Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG gearbox buzz!

Delighted to be able to help! My problem started with an oil change in the haldex (?) gearbox and I think it must have either been disconnected or a spike which reset the software. The problem in the dsg was in 4th and I tried an auto electrician who applied the latest software to no effect. Back to VW West Yorkshire who were outstanding and applied a patch listed as sorting a “grinding“ noise - instantly fixed it.
so a known issue and ask for the fix for the “grinding” noise.

Delighted to be able to help! My problem started with an oil change in the haldex (?) gearbox and I think it must have either been disconnected or a spike which reset the software. The problem in the dsg was in 4th and I tried an auto electrician who applied the latest software to no effect. Back to VW West Yorkshire who were outstanding and applied a patch listed as sorting a “grinding“ noise - instantly fixed it.
so a known issue and ask for the fix for the “grinding” noise.
Many thanks @Andy Graham.
I’ll ask the Indy if he can find anything about this patch.
To me it sounds like a solenoid operating which I think @VW Guru mentioned.
The mechanic thinks it sounds like the gearbox venting which could also tie in with the cooling valve as also mentioned in this thread.

Thanks again and I’ll update the thread for others if I get anything sorted.

Many thanks @Andy Graham.
I’ll ask the Indy if he can find anything about this patch.
To me it sounds like a solenoid operating which I think @VW Guru mentioned.
The mechanic thinks it sounds like the gearbox venting which could also tie in with the cooling valve as also mentioned in this thread.

Thanks again and I’ll update the thread for others if I get anything sorted.

A bit of an update on this.
Basic settings reset on the gearbox today but the buzzing noise is still present.

Still told there is no software update available.
Does anyone know if the software can been re-flashed or anything like that?

Thanks

A bit of an update on this.
Basic settings reset on the gearbox today but the buzzing noise is still present.

Still told there is no software update available.
Does anyone know if the software can been re-flashed or anything like that?

Thanks
There is a different software config (from TVS engineering) available for the DSG gearbox ... but not sure if it will eliminate the buzzing noise. It definitely does make the gearbox perform better.

Speak to Olli at BOGNOR motors - bmvs.co.uk, or contact him on the T6forum. Tel: 01243 865515 Email: serviceadvisor@bmvs.co.uk ▪ Web: bmvs.co.uk

I can see that you are in NI. Search for TVS Engineering dealers near you and discuss if this upgrade can help.

Hi
It was a patch applied by the excellent vw commercial dealer in Cleckheaton that was described to “fix a grinding noise in 5th”. I had already had the software updated and this did not fix it - there is a known dsg issue that vw have fixed with the patch so please keep digging. I have not had any problems since.

Software number update:
Thought I’d add to this thread as had a similar issue; brief buzzing noise like the DSG is trying to change gear. After reading this thread I realised that it only happened in 5th gear when it was driving with no particular link to weather under load or not.
My local dealer kept saying that they had come across it before and ultimately I would need a new gearbox.
Fortunately I called the Cleckheaton van centre who offered to fix it if I took it in but as it was a long drive offered to send me the software update number for my local dealer to do. Amazing service from them with a very helpful attitude.

The software number I think is:
2042275/2

Problem fixed for £110!

I run a lovely 180 biturbo just hitting 60k miles! That is a whole different issue!!

Back