Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG problems

P

Paul Roe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have a T6 ocean with DSG
has anyone had problems with the DSG ?
mine has a very nasty habit of rolling back down hills when you least expect it. usually at junctions and i feel that it could be linked to the stop/start

I have a T6 ocean with DSG
has anyone had problems with the DSG ?
mine has a very nasty habit of rolling back down hills when you least expect it. usually at junctions and i feel that it could be linked to the stop/start
Nothing like that has appeared on the Forum or on other Forums dealing with the T6.
Nor have I ever had such problems on my T5 with the same DSG box and Stop/Start.

Personally, I cannot work out how the vehicle can roll down a hill if the Footbrake/Hand Brake or PARK is engaged nor how this can be related to Stop/Start as that is only activated if the Footbrake or Park Function is engaged.

Could you be a little more informative regarding exactly what is happening?

Intrigued myself WelshGas ?

No issues on our T5 or T6 DSG Hill hold and foot brake works a treat

Nothing like that has appeared on the Forum or on other Forums dealing with the T6.
Nor have I ever had such problems on my T5 with the same DSG box and Stop/Start.

Personally, I cannot work out how the vehicle can roll down a hill if the Footbrake/Hand Brake or PARK is engaged nor how this can be related to Stop/Start as that is only activated if the Footbrake or Park Function is engaged.

Could you be a little more informative regarding exactly what is happening?

Imagine you pull up at a T junction but the road is not level, i.e. you are on an incline.
The engine stops (due to the stop start) and when the road is clear you take your foot off the brake and the engine starts but the van starts rolling back towards the car that is waiting behind you, if you hit the accelerator the clutch kicks in and you start going forward, more often than not i hit the brake again and then have to apply the hand brake before i try again and then release the hand brake as i feel it start to pull forward.

I have also had it do this when the stop start was not active. In fact just the other day i was parked on a hill.
came back to the van and some muppet had parked about 2 inches from my front bumper so i had to reverse back (down hill a little way up to the car behind me) when i stuck the selector back into drive and took my foot off the brake it started rolling back towards the parked car behind me.

To be honest it seems random as to when it does it.

Imagine you pull up at a T junction but the road is not level, i.e. you are on an incline.
The engine stops (due to the stop start) and when the road is clear you take your foot off the brake and the engine starts but the van starts rolling back towards the car that is waiting behind you, if you hit the accelerator the clutch kicks in and you start going forward, more often than not i hit the brake again and then have to apply the hand brake before i try again and then release the hand brake as i feel it start to pull forward.

I have also had it do this when the stop start was not active. In fact just the other day i was parked on a hill.
came back to the van and some muppet had parked about 2 inches from my front bumper so i had to reverse back (down hill a little way up to the car behind me) when i stuck the selector back into drive and took my foot off the brake it started rolling back towards the parked car behind me.

To be honest it seems random as to when it does it.
It sounds as if the Hill Hold Assist is not working. Nothing to do with DSG or Stop/Start. Manual Gearbox vehicles have same syste. When Footbrake is taken Off brakes stay on for a few seconds until Drivetrain is engaged.

It sounds as if the Hill Hold Assist is not working. Nothing to do with DSG or Stop/Start.

+1

A defect with the electronics settings perhaps...

Either way, @Paul Roe I suggest it is a warranty issue for the dealer to sort out. As Stop/start engages so hill hold should kick in to allow you to engage the clutch and pull away. There should be no roll back for a couple of seconds at least.

Why would you need Hill assist with an automatic box ?

because it is not a old type auto it's the new "automated" gearbox, my mondeo PowerShift is stunning compared to the DSG. One of the plus points of the automated gear boxes is far better MPG

Why would you need Hill assist with an automatic box ?
Because it is NOT an Automatic Gear Box in the original sense. NO Torque Converter. It is in fact 2 x Manual Gearboxes with Automatic Clutch Packs that is Hydraulically activated and Computer Controlled.

Because it is NOT an Automatic Gear Box in the original sense. NO Torque Converter. It is in fact 2 x Manual Gearboxes with Automatic Clutch Packs that is Hydraulically activated and Computer Controlled.
Right. I´m not getting one, it sounds like they´re sh*t.
Stickshift for me :cool:

Hi the dsg box itself is a hydraulicly actuated manual gearbox with two clutches so in essence it works the same as a manual box there is a possibility of roll back. At transporter range vehicles this includes California have hill hold assist not the full hill hold system found on vw passenger vehicles. The system should hold the brakes for approximately 3 seconds to allow you enough time to get off the brake and on to accelerator, stop start makes no difference as the hill hold assist function is part of the ABS program. As you lift your foot off the brake about 1 inch before the end of its travel the brake switch tells the engine Ecu to start the engine the brake pressure is not yet fully released. Test your hill assist function by aiming the vehicle up hill in drive then release the brake the vehicle should sit still for a few seconds then the brakes will release and you will start to roll back. If you start to roll instantly book your vehicle in with your local dealer as there will obviously a fault.

Hi the dsg box itself is a hydraulicly actuated manual gearbox with two clutches so in essence it works the same as a manual box there is a possibility of roll back. At transporter range vehicles this includes California have hill hold assist not the full hill hold system found on vw passenger vehicles. The system should hold the brakes for approximately 3 seconds to allow you enough time to get off the brake and on to accelerator, stop start makes no difference as the hill hold assist function is part of the ABS program. As you lift your foot off the brake about 1 inch before the end of its travel the brake switch tells the engine Ecu to start the engine the brake pressure is not yet fully released. Test your hill assist function by aiming the vehicle up hill in drive then release the brake the vehicle should sit still for a few seconds then the brakes will release and you will start to roll back. If you start to roll instantly book your vehicle in with your local dealer as there will obviously a fault.

OI have tried this test and it seems to sit there all day and hold, but them when you least expect it you take you foot of the brake to pull of on a hill and it starts to roll back. It seems random.
it's due a service soon so i will get them to look at it, but i was stunned at the number of people complaining about this on various forums, my ford power shift is stunning, hence the reason i went for the DSG

Right. I´m not getting one, it sounds like they´re sh*t.
Stickshift for me :cool:
Well they do take a little bit of understanding to use, but you do have Manual, Sports Mode and Normal Mode , probably a bit much for some use to just a manual gearbox. Developed by Porsche back in the 1980’s and used by the VW group since 2003 .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox
Also more posts about Gearbox/clutch/flywheel failures than DSG .

In the OP it seems the problem is with Hill Hold Assist which is common to Manual and DSG Vehicles.

OI have tried this test and it seems to sit there all day and hold, but them when you least expect it you take you foot of the brake to pull of on a hill and it starts to roll back. It seems random.
it's due a service soon so i will get them to look at it, but i was stunned at the number of people complaining about this on various forums, my ford power shift is stunning, hence the reason i went for the DSG
I would suggest reading some of the Posts that Google Flags up. Not as straightforward as it seems when looking at the list.

OMG just put "DSG roll back" into google !

A 2017 vehicle should not be having a problem so it is all down to the Dealer correcting under warranty.

I have never come across this type of box until I bought my first Cali and to be honest I am very impressed with it compared to other stuff I have chugged around in. I hope you soon have it fixed and can enjoy the vehicle as you should be doing.

I would get a diagnostic scan by someone with VCDS (VAGCOM) and keep the printout before it goes back to the dealer. Then you will be forearmed when they tell you there are no faults on the vehicle if the scan shows that there were.
ABS unit or DSG faults may show up, the ABS unit controls Hill Hold I think but there may be other sensor faults that could contribute.

Rod

Hi @Paul Roe i worked for Ford many years ago and they have obviously come along way since there cvt gearboxes so I will take your word for it the power shift is a good box having not driven one, it’s the same set up as the DSG box just a different manufacturer. When the dsg box first arrived with vw I would have advised no one to by one as they needed teething problems sorting out. Today tho I would recommend everyone has one they are a pleasure to drive and vastly improve the performance of the vehicle over manual. I would agree with @WelshGas the issues lies with your hill hold assist not your dsg box.

Back