Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

150PS manual or DSG (Cali Ocean)?

Seaside Sussex

Seaside Sussex

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We went to look at the California Ocean yesterday and were mightily impressed.

Wondering about other's perspectives on the manual 6-speed vs DSG gear box.

Husband's preference is manual (that's what we are used to) but I wonder if, when considering resale down the line, the more expensive, though cheaper to tax, DSG would be a better option.

We will be speccing cruise control too (though not ACC as we have this on our Golf and, having used it, prefer the standard CC). For driving long distances, I can imagine DSG with cruise control would be a superior pairing?

Many thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I cannot comment on manual as I have only ever driven cali with manual box for 1 week :D

However DSG with standard cruise control makes for totally effortless cruising. I love it.

You will NEVER want to drive a manual ever again after being with DSG - my opinion sorry for what its worth!

Check out Autotrader and see what sells faster but I wouldn't bother wondering if the world is still spinning when you come to sell - just enjoy the sublime pleasure and ease of automatic - but don't take anyone's word go down and try it first!

Thanks @Julian_Camper_Man

We purchased a golf recently and I loved the DSG, but didn't spec it as I need something to keep me awake driving an hour home after working 12.5 hour night shifts. I told the dealer it would be dangerous for me to have it on our main car ;)

Said this before and will say it again. Had it on a big diesel VW a Touran for 12 years. I like to drive and enjoy driving, at first I used to stick it in manual occasionally but only ever use it know on very very steep descents and to make sure it's still working. It's awesome but as JCM says go and try it.
Good luck

Mike

I never what to drive a non DSG again

We went to look at the California Ocean yesterday and were mightily impressed.

Wondering about other's perspectives on the manual 6-speed vs DSG gear box.

Husband's preference is manual (that's what we are used to) but I wonder if, when considering resale down the line, the more expensive, though cheaper to tax, DSG would be a better option.

We will be speccing cruise control too (though not ACC as we have this on our Golf and, having used it, prefer the standard CC). For driving long distances, I can imagine DSG with cruise control would be a superior pairing?

Many thanks.
Tell Hubby the DSG also has Sports Mode and a Manual Mode. Just NO clutch. Combined with Cruise Control and the switchable " Coast Function " plenty of things to keep him happy.

33+ years of driving Manual Cars, 28 years as an advanced driver - all manual cars & minibuses.
Collected DSG 150 Beach on Friday - first 'auto' ever.
70+ miles on M6 - with DSG and ACC - pairing is superb.
Happy that we made the right choice to buy DSG, some adjustment to driving style required, but so far it it seems effortless.

I used to have manual gear boxes and never thought of getting autos - but since VW brought out the DSG I've never had manuals! The DSG is the best of both worlds. I love the ease that it works and takes the stress out of driving. I love the way you can manually change gear as well or hold it in a gear. The sport mode is great too when you want to press on.

I wish you could spec paddles on the steering wheel but unfortunately on the Cali it doesn't seem to be an option. I must have had over 25 VW or Audi cars now with DSG. Never have a problem with any of them. The economy figures are good too. Just came back from a trip to Anglesey this weekend in our 150dsg. California and averaged 37.7 over 230 miles. We dont have cruise control in our van unfortunately. In my opinion the automatic means I only am using one foot anyway so pretty relaxed. But I've had cars with ACC and it's brilliant. So I'd agree it makes a great pair of options.

Go for the DSG and enjoy the drive.

DSG every time. Active cruise control works seamlessly with it. Our previous T5 was a manual, it was fine but the DSG is fantastic.

For a sportscar i prefer manual. For my daily driver i have 8 speed auto and no way i am getting back to manual. I ordered my cali with DSG. These modern automatics shift better and faster than you. Go DSG!

If you have the choice I would go for the DSG. It makes the driving in all situations so much easier. I have the manual and DSG is the only thing that I miss. Specially when you go around town, go shopping or driving in congestion.

Back