Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Duvets for Scotland in May

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We could really do with some help on what tog duvet to take camping in Scotland in May. Having read various threads here we've decided to invest in a goose-feather duvet for us on the lower bed (the kids will have their sleeping bags up top).

One thought is to buy a 9 tog for our Scotland trip plus a 4.5 tog for our core camping in South England and France during the summer. However, we'd rather buy just once (they are expensive) so I wondered if a 4.5 tog and blanket would be sufficient.

Grateful for any views and personal experience.

Depends if, and what setting, you have the heating on .. it can get pretty cold with no heating even in the "summer" months

I don't really want the heater on when asleep, but I guess I would if we under-prepared on duvets!

Maybe get two 4.5's, if it's warm you can sleep on one and if if gets cold just move it to the top. This is what we do but I'm not sure of the tog values. Also, take the heating remote fob to bed and turn it on when you wake up (or set the timer)!

Regarding cost, does it really need to be a goose feather one?

We're happy downstairs in negative temps with a 4.5 (and no heating on) we have a couple of thin blankets that we can use when lounging about during the evenings when its cold. These can then be added on top of the quilt as an extra layer or used to wrap things in transit etc.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We use an "All Seasons" duvet from Argus, which is in 2 parts, 1 x 4.5 tog and 1 x 9 tog, each in a double duvet cover and we sleep on 1 with 1 on top, depending on the temperature. Also have sheet for very hot weather. They all fit into a vacuum bag and we use a battery powered hand vac and when vacuumed they fit in the underbed drawer. So all eventualities covered.

We liked the idea of goose feather for the compactability, but if we can get away with a 4.5 synthetic (and perhaps a spare blanket, that I know we'll take anyway) then that shouldn't take up too much storage space. Love the vacuum pack idea.
Thanks all.

In May it can sometimes be cold but not often that cold that a 9 tog is necessary.

I slept last night in freezing temperatures underneath a 10 tog and woke up to put the heater on at about 5am, otherwise comfortable all night, roof up and a 15 knot breeze outside.

The upstairs bed will be down, which will make the downstairs area considerably warmer at night also (There is a lot of fresh air pours into the van from the bellows and equally it lets lots of hot air blow out unless you are using a topper).

If it was me I would take a 4.5 and have the back up of the heater if necessary. I completely agree with Down, I love it but that is the old mountaineer in me (and as an aside, what a weepy moment I had to day :()...

I would also add, my down 10 tog, with cover, is no lightweight and in the confines of a cali rolling it out, throwing it flat, rolling it up in the morning, stuffing it in its bag ... not hard work but not a light exersize either. My next trip, which will probably be Nothumbria, in March, will be with a 4.5.

Thank you for your useful input as always Jen. My wife, also Jen, is concerned about your weepy moment comment. I'd have a go at that 42l if I were you.

Thank you for your useful input as always Jen. My wife, also Jen, is concerned about your weepy moment comment. I'd have a go at that 42l if I were you.

You can tell Jen that I suffer from chronic nostalgia.

Many many years in my very formative late teens/early 20's I lost two friends within a month in climbing accidents, coincidentally both of them Doctors.

One was a surgeon, working as a GP in Ullapool, when he was killed. Yesterday I was in Ullapool after having Albert rescued.

Today, now, I am parked 8 miles from Ellon, where his grave is. I am taking some flowers tomorrow, probably be ever so weepy, then putting the past behind me.

They all fit into a vacuum bag and we use a battery powered hand vac and when vacuumed they fit in the underbed drawer.
Great tip! Thanks.

What sort of vac, will one of those Dysons do it?

We could really do with some help on what tog duvet to take camping in Scotland in May. Having read various threads here we've decided to invest in a goose-feather duvet for us on the lower bed (the kids will have their sleeping bags up top).

One thought is to buy a 9 tog for our Scotland trip plus a 4.5 tog for our core camping in South England and France during the summer. However, we'd rather buy just once (they are expensive) so I wondered if a 4.5 tog and blanket would be sufficient.

Grateful for any views and personal experience.
Hello

We use a Duvalay topper downstairs with a Vango Dormir Double which is extremely comfortable & very flexible. The top & bottom are two different thicknesses so you can use it whichever way you want depending on season. It can also be zipped all round as a double or used as two separate single sleeping bags. In the morning we just roll it up inside the Duvalay & it lives on the rear cargo shelf. We love it & has been used all year round.
Steve & Gill

Good idea for those that can cope with sleeping bags. But one thing I'm certain of is that our campervan will see an end to fidgety twisty sleeping bags - forever! If I was a fork my sleeping bag would be the spaghetti! :)

That's a sad story Jen. Hope Albert is feeling better too. Flat tyre? Stuck in the mud? Nothing more serious we hope.

That's a sad story Jen. Hope Albert is feeling better too. Flat tyre? Stuck in the mud? Nothing more serious we hope.

Two shredded tyres, hit something hard and sharp on a remote highland road. VW assist / AA were excellent. I got recovered to Ullapool where Ullapool motors had arranged for two tyres to be sent over from Inverness, so they were there ready and waiting for me.

Brrrr. I've got a 15 tog on my bed at home atm! We recently bought an all seasons duck down duvet for us and have been happy with the 9 tog in April/October whilst the children had a 13 tog duck down in the roof. Had to put the heater on early hours to take the edge of the temperature. 4.5 tog for peak summer camping only for us but even then we did have to use the heater in France this summer as it got quite cold on our return journey!

Yes, the Dyson hand re-chargeable. Re-charge when on mains. However you do need a length of 38mm outer diameter tubing to use as the tool fitting has a lip/clip which stops you getting a good seal. I got a 4" length of Ali tube from eBay.

I think you'd be fine with a 4.5 down tog plus a throw/blanket on top if it is chilly. Certainly that's what we would do.

However, in all of this you don't mention the kids up top in their sleeping bags. I do hope you have decent bags for them since as we know it's several degrees cooler up top and you could well get frost at night right through May. I suggest cheapo bags won't be up to the job.

Thanks Ewan. Do you use a 4.5 plus throw when the upstairs bed is in use?

We did hire a Cali for a break last October in Somerset. We all had sleeping bags that time. The kids bags are goodies and I think that they'll be fine.

Yes, we have Duvalays for the four of us with 4.5 tog duvets and use these upstairs and downstairs. They're perfect in summer months but we tend to take an extra throw for Spring/Autumn and then an extra duvet for cold winter weather (especially upstairs ...brrr). Duvalays also have the advantage that you can effectively make them into a double bed by folding the two top duvets on top of each other (ie 2 x 4.5 tog) if you want to be extra cosy. I'd much rather add layers if it's cold than roast in warm weather.