Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric California ( on the way )

How can the prestige German marques be so far behind Tesla? None of them see to understand what the customer wants (or they do but are unable to produce it). Even the ID3 is starting to look like a missed opportunity.
Because they continue to sell IC cars and make money doing it. I love Elon Musk genius, but he's isn't making any money with Tesla yet.

Because they continue to sell IC cars and make money doing it. I love Elon Musk genius, but he's isn't making any money with Tesla yet.
Tesla made a profit for the last 4 quarters...although not much and they are still spending a lot.

Tesla made a profit for the last 4 quarters...although not much and they are still spending a lot.
it works out at about slightly less than a 1000usd per car. What's the average px for a sold Tesla ? 50k, let's be very generous. That is a 2% margin, closing an eye also on how the second last profit came about just for the porpoise of a possible inclusion on the S&P500.
VW averages about 17-18%, peaking with porsche at 25%...
I'm all for Elon, but I was just trying to answer why the Germans aren't in a rush to change business model away from IC cars.

Yes but.
I understand (anecdotally) that the people who’s yacht she sailed on to Lisbon flew out to Hampton especially to make the voyage, so whilst Greta didn’t fly, she moved her carbon footprint to others. Smoke and mirrors?
Or maybe not.

She sailed to Lisbon on La Vagabonde, a family who live full time on their boat and have done for many years.

Or maybe not.

She sailed to Lisbon on La Vagabonde, a family who live full time on their boat and have done for many years.

OK that seems to dispel the dodgy anecdote I read.

Or maybe not.

Or maybe Yes.

Mode of transport: Yacht
Carbon impact: It’s complicated

Thunberg’s original journey across the Atlantic was aboard a “zero-carbon” racing yacht, with her passage paid for by its owners. Conditions across the two-week journey were basic but bearable, with no toilet or electric light onboard.

But while her own trip may not have had any significant climate impact, some of the crew members who traveled with her returned to Europe on flights. Others were also flown out for the yacht’s transatlantic voyage. While these flights were offset, it would arguably have been less impactful for Thunberg to offset her one flight, rather than necessitating half a dozen people to do the same.

This was a different trip, from Plymouth to America, and two crew flew out, and the emissions were offset.
Cova said the team recognizes it's "an imperfect solution" but believes offsetting the emissions by funding carbon-reducing projects elsewhere "is better than doing nothing."
Two flight across the ocean cause a per person CO2 emission equal to my annual CO2 emissions of the Cali with 7000mi mileage
If it’s so easy to offset such a large CO2 amount, where is the problem?
I’d be a happy to hear what this project was, so maybe I could follow too?

As this thread been running off-topic for a while now , i will try to put it back on track...

Cova said the team recognizes it's "an imperfect solution" but believes offsetting the emissions by funding carbon-reducing projects elsewhere "is better than doing nothing."
Two flight across the ocean cause a per person CO2 emission equal to my annual CO2 emissions of the Cali with 7000mi mileage
If it’s so easy to offset such a large CO2 amount, where is the problem?
I’d be a happy to hear what this project was, so maybe I could follow too?
Ok

I don’t understand why VW is not trying to go Hybrid first. Especially for those of us driving in mountains or hilly regions, that would be a game changer without limitation of trying to find a charging station. For me right now electric is out of consideration, too much hassle and planning to just get from one place to another.

I don’t understand why VW is not trying to go Hybrid first. Especially for those of us driving in mountains or hilly regions, that would be a game changer without limitation of trying to find a charging station. For me right now electric is out of consideration, too much hassle and planning to just get from one place to another.

Because at the moment hybrids are just vanity projects, twice the cost and complexity for little gain.

They need to swap the focus of having an engine that does most of the work with a little bit of round town on the battery to getting the battery to do the bulk of driving with a little ICE for emergencies, but again it starts getting expensive.

Well Tesla's " Battery Day " was interesting. NOT.

Tesla's integrating the battery into the structure of the vehicle will make a battery change ? impossible, so a real throw away item making 2nd hand prices ridiculously low.

Airbus have just launched a serious hydrogen powered aircraft development programme. This is likely to be a sign of things to come, as the hydrogen infrastructure will be developed to support it.

Tesla's integrating the battery into the structure of the vehicle will make a battery change ? impossible, so a real throw away item making 2nd hand prices ridiculously low.
Agree, they talked about the average lifespan of a vehicle being 15 years.
No mention of the million mile battery.

Back