Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric windows

Brownbetty

Brownbetty

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone, I've a problem with E/W not working, I've checked the fuses in the box under the cupholders where the book says they are located, supposed to be number 28 & 5amp but it's not blown so I've checked everyone that's 5amp and all are okay
So does anyone know what else it could be.
Thanks in advance.

Does the passenger side go down from the driver side switch? You could swap the wires around on the switches to prove the switch is ok. Also try wiggling the wires when the door is open. Inside the convoluted conduit. I would check your fuses again too.

Does the passenger side go down from the driver side switch? You could swap the wires around on the switches to prove the switch is ok. Also try wiggling the wires when the door is open. Inside the convoluted conduit. I would check your fuses again too.
Hi flying banana, nothing on both windows, and I've checked ever 5amp twice in that compartment, going to give the wires a wiggle now.

Hi everyone, I've a problem with E/W not working, I've checked the fuses in the box under the cupholders where the book says they are located, supposed to be number 28 & 5amp but it's not blown so I've checked everyone that's 5amp and all are okay
So does anyone know what else it could be.
Thanks in advance.
Where are you getting that fuse position from? I can’t find any allocation for the windows (looking at the 32 page document 803/1) and neither Sc 28 nor Sb 28 say windows.

Where are you getting that fuse position from? I can’t find any allocation for the windows (looking at the 32 page document 803/1) and neither Sc 28 nor Sb 28 say windows.
Hi ArunAlec, I got them from here IMG_20211114_140814990.jpgIMG_20211114_140854751.jpg

Have you checked lozs fuse guide in the download section? The fuse locations could be wrong. Does the passenger side operate from the passenger window switch?

Can’t argue with that! Those were the days when VW were thoughtful enough to provide a fuse chart!
I might just have to pull out everyone and check them just for peace of mind, I can't think of anything else.

Is it a t6? I have a list of fuses for mine. I will have a look when home

Is it a t6? I have a list of fuses for mine. I will have a look when home
No it's a t5 57 plate, I've just pulled every 5amp & replaced with a new one I had & retried windows & still no good, I've then pulled out every fuse & checked them & all seem ok.

I'm sure leccy windows are more than 5a

T5's do suffer from switches failing. I had to replace mine several times. they are not expensive to purchase though

T5's do suffer from switches failing. I had to replace mine several times. they are not expensive to purchase though
I'm now thinking switch but I've got a few questions before I start dismantling the switch.
1, is there anything in side the switch I could fix or is it just a swop over?
2, why would both driver & passenger side not work, is it cause the driving side is the main one & if that fails it knocks out the passenger side.
Cheers.

I'm now thinking switch but I've got a few questions before I start dismantling the switch.
2, why would both driver & passenger side not work, is it cause the driving side is the main one & if that fails it knocks out the passenger side.
Cheers.
It’s a non serviceable part
cheap to replace
very easy to pop out the trim unit and replace the switches

does seem strange that both switches have stopped working at the same time. Switches shop be independent of each other I.e if the driver one fails the passenger one should still work the passenger window.

Last edited:
Cheers.
When mine failed both windows did not work but changing just the drivers side double switch seemed to solve the problem. I think it fails because it is generally used more than the passenger switch and also because rain water gets inside when the window is ajar.

Please, anybody can tell me if the electric side sliding door of the T6.1 Ocean can be use manual? Thanks

It’s a non serviceable part
cheap to replace
very easy to pop out the trim unit and replace the switches

does seem strange that both switches have stopped working at the same time. Switches shop be independent of each other I.e if the driver one fails the passenger one should still work the passenger window.

I've read on a forum somewhere that it's a thermal fuse located in the BCM is this inside the engine compartment? Anyone heard that before!

See the link above in post #16

then follow the link attached to that post
then see post #8 :
#8 · Aug 20, 2017

The fuse is a thermal one and is located by the BCM behind the lower dash on the drivers side.”

See the link above in post #16

then follow the link attached to that post
then see post #8 :
#8 · Aug 20, 2017

The fuse is a thermal one and is located by the BCM behind the lower dash on the drivers side.”
Is that inside the engine compartment, there's only the fuse box nxt to drives side inside the van.

Please, anybody can tell me if the electric side sliding door of the T6.1 Ocean can be use manual? Thanks
If the same as T5 there should be a button on dashboard that disables the power it may be next to the open/close button for the side doo.

Is that inside the engine compartment, there's only the fuse box nxt to drives side inside the van.
Google is your friend

56918F63-1DF3-453A-B9D1-08D40B7FD34F.png

I believe this is the type of thermal relay you are looking for

I've read on a forum somewhere that it's a thermal fuse located in the BCM is this inside the engine compartment? Anyone heard that before!
Thermal fuses aren't really used anymore, they have been replaced by Electronic devices.

They were used were customers suffered nuisance fuse blows that could be caused by either mis-use or certain conditions. I suspect in this case, if you had frozen windows and kept trying to operate them, a normal fuse would blow, by using a thermal fuse the operation will come back after a short period without the need to change a fuse, as the thermal fuse self resets once it has cooled down.

I suspect the issue with this vehicle is the drivers switch pack. You will find in most cars if you get a conflict between what the drivers window switch pack is requesting vs what the passenger switch is asking they either do nothing. I.e stop or not move, sometimes they will only go down. So i suspect the driver's switch pack is faulty meaning that the the passenger switch is being ignored.

Back