Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electrical problems with 3 month old California Ocean

WestSussexSpike

WestSussexSpike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems to those my Cali is currently suffering from?

About a month ago, the interior lights started to flicker and the camping display showed all manner of warnings, sometimes individually but more recently all together. In no particular order:

1. Pop up roof fault, sometimes followed by a "manually secure the roof" warning.
2. Fault in water level sensor
3. Fridge not operating

All these warnings were accompanied by a dizzying number of graphic red warnings on the display icons. I'm sure that a lot of you must be thinking that the simplest answer is just to go back to the supplying (or local) dealer. I have tried this. On the first visit they claimed to be unable to find any faults, saying that they had probably fixed themselves which, in my experience, rarely happens. The vehicle has now been with them for almost a week (for a second time) and although they now acknowledge the faults, their proposed course of action is to reset the vehicles operating system, which I fear may be dodging the problem.

My fear is that the problem re-occurs while on holiday far from a VW dealer! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar, clearly related problems and what the fix was.

Any advice gratefully received!

1. Pop up roof fault, sometimes followed by a "manually secure the roof" warning.
3. Fridge not operating
1. Never seen this, suggest it is indeed a fault that should be fixed under warranty.
2. I wonder what your fault/problem is. I thought my waste water sensor may be faulty, as it always showed some yellow water even if empty. I should have read the manual more closely, I believe it only has 2 states: empty (which does still show some yellow) or full (which shows it full yellow).
3. Even on the highest setting it doesn't get cold at all? Of course a fault that should be fixed under warranty.
No need to take your pride and joy to the dealer you bought from. Some understand California's, some less so. I have heard tales of VW technicians putting the roof down without opening a door, damaging roof bellows. If you're near Breeze Poole (I see you're in west Sussex), they definitely understand them...

How dirty are you willing to get your hands?

1. Never seen this, suggest it is indeed a fault that should be fixed under warranty.
2. I wonder what your fault/problem is. I thought my waste water sensor may be faulty, as it always showed some yellow water even if empty. I should have read the manual more closely, I believe it only has 2 states: empty (which does still show some yellow) or full (which shows it full yellow).
3. Even on the highest setting it doesn't get cold at all? Of course a fault that should be fixed under warranty.
No need to take your pride and joy to the dealer you bought from. Some understand California's, some less so. I have heard tales of VW technicians putting the roof down without opening a door, damaging roof bellows. If you're near Breeze Poole (I see you're in west Sussex), they definitely understand them...
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I know it's under warranty, but the problem is that the dealer just doesn't really have a clue and I'm reluctant to take it away and start the process with another one. I was hoping to point them in the right direction, which does sound rather ludicrous!

low battery voltage or flat batteries could be your issue. try hook up

Hi

As mentioned above not sure if you’d be willing to travel Poole or even our Portsmouth branch and we hopefully might be able to assist further than your local dealer. Please message me directly and I could get someone to contact you and see if we can help.

reset ? by pulling the fuses

It does a bit. If they don't get it right next time, I'd cut my losses and start with the professionals...
The trouble is, they are the professionals! This is the latest part of a long saga starting the day I took delivery. I would be of a mind to reject the vehicle, but I just couldn't replace it with another 4Motion!

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems to those my Cali is currently suffering from?

About a month ago, the interior lights started to flicker and the camping display showed all manner of warnings, sometimes individually but more recently all together. In no particular order:

3. Fridge not operating

All these warnings were accompanied by a dizzying number of graphic red warnings on the display icons. I'm sure that a lot of you must be thinking that the simplest answer is just to go back to the supplying (or local) dealer. I have tried this. On the first visit they claimed to be unable to find any faults, saying that they had probably fixed themselves which, in my experience, rarely happens. The vehicle has now been with them for almost a week (for a second time) and although they now acknowledge the faults, their proposed course of action is to reset the vehicles operating system, which I fear may be dodging the problem.

My fear is that the problem re-occurs while on holiday far from a VW dealer! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar, clearly related problems and what the fix was.

Any advice gratefully received!
We have a 6.1. When the dashboard, and the camper control panel, kept lighting up like the proverbial Christmas tree it turned out to be the engine battery was nearly dead. I changed the engine battery for a new one and nothing since.

The trouble is, they are the professionals! This is the latest part of a long saga starting the day I took delivery. I would be of a mind to reject the vehicle, but I just couldn't replace it with another 4Motion!
They're not all California professionals. They should be, but some are close to clueless about the camping area. Breeze know what is what, no need to reject the vehicle.

3 electrical items on different circuits = check volts.

We had a fresh water sensor fault, but on a MY21 Coast, but without any of the other issues.
Replaced under warranty at Poole

How dirty are you willing to get your hands?
This would be good info. Are you looking for a good workshop? Are you going to pull out a multimeter? Scan the OBD fault codes? Buzz wires? What level of advice do you want?

Back