Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Elevating Roof

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
As some of you may know, I have been busy fitting my favourite California features to my Transporter window van.

Now that the kitchen and cupboards are in place and fully functioning along with the rear picnic chair trim and chairs, I am now starting to consider fitting a genuine California roof. These roofs appear to be far superior to a £4000 aftermarket version so I am convinced this would be the best route to take.

I have noticed that some appear to have material windows on he side as well as the front and some only have them on the sides. what is the difference and is the extra window an optional extra or age related version.

Many thanks for your help once again.

Andrew.

Hi,
I know this to be an age related thing. Our 2011 Cali has windows along the sides but a friend has a 2009 Cali and this only has window at the front. I think they changed around 2009-2010. Maybe someone here can provide the exact date...

Sept 2010 is when vw changed or there about's although some people that have had their canvas changed have 3 windows on older van's

Are you sure you want the added complication and potential issues with the powered roof? Understand your point that the fit is probably better - but although I have a full Cali I would have gone with a manual roof if I could. Don't suppose there are many roofs from scrapped beach's yet

Kev, you are absolutely right, had a look at some old Cali brochures and the earliest model shown on the brochure is Sept 2010 with the three windows...

Couldnt agree more with the comment about a manual roof

additional front opening vent is a factory option for home market. It comes as part of the standard SE spec used for UK Calis. Dont know if this has changed over the years however. Have seen front vent on both pre and post facelift UK export market models.Brochure pictures alone are not always reliable sources of fact...maybe the spec listing mentions?

David Eccles said:
additional front opening vent is a factory option for home market. It comes as part of the standard SE spec used for UK Calis. Dont know if this has changed over the years however. Have seen front vent on both pre and post facelift UK export market models.Brochure pictures alone are not always reliable sources of fact...maybe the spec listing mentions?

Three vents just part of an option package for LHD markets - I think the three vents was made standard for the UK market just after the first post facelift models - some 09 and 10 plates have two.

Not sure if it was an option here in the UK before it was standard. Beach roofs always two and seem to be everywhere. :)

Having considered your comments and received quotations for a new high spec aftermarket pop top I am back with the donor California roof as our favoured option.

The Cali donor roof option would be cheaper than the high spec SCA roof and even if the pump or hydraulic rams failed in the future, the repair fees would still come to a total less than the aftermarket roof.

The California roof looks so much better from the inside than any aftermarket option and the bellows are of a much higher grade fabric.

Any advice on common points of wear would be much appreciated before I go to view some donor roofs?

Andrew.

Brochures are a reasonable indicator although one must bear in mind that a reasonable number of calis have at some stage had the fabric replaced either because of damage or shrinkage to the rear section. Hence why we see some of the older calis with three windows. It does vary from country to country. I spoke to a Cali dealer in spain who said there was a time when calis were suffering shrinkage to the rear section of fabric. In med. countries most don't have toppers so water runs down the roof, soaks the rear section and subsequently dries quickly through the heat. Apparently this process was causing shrinkage at the rear and pulling off the fabric from the rim which is why they went through a process of replacing quite a number at an early stage...

Beware the cali electric roof they still haven't got it right -see the you tube doublebacker new video clips towards the end and just see how the roof twists going up and this on a vehicle that costs over 50K
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oe5rpsxQsrM
It's on the Danbury website if you can't get it via his link