Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine replacement.....

J

John Mcshea

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hello,
We recently arrived back in the uk having left our 1995 Westfalia in Croatia in the capable and helpful hands of a local garage. We have a hole in our engine and I am told it is not so good for successful driving. please see attached pic. Anyway, clearly we need a new engine for our wagon of dreams and have basically three options it seems; And old engine from a scrap yard (£500ish +labour), a reconditioned engine (£2000ish + labour) or a new engine (£5000ish + labour).

Our van is 1995 which is 24 years old the engine is a 1.9TD (ABL) Not the fastest on the road but was fine for us, economical and frankly fast enough for something packed with loads of gear, family inside and bikes strapped to it. Some would say that basic economics would suggest an old engine is best as she is an old van, but the thing is apart from her engine and likely other mechanical parts she's mint, as though straight out of the factory, not a flake of rust, original paint, excellent factory fitted Westfalia interior.... She has done around 90,000miles in her time and I suspect has been stored well and unused for periods (she's left hand drive).

My query is for advice, its obvious that the more you spend the better the result, money can always be found but we don't have an abundance of it and need to be as careful as possible. We hope to keep our van for a long time as she is perfect for us being small enough to get into the mountains and old enough for me to be able to repair en-route myself by mechanical means (excluding replacing an engine on the roadside...).

Have people had good experiences with recon engines?

Has anyone put a new engine in?

Is it a good opportunity to put a different engine in? (I'm not someone who expects to drag race a t4 cali)

Can anyone warn me of the impending mistakes I might be close to making?

All advice would be very welcome,

Many thanks,

John.

190FE481-42FD-4350-8BD4-633831461379.jpeg

From what you say, the only decision you need to make is the £3000 difference between a recon & new engine.

I am one of those who has had a new engine in my 2010 T5.1 180BHP

There are some knowledge T4 guys here, but the big T4 forum (all vans not just campers) will access more folk who have had this dilemma.

Given that the rest of the van is in good (even great) condition, then it goes without saying that you spend whatever you can to resurrect it rather than start looking for a new van...
Also its fair to say that the engines from the T4 range have a good reputation of being great survivors and workhorses - present example excluded... :rolleyes: So the chances of getting a good second hand engine should be high.
I would say that each choice (scrap refit, reconditioned or new) comes with pro's and cons. You could argue that a good scrap engine could see the van fine till the end of its life without issue, that's a gamble worth a punt, you could also say that for £500 you could likely take that gamble twice at least before reaching the next cost level and many times before the cost of a new engine...
I'm no expert, but I expect the reconditioned will come with some sort of guarantee, though in practice, how much that guarantee is worth is very much dependent on the garage you choose.
I would agree with the previous comment though, try posting your question on the VW T4 Forum (http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk), as there your audience will be far larger and experiences of such a job will be much higher - here the focus is more on the camping interiors (not to say we won't have had our share of mechanical problems!).

Good luck and keep us posted on the fate of your van :thumb

looks like JustKampers may be worth a try. £2,000 plus extra £480 as your engine is scrap. £49 delivery. You need to install yourself or pay a local garage.

Another alternative is to replace only the block if your cylinder head is in A1 condition. Personally would prefer full engine recon, but you could have your cylinder given a recon before fitting.
Anyhow this is a source with alternatives.

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

Sorry to hear your problem with the engine.

It happened to us as well - but with a Toyota Aygo. At the end we decided to get a used engine with similar mileage (well, that we've been told at least). So far it worked out well.

What we also did was to ask the repair centre to check other items (clutch, transmission etc.). While the work of exchanging the engine was done half of the vehicle was accessible. We thought it would be cheaper to get things changed now, then in 9 month.

I am not a mechanic, but maybe you wish to consider that the garage will check other components as well.

Regards,
Eberhard

Nothing wrong with a reputable recon engine, it should come with warranty as opposed with a scrappie...

I wouldn't transplant a different (type) engine as it's a minefield of wiring, exhaust & ancillary equipment to ensure a 'good fit', plus any future problems will be harder to fathom out if it goes to VW or a new owner...

I would opt for a recon. I would also check that the turbo that comes with it has been looked at as well or renewed. Peice of mind for another 100k miles :thumb

Hello,
We recently arrived back in the uk having left our 1995 Westfalia in Croatia in the capable and helpful hands of a local garage. We have a hole in our engine and I am told it is not so good for successful driving. please see attached pic. Anyway, clearly we need a new engine for our wagon of dreams and have basically three options it seems; And old engine from a scrap yard (£500ish +labour), a reconditioned engine (£2000ish + labour) or a new engine (£5000ish + labour).

Our van is 1995 which is 24 years old the engine is a 1.9TD (ABL) Not the fastest on the road but was fine for us, economical and frankly fast enough for something packed with loads of gear, family inside and bikes strapped to it. Some would say that basic economics would suggest an old engine is best as she is an old van, but the thing is apart from her engine and likely other mechanical parts she's mint, as though straight out of the factory, not a flake of rust, original paint, excellent factory fitted Westfalia interior.... She has done around 90,000miles in her time and I suspect has been stored well and unused for periods (she's left hand drive).

My query is for advice, its obvious that the more you spend the better the result, money can always be found but we don't have an abundance of it and need to be as careful as possible. We hope to keep our van for a long time as she is perfect for us being small enough to get into the mountains and old enough for me to be able to repair en-route myself by mechanical means (excluding replacing an engine on the roadside...).

Have people had good experiences with recon engines?

Has anyone put a new engine in?

Is it a good opportunity to put a different engine in? (I'm not someone who expects to drag race a t4 cali)

Can anyone warn me of the impending mistakes I might be close to making?

All advice would be very welcome,

Many thanks,

John.

View attachment 49814
Hi john
Try calling calicampers
There somewhere down south he has absolutely everything for t4s I’m sure he will be able to help you
Good luck buddy

I would also check that the turbo that comes with it has been looked at as well or renewed. Peice of mind for another 100k miles :thumb
John, as Volkywagen says here, piece of mind - just be aware that some recon engines are classed as 'short', which may suit you, as it is only a 'new' cylinder block (everything below the cylinder head) which your maybe still good condition head / turbo could be transplanted on, saving quite a bit of cash...
Check what is included with a recon before committing, turbo may not be...

John, as Volkywagen says here, piece of mind - just be aware that some recon engines are classed as 'short', which may suit you, as it is only a 'new' cylinder block (everything below the cylinder head) which your maybe still good condition head / turbo could be transplanted on, saving quite a bit of cash...
Check what is included with a recon before committing, turbo may not be...
Normally nothing is included, its only the block.
Whilst its being done i would put a new clutch in also.

From what you say, the only decision you need to make is the £3000 difference between a recon & new engine.

Hi

H Bernd,
i looked your replay regarding had new engine in 2010 T5.1 180BHP ? can you please let me what was the original problem in old engine? way you need to change? i am asking as i have same cali 2011 T5.1 180BHP and Vw advice me to change its need to change the engine. how much you paid for that? thanks

Hi

H Bernd,
i looked your replay regarding had new engine in 2010 T5.1 180BHP ? can you please let me what was the original problem in old engine? way you need to change? i am asking as i have same cali 2011 T5.1 180BHP and Vw advice me to change its need to change the engine. how much you paid for that? thanks
Why have VW advised you the engine needs replacing? Is it using a lot of oil?

Yes consuming lots of engine oil, and milage goes down as well. i am getting 15-20mpg
See Post 444 VW TPI for 2010-2012 180 engines.

Hi

H Bernd,
There is a lot of pricing info in the Facebook group for cfca engines. Hopefully you are near retro reus in the south West who seem to be the goto place.

As I understand the question, the van is to be fixed in Croatia.

I usually would spend more on our T5 but I am curious about the difference between £500 engine from scrap yard and £2000 reconditioned. That seems like a large difference.

If the £500 engine is from a non camper T4 it could be a good engine from a worthless van. If you can drive it home for £500 that leaves you with a lot of money leftover for future repairs.

Yes consuming lots of engine oil, and milage goes down as well. i am getting 15-20mpg

Yep, mine was using lots of Oil. Replacement early 2016 on 2010 Cali. I paid 30% of costs and VW the other 70%. Total about £7500.

Yep, mine was using lots of Oil. Replacement early 2016 on 2010 Cali. I paid 30% of costs and VW the other 70%. Total about £7500.
Thanks for reply everyone really appreciated. Bernd please let me know as you said you paid 30% is your cali was out of warranty right? thanks

Thanks for reply everyone really appreciated. Bernd please let me know as you said you paid 30% is your cali was out of warranty right? thanks
Well out of warranty.
Check your engine number on the VW TPI link I posted. If it is on that list VW should make a contribution, but it won't be a 100% by any means.

Well out of warranty.
Check your engine number on the VW TPI link I posted. If it is on that list VW should make a contribution, but it won't be a 100% by any means.
1995, I suspect we all know the answer !

Back