Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine replacement.....

My 2010 180ps SE Cali also had the same high consumption issue at the same time as BerndRos's did.

I approached VWUK for a replacement engine around the same time and they refused, even though Breeze in Poole supported me. In the end, I had to pay for a new engine myself.

The only issue I could see that was different was that the previous owner had one service done by a non-VWUK franchised garage.

So if you plan to approach VWUK do check your service book first.

Alan

My 2010 180ps SE Cali also had the same high consumption issue at the same time as BerndRos's did.

I approached VWUK for a replacement engine around the same time and they refused, even though Breeze in Poole supported me. In the end, I had to pay for a new engine myself.

The only issue I could see that was different was that the previous owner had one service done by a non-VWUK franchised garage.

So if you plan to approach VWUK do check your service book first.

Alan
That is the typical VW get out clause but I doubt it made any difference. I imagine the cost had an awful lot to do with it. How old was the vehicle when the problem occurred? I take it that it was well out of the warranty period.

Thanks for reply everyone really appreciated. Bernd please let me know as you said you paid 30% is your cali was out of warranty right? thanks

Yes, was out of warranty by 3 years.

That is the typical VW get out clause but I doubt it made any difference. I imagine the cost had an awful lot to do with it. How old was the vehicle when the problem occurred? I take it that it was well out of the warranty period.
Yes, my van was a 2010MY, registered in March 2010.

The oil issue started very suddenly on our way to the South of France in September 2015. I kept it topped up with oil and had the official oil consumption test done by Breeze in Poole in Feb 2016.
I struggled on for around another 9 months until the engine finally went into limp mode so had to replace it in Dec 2016.

Since then the new engine had not consumed any oil between services. I did change the service interval to annual/10k miles after that though.

Alan

Well out of warranty.
Check your engine number on the VW TPI link I posted. If it is on that list VW should make a contribution, but it won't be a 100% by any means.
Hello.
I'm trying to find the link you posted but with no luck.
I also have a 180 with these issues. Your knowledge has been very useful so far.
I agree with you, lovely engine to drive. Shame it has these issues.
If you can send me the link that would be much appreciated.

Hello.
I also have a 180 with these issues. Your knowledge has been very useful so far.
Go back to post number 15 in this thread

you will see the attached link - @WelshGas kindly posted the link and post number earlier In this tread to assist others.
Open that thread link and go to Post number 444, you will find the info you seek.

:welcome & good luck, (it’s customary to make your first post an introduction )

Go back to post number 15 in this thread

you will see the attached link - @WelshGas kindly posted the link and post number earlier In this tread to assist others.
Open that thread link and go to Post number 444, you will find the info you seek.

:welcome & good luck, (it’s customary to make your first post an introduction )

Thank you Perfectos
I'm new to all this. I'm Matt, I've owned a 2016 180 for 3 tears now. It's just done 90k and the issues have started.
It's with VW for a service today so I should know more later.
I will keep everyone updated with any useful info.

Thank you Perfectos
I'm new to all this. I'm Matt, I've owned a 2016 180 for 3 tears now. It's just done 90k and the issues have started.
Thanks Matt, good Luck, reporting back will help others :cheers

you’ll be a pro on the forum in no time, using the search function (top right )“spyglass” will help you refine your search particularly if you know who the original post was from

Hello.
HI i am having same issues currently need to replace Engine and EDF. please let me know where are you UP to? thanks

Thank you Perfectos
I fear the TPI will not be helpful as , I believe, it only relates to CFCA engines built 2010-2011/12.

I fear the TPI will not be helpful as , I believe, it only relates to CFCA engines built 2010-2011/12.
I suspect that I may have become victim to the notorious 180 oil consumption problem, as there has been a sudden quite dramatic increase. Sept 2013 year; mileage 67k. I'll be monitoring to see what happens, but currently not doing enough mileage to make a meaningful assessment.
The engine has a D EGR which was fitted a year before I purchased it.
Just going through this thread, I am trying to decide if my vehicle was included in the original TPI, which states: Short engine up to CFCA 123576
Base engine from CFCA123577, Vin WV2ZZZ7HZFH011833
My cali details: Engine number CFCA105112, Vin WV2ZZZ7HZEH017552
How do VW number their vehicles? It appears that both the engine and chassis numbers on my Cali are earlier than the TPI.
Incidentally, I'm not fazed by this, if a new engine is needed, it's less for the taxman and there are plenty of precedents on here to advise me!

Back