Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eskdale Campsite Lake District

S

SallyW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
3EB6C7CC-73CE-4480-965D-8A99E5319B38.jpeg 5E657482-DD1A-4B23-BE1A-D298F76C193F.jpeg Just spent a few nights at Eskdale Campsite in Boot in the Western part of the Lakes. This is a great winter campsite; good hot showers - very welcome after a days walking, hardstanding (in the car park but it works well) and friendly, helpful owners. The site and facilities are immaculate. There is electric hook up if required, a drying room and lots of excellent walks from the site both short or challenging including Scafell, Great Gable and Pillar. And three pubs in walking distance.
The photos are of Blea Tarn, a 3 hour circular walk from the site and of the train that runs from the village to Ravenglass on the coast.

Thanks for sharing! Great to see other using their van in winter too.

Totally agree. It's the perfect site for an active Cali Owner (with pubs for refreshments and food if required). We held an informal Cali meet there a few years ago.

Blea Tarn looks a right trek from the site Sally. I normally do a circular walk to Burnmoor tarn from the site. Am I super slow compared to your pace?

Blea Tarn looks a right trek from the site Sally. I normally do a circular walk to Burnmoor tarn from the site. Am I super slow compared to your pace?
I believe there are two Blea Tarns in the Lake District. This one is just above Boot village and is gorgeous!

Ah yes, found yours! Nice (if modest) stone circles close by too.

Agree beautiful place, excellent facilities and don’t forget they have a Vw event on as well around Easter usually

Beautiful.

God's country.

Much of my young adult years were spent somewhere between Langdale and Eskdale.

Lovely photographs.

Stunning setting and as more remote than eastern lakes it has a very different feel about it. We always drive to it over Birker Fell from Duddon Bridge, which must be one of the most stunning roads in England. Martin the owner is great !

Lovely shot. Here's my reflection of cat bells at Derwent water last week. I've ridden that railway to Ravenglass. I remember a pub there called the ratty Arms. Enjoy. I'm slightly jealous but flying to Finland today to go snow boarding. Gutted I can't take the van.

IMG_20190106_131737.jpg

Was reading a review of this place last night - definitely on the list now - thanks for the pics!

View attachment 40535 View attachment 40536 Just spent a few nights at Eskdale Campsite in Boot in the Western part of the Lakes. This is a great winter campsite; good hot showers - very welcome after a days walking, hardstanding (in the car park but it works well) and friendly, helpful owners. The site and facilities are immaculate. There is electric hook up if required, a drying room and lots of excellent walks from the site both short or challenging including Scafell, Great Gable and Pillar. And three pubs in walking distance.
The photos are of Blea Tarn, a 3 hour circular walk from the site and of the train that runs from the village to Ravenglass on the coast.
We stayed there between Christmas and New Year in the deep freeze winter of 2009/10 -20 degrees most of the time! Toasty in our Cali though, electric blanket and oil heater on hookup
Scafell was closed because of the low temperatures, only three other units on the site so very quite and beautiful. Would highly recommend this site, but pick your dates carefully as it does get busy. Brilliant local pubs!

This looks like a cracking location for a 2019 Cali meet for northern folk (or anybody that wants to come!)
Are there any decent pubs/eateries in the nearby vicinity?
Walking and cycling will be a no brainer.....

Our most favourite site! Looking to go back again this Easter. Booked very late last year but Martyn (Ex RN) squeezed us on to a pitch. It does get busy at Easter.

3 decent pubs in walking distance. Cycling is tough.

View attachment 40535 View attachment 40536 Just spent a few nights at Eskdale Campsite in Boot in the Western part of the Lakes. This is a great winter campsite; good hot showers - very welcome after a days walking, hardstanding (in the car park but it works well) and friendly, helpful owners. The site and facilities are immaculate. There is electric hook up if required, a drying room and lots of excellent walks from the site both short or challenging including Scafell, Great Gable and Pillar. And three pubs in walking distance.
Always a fav of mine. Martin and Sarah very helpful - if you go when it's not wet you can camp on the grass. And you can use la'al ratty to travel down the valley. I often use it for shirt breaks as I'm not far away.

Isn't there a vs bus fest there in march

This looks like a cracking location for a 2019 Cali meet for northern folk (or anybody that wants to come!)
Are there any decent pubs/eateries in the nearby vicinity?
Walking and cycling will be a no brainer.....
It’s a great location , l’lratty is brilliant day trip. We went a couple o& years ago for Vw meet..
brilliant weekend , met loads. Pub and hotel in the valley , pub up the fell side .. the landlord gad laid on a truck to take you up the hill

They took it in turns to put a band on as well.

And you can get the best bacon in the world at nearby Wabberthwaite post office/shop/butchers. Richard Woodalls. Best bacon in the world and a lovely unspoilt old fashioned shop. Google will get you there - I'd phone first to check opening hours.

We live in Kendal and visit this campsite at least twice a year - unfortunately we don't always make it to Wabberthwaite.

I know them well from my roadie days and Mr Fred Whitton.

We stayed there 3 nights for new year, different pub each night and all 3 are excellent!
Service from the site owners is top notch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received two emails at the beginning of March. One from Martyn and Sara and the other a few days later from the National Trust.

Had many conversations with Martyn when at Eskdale about them selling the campsite. (They use to own Ravensglass and sold this to C&CC a few years back)

Sad to see them go and hope it can be run to the same high standard. Slightly concerned that the flexibility that previously existed will not be so forthcoming with the NT.

Back