Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Club Meet Eskdale Meet April 2016

Can't seem to pm you , our booking is under Gittins and we would love to attend meal, are dogs allowed in the pub ??
Thanks Tracy. "Got you". From memory, yes; I think a dog is compulsory in this neck of the woods.

Tracy - dogs are no problem in any of the three pubs - we've been in all three with Grainne, our Irish Terrier.

See you there!

Ian

Sadly my young Boxer dog is as mad as a box of frogs so for the sake of sanity I think we will have to give the evening meal a miss.

Toying with idea of taking an MTB.

We will now be up there late Wednesday afternoon.

Hi, whilst away this week I have received an email regarding the Eskdale event. It says that as I had RSVP'd for the event then could I reply regarding details, etc....
However, I am not aware I have replied on the forum or the events notice board for this event (my avatar does not appear on the main link, but to be sure I have scrolled through). So am curious as to how this has happened...

You are showing as 'interested' on the event thread Alison. No problem if you didn't decide to book. We are just trying to match the forum's rsvps with the bookings made at the campsite. PM me if any concerns.

Last call out to those attending the Eskdale meet to get in touch with me (if they haven't been already).

We are trying to tie-up forum user names with the names booked with the site, so we can be grouped together. Also to see who wants to attend an pub dinner on the Sat evening.

I've spoken to most who have RSVP'd to the event but am awaiting on 4 or 5 who so far haven't responded to repeated requests to get in touch.
Click on my photo and use the 'start a conversation' function, or if stuck, reply here.

Cheers

Last call out to those attending the Eskdale meet to get in touch with me (if they haven't been already).

We are trying to tie-up forum user names with the names booked with the site, so we can be grouped together. Also to see who wants to attend an pub dinner on the Sat evening.

I've spoken to most who have RSVP'd to the event but am awaiting on 4 or 5 who so far haven't responded to repeated requests to get in touch.
Click on my photo and use the 'start a conversation' function, or if stuck, reply here.

Cheers
Hi,From cali2014 booked for the weekend and can you book Sheila and me Alan in for the pud.Thanks Alan

Who's getting ready for eskdale? We are loading up so we can get off after work Friday dinner.

Who's getting ready for eskdale? We are loading up so we can get off after work Friday dinner.
Yes, we're thinking about it now! Wondering whether to take the bikes, but there could be some steep sections around there :Nailbiting

Who's getting ready for eskdale?
Van washed and polished. Hope it's not filthy by the time I get up there. If the weather looks OK I'll set off a day or two early and maybe stay later.
@motacyclist : Thanks for your Q re the bikes. It's a tricky one. The site itself is in a very flat area, but that area is not very large. You can cycle down to Ravenglass and even out to the coast without hitting major hills, but the lanes are a bit narrow and your safety depends on how folk are driving.
I tend to walk when I'm there. Either down to Ravenglass (little train back), or up into the hills from the site. 3 local pubs too. If you are happy moving the van, then you should drive down to Ravenglass. The fish restaurant there is fab, and the sunsets are perfect. You can drive to Seascale and walk along the beach. I like the coastal walk from Whitehaven (worth a visit, and has supermarket), down to St Bees. Pretty steady walk, and get the mainline train back to Whitehaven.
I think quite a few of our group have visited before, so I'd be interested to hear their views.

Side bars on and Cascaval spare wheel replaced with a cheap steel version. (Was wondering about those who have lowered their Cali by 40mm. Probably best to jack the rear up first in order to remove the spare - PITA).

Great walking from the campsite. Up and around or along the river (either direction). Nice walk up over Muncaster fell and down to Ravenglass. Ratty (train) for the return journey. We will probably go with a 5 day rover pass for Ratty as you can use it over the season on the days required and hop on and off the train at will. The Roman fort on the foot of Hardknott is worth a visit.

Still in two minds about the MTB bike. You can ride down and back to Ravenglass using the brideway / logging trail or loop up over Birker Fell, Hardknott and back:eek:.

We typically loop around from the motorway on the A590 and come to the campsite via Birker Fell. The first bit is a little tight.

Last edited:
We are ready and a raring to go, we will be setting off a few days early calling at edale first then joining you all on the Friday at Eskdale, it will be out first California meet so looking forward to meeting you all !

For those of you who said they'd like to sit down to an early 'group' dinner on the Saturday, I've booked tables next to the fire at the Boot Inn (here) for 6.30pm. This pub (like I suspect the other 2 also) are putting music on later in the evening, so we should be able to enjoy dinner, then retire, stay for the Boot's music, or walk to the other pubs - whatever suits.

If you'd like to add (or remove) your name to the dinner list, just drop me a pm and I'll adjust numbers.

Great... Sounds good. Even the weather is looking promising!

Great walking from the campsite. Up and around or along the river (either direction). Nice walk up over Muncaster fell and down to Ravenglass. Ratty (train) for the return journey. We will probably go with a 5 day rover pass for Ratty as you can use it over the season on the days required and hop on and off the train at will. The Roman fort on the foot of Hardknott is worth a visit.

Still in two minds about the MTB bike. You can ride down and back to Ravenglass using the brideway / logging trail or loop up over Birker Fell, Hardknott and back:eek:.
Thanks for the tip on the railway, I think we will book a one day hop on - hop off ticket + £12.70 each return, the web page is here but for some reason nothing happens when the "book online" button is pressed - I'll try with a different browser later. In view of this, I think we will skip taking the bikes as there won't be much chance to use them.

Thanks for the tip on the railway, I think we will book a one day hop on - hop off ticket + £12.70 each return, the web page is here but for some reason nothing happens when the "book online" button is pressed - I'll try with a different browser later. In view of this, I think we will skip taking the bikes as there won't be much chance to use them.
I think there are deals available from the site for the railway. Certainly worth a quick call to Martyn. The railway always seems a touch expensive to me but must cost a fortune to run!

I think there are deals available from the site for the railway. Certainly worth a quick call to Martyn. The railway always seems a touch expensive to me but must cost a fortune to run!
Yes I was thinking there are usually vouchers in those leaflets you get at the information points on the sites. I just did a quick Google for offers and discovered you can use Tesco Clubcard vouchers (see here) although as they send them by post it's probably a bit late now :(.

We are booked to go to this meet but I have a knee injury and we now can't make it.
So there is now a space for a Cali to go if anyone wants it.
If you fancy it please pm me and I will then speak to the campsite and inform them of the name change for the booking. First come first served I'm afraid.

"I think there are deals available from the site for the railway. Certainly worth a quick call to Martyn."

Yes, I was looking at the campsite's Twitter/FB pages and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a £5 voucher towards the railway will be included in the welcome packs for this weekend.

Looking forward to the weekend - I'll be down after work on Friday. Planning to do some walking around the fells/mountains in among catching up with folks and their vans.

Van all cleaned ready load up Thursday after work then straight off fri dinner.

For those of you who said they'd like to sit down to an early 'group' dinner on the Saturday, I've booked tables next to the fire at the Boot Inn (here) for 6.30pm. This pub (like I suspect the other 2 also) are putting music on later in the evening, so we should be able to enjoy dinner, then retire, stay for the Boot's music, or walk to the other pubs - whatever suits.

If you'd like to add (or remove) your name to the dinner list, just drop me a pm and I'll adjust numbers.

Two places for alan and Sheila,Thanks T4WFA from cali2014

Two places for alan and Sheila,Thanks T4WFA from cali2014
I had a note you were just doing pudding (from previous post), but no problem at all! I've updated the list.

Last edited:
Really surprised no one wants this.
Unless I hear this evening then I will cancel the booking with the campsite to give them a chance to use the pitch.