Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Club Meet Eskdale Meet April 2016

Hello, we've been staying at this site for three days earlier this week, lovely site in a great location with good pubs and food in walking distance but the site is very waterlogged so I would recommend waterproofs and wellies. We also found putting one of the perforated groundsheets down outside the van essential in order to keep the van relatively clean inside.

There also appears to be little or no phone reception on the site but you can go to the railway only a few minutes walk away and they have free wifi in the cafe, nice to sit there even if you don't fancy a ride on the train.

The onsite facilities are very good and immaculately clean when we were there with a good hairdryer that's free to use and a well stocked shop.

Seaview - thanks so much for that!
Sounds like when we met you and your wife there that time Ian and we had to pitch up in the car park!
Hope it dries out for everyone.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Drying out nicely in the front field. No rain yesterday.

Indeed so Freeley! Sounds like it's improving now though - and the forecast is good. Fingers crossed!

Sounds like you're not coming? Shame not have another rendezvous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All packed now......... I think??..........., I'm sure to have forgotten something?? Setting off soon.:bananadance

Great to see the weather forecast improving this week. Packing nearly done, pets to drop off, kids to pick up and then we are on our way. Looking forward to the first camp of the year

Indeed so Freeley! Sounds like it's improving now though - and the forecast is good. Fingers crossed!

Sounds like you're not coming? Shame not have another rendezvous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No it's way too far for us for a weekend.
And the wife isn't into the whole "meet" thing unfortunately.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

And the wife isn't into the whole "meet" thing unfortunately.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

My wife was exactly the same Freeley but I managed to get her a long to COTF last year and she ended up loving it, you make some good friends at the meets.

Anyway, it is currently raining here and getting a bit soggy, anyone who has not left yet wellies are a MUST

We are currently on the M6 services having lunch, how muddy is it please as we don't have wellies with us but if bad enough we will stop off and buy some? I see more rain forecast for tonight?

Quechua base seconds shelter for sale in the "for sale" section. We live in the South Lakes, may be able to organise to drop it off if anyone at the Eskdale meet is interested.

15 or so vans so far. If you've not said hello yet, do call at the big blue smurf if there are signs of life.
I'm currently in the Brook House pub if needed.

Last edited:
Looking good no rain since we arrived. Met a few forum members but quite a cool breeze discouraging standing nattering outside. Looking forward to meeting the whole crew tomorrow.
:)

wishing we were away this weekend rather than the Cali being sat on the drive whilst I stress about work. Hope you all have a great weekend in Eskdale.

Good to meet a few of you yesterday, sorry we could not stay, I bet you all made good use of the parking heaters last night? Look forward to seeing those of you that are going to the June meet.

We've been very lucky with the weather, and the lovely crowd of Cali owners, 22 of whom came to a team dinner at the pub. The wifi is still struggling a little so will post some more photos later.
5 vans staying tonight if any other members are in the area.

20160416_185134.jpg

Driving down the M6 from Lancaster with some mates today, I was trying to describe the Cali Beach we have on order.
"What are they like " one asked, then suddenly I spotted four our five Cali's in just a few miles!
Hope you had a great time in the lakes.

Thanks to T4WFA for organising a successful meet and it was good to put a few more faces to names. As well as our 20 or so vans there were probably another 40-50 VWs of all ages, shapes and sizes taking part in the Eskdale Dubfest.

It was lovely and sunny, if a bit chilly - and even still a dusting of snow on top of Skiddaw at lunchtime today.

I'll add a photo or two once I work out how to do it .....

Driving down the M6 from Lancaster with some mates today, I was trying to describe the Cali Beach we have on order.
"What are they like " one asked, then suddenly I spotted four our five Cali's in just a few miles!
Hope you had a great time in the lakes.
Some of us still are having a great time! (Slightly tanked up :confused:)

Was a last minute decision to join. 7 hrs travelling and sleet / snow until I hit the border. Then glorious sunshine and the A595 taking my past all my sponsored student summer haunts, including the latest view of the 'piles' at Windscale. Many memories of cycling from St Bees to Wasdale at the weekends as I drove part of the same route on my way to Eskdale.
Help from T4WFA getting the 'kit' assembled and introducrions to people. Great walk with Dottie on Saturday, followed by the pub meal. Sunday many packed up to leave whilst Dottie, T4WFA and 'us' went for a good walk in uneexpectedly good weather followed by yet another good pub meal and excellent company.
Might just need to stay another night - dictated by the low stocks on dog food more than anything else.
Great location, great company, thanks T4WFA!

It was a fantastic site and, as you can see, lots of sunshine:

DSC_0027 (1).JPG

The site's nestled in the valley ... 3 pubs within walking distance !

DSC_0037 (1).JPG
Another view of the site

DSC_0059 (1).JPG

DSC_0017 (1).JPG

Lambing time ...

DSC_0049 (1).JPG