Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential Provisions.

Gregc

Gregc

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
What do you all think are the essential food and drink items to have stashed away in the van at all times. Tea bags and fresh coffee beans have got to be top on my list, but I was wondering what those more seasoned Cali users have in their cupboards.

Re: Essential Provisions.

Peppercorns & Seasalt in Grinders.....Best Modena Balsamic & Olive Oil......

Pasta, Tin of Tomatoes and pot of herbs de provence - they all last for ages so we just leave them in the van for emergency nosh.

Works better if you can find chicken or sausages, but even without they are a great easy cali friendly meal :)

T

Naan bread in original vacuum packaging as it has a good shelf life. Spices. M&S tinned foods - ham, chunky chicken, chicken. Baked walkers crisps. Smash.

Risotto, stock pots, wine and beer

Dried porcini mushrooms, tinned seafood, a few dried herbs and spices, olive oil, milk powder for coffee emergencies. Plus Leatherman, bottle opener and apart from in Winter, a full set of cutlery, utensils and plates.

porridge and granola. Served with a fruit yoghurt, heaven!

Stays always in the drawer under back seat : tins - hotdogs ,ravioli,soups ,cearial- musli,crackers,pasta +sauce. Also must haves are snacks/ candy bars ( mars,snickers,...) in fridge some cans of soda (cola,fanta,...)
Of course thee,sugar,instant koffie,...
When leaving home we just skip the things that are opend from kitchen- to califridge...thake the fruit out of the bowl and usually some leftovers from the kitchenfreezer to have a first meal at arrivial ready....plus it keeps the califridge themp. Low... :mrgreen:

See some people taking bottles of wine from home... :? , places we usually go they sell wine at better price so carry that stuff 1000km? ..... :headbang

For emergencies One of those French meals in a tin... cassoulet, or maybe duck plus a tin of vegetables. Also jars of marmalade although this is not so critical now because you can get marmalade at Lidl's on the continent.
And mrs davidofhook makes a chicken stew that is frozen and then put into the frig to provide sustenance on the journey and to keep the frig cold for as long as possible

I must admit that when Albert first rolled his wheels he looked more like a famine relief truck than a camper.

since then I've slowly reduced the amount I carry to enough to give me a meal, or two, tea, coffee, milk, a few tins.

I got fed up of walking past mouth-watering deli's, stopping in large supermarkets, finding little artisan shops and thinking "that looks absolutely delicious but if I had that then I would need to throw something away".

Pasta, good salt and pepper, chilli powder, wine, beer, snacks (for the kids and for the adults), chewing gum, wine, beer, ketchup.

Absolute essential........marmite. Tin of baked beans........just add bread :thumb

Having spent Easter Sunday driving from Dunedin to Waipara in NZ and not being able to buy beer or wine without consuming a meal at the same time I know what needs to be done when the Cali arrives this week:D Yahoo :upsidedown :upsidedown

Andy

Marmite, jam, salt & pepper grinders, tin tomatoes, pasta, rice, stock cubes, baked beans, kidney beans & sweets!

hotel california T5 said:
Stays always in the drawer under back seat : tins - hotdogs ,ravioli,soups ,cearial- musli,crackers,pasta +sauce. Also must haves are snacks/ candy bars ( mars,snickers,...) in fridge some cans of soda (cola,fanta,...)
When leaving home we just skip the things that are opend from kitchen- to califridge...thake the fruit out of the bowl and usually some leftovers from the kitchenfreezer to have a first meal at arrivial ready....plus it keeps the califridge themp. Low... :mrgreen:

See some people taking bottles of wine from home... :? , places we usually go they sell wine at better price so carry that stuff 1000km? ..... :headbang

What is this, a Belgian not stocking up on Chimay and westmalle tripel?

We stock noodles, dried spice pots, cereals and a few tins of soup. Rest is just stuff from the fridge at home.

mooro said:
hotel california T5 said:

What is this, a Belgian not stocking up on Chimay and westmalle tripel?

We stock noodles, dried spice pots, cereals and a few tins of soup. Rest is just stuff from the fridge at home.

+ mooro , i don't drink beer , never ! Just don't like the tase ...wine,bubbels(cava or champagne),coktails however .... :mrgreen: does stands on my list of favorits
Hard to believe? I'm a belgian but ...cheers....no beers.

Mods - we have a fake on the forum...

:D

I get mocked by friends each year for holidaying in Belgium to watch the classic road bike races in the spring, really nice place.

Cali_Freaks said:
Real ale and peanuts.

Nice to know some members have true class

Just stocked up on a bottle of very nice Rum (replaced the last bottle of very nice whisky).
Pot Noodles and Cuppa soup.

(just reminded by mrs p that these are only when I go alone on a canoe trip!)

Her requirements are Tea, proper milk and something with some fizz, and enough every day food to feed 3 small hungry mouths....

Back