Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential things to buy now the van is ordered?

We’ve now ordered the Cali, so what else is there to do whilst waiting than to think about spending more money! :oops:

What are essential purchases, although some non essential ones would be interesting to consider?

So far I’m thinking....Essential - gas bottle, rear boot lip protector (we have dogs), seat covers (we have dogs!), porta potti, Ghost immobiliser.

Non-essential - this could be a big list, but as a start, and these may be essential - carpet, cover for pop top canvas, windscreen cover.

I bet there’s loads I haven’t thought of...
How about a lottery ticket!

Essential:
- Brandrup Isotop if you intend to sleep in the roof under 10 degrees
- Levelling ramps
- Rear seat cover (Brandrup are expensive and not easy to remove for washing, I made one myself)
- Small brush for floor cleaning
- Anti-noise carpet for drawer (I made one myself with rubber carpet)
- Brandrup coat hooks (I bought 2 sets and made 2 removable towel lines myself)
- Rubber mat for boot (made myself)

Nice to have:
- Porta potti 335
- Brandrup utility bag for front seat (right=passenger in my Cali)
- Hook up cable (I don't use it that much, having up to 3 days autonomy with leisure battery)
- Brandrup Airsafe
- Ventilation grille (Vanessacamp)
- Anti-theft bolt for spare wheel
- Brandrup Isolite Outdoor Extreme (just purchased it but not yet used)
- Brandrup fitted sheets (for down and roof mats)
- Refrigerator anti-frost protection bottom
- Thule roof bars
- USB charger for electric toothbrush

Still in my wish list but for next summer:
- Mosquito net (we had many flies inside the Cali this summer)

I fully agree with the idea of beginning with essential to keep things simple but it is sometimes so tempting !

I tried to avoid buying not so useful (in my opinion) things such as:
- Roof cover
- Expensive seat covers
- Expensive anti-noise carpets
- Useless carpets
- Expensive antislip carpets
- Shower / toilet tent

Essential -
Hook up cable.
Wine.

Non essential -
Sparesafe.
Rear slide out shelf and Eurocrates.
Bellows Bungee.
Extra kitchen drawers.
Dunelm Ottoman (to cover the portapotti. Doubles as a seat)
why sparesafe may I ask, wouldnt it be simpler to order a Cali with the safe box option?

Where do most of you buy your accessories please? I’m particularly interested in a hookup cable.

Also, I guess it serves two purposes (1) recharge leisure battery and (2) ability to use mains inside vehicle.

does the hookup cable trickle charge the battery and if not does it continuously charge and potentially damage battery By prolonged charging?

And finally, negating a hookup cable for mains use inside the vehicle would anyone know if roof solar panels would be sufficient to trickle charge the battery even in Winter?

sorry for going off topic and thanks in advance but it sounds like ill buy a hookup anyhow but want to avoid ‘hooking it up’ unnecessarily if it’s parked on the drive way for long periods of time to the detriment of draining the leisure battery

why sparesafe may I ask, wouldnt it be simpler to order a Cali with the safe box option?
Sparesafe is a security device to protect the spare wheel. There have been lots of thefts apparently.

Our bigger purchases that’d recommend...

Brandrup AirSafe for the rear door was a ventilation revelation for both downstairs and up in warmer climates. Used in combination with a FlyOut mosquito net on the rear door. The latter being the expensive item.

Sea to Summit self inflating mattress for the downstairs bed turns the flat seat into a proper bed.

Comfortz Leisure awning. No poles. Great space saver awning.

Brandrup Isotop. Better roof insulation and darker for sleeping.

Solar panel for roof. We don’t use EHU anymore (but then we don’t use plug in electric appliances). Free energy top up for small devices and the fridge and lights.

Our bigger purchases that’d recommend...

Brandrup AirSafe for the rear door was a ventilation revelation for both downstairs and up in warmer climates. Used in combination with a FlyOut mosquito net on the rear door. The latter being the expensive item.

Sea to Summit self inflating mattress for the downstairs bed turns the flat seat into a proper bed.

Comfortz Leisure awning. No poles. Great space saver awning.

Brandrup Isotop. Better roof insulation and darker for sleeping.

Solar panel for roof. We don’t use EHU anymore (but then we don’t use plug in electric appliances). Free energy top up for small devices and the fridge and lights.
Just a quick note about the Brandrup AirSafe, I've had two (lost one) and neither were Brandrup – what I'm trying to say is, non brand ones are a lot cheaper (half the price) and have been perfectly good quality. (See eBay for details – my favourite site over the years for camping and van kit.)

Other stores I've used for various van stuff include Van-X, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Comfortz Leisure (they supplied our £181 – now £220 – mattress topper when we just had a Caravelle setup; but it's so good we've ended up using it in the new California Beach on top of the 'downstairs' hard mattress), and of course the Cali Club shop.

In 2020 and because we have a toddler this year's Best Accessory Purchase Award goes to the Porta-Potti 335, which has been a bit of a game changer, to be honest. This was one accessory we put off buying for a loooong time for obvious reasons, but it's a brilliant product. (We bought this from one of the hundreds of online general camping stores. Shop around; get the best price.) Like a lot of products listed, it's hard to second guess whether you'll need something till you're out and about with the van – one person's "essential" is another's "superfluous". I was excited about having an 'upstairs' with the new van and even once considered getting a little ladder – then sobered up.

The mattress example above is yet another case of accessories without the fancy tag sometimes being as good if not better than either the excellent but pricy aftermarket brands, and VW's own stuff. Perhaps worth remembering?

If the guy who started this thread is reading this then enjoy your van. Exciting times!

Last edited by a moderator:
*Goes off to investigate...*
Specifically designed to fit the Ocean.

Specifically designed to fit the Ocean.

We never use the bag it came in. We just roll it up to deflate it (there is an interesting kneeling technique as you do this) and it sits on the back shelf. This also means it inflates quicker as it isn’t packed completely tight. Still plenty of room on the back shelf for other gear.

This is a great starting point thanks.
I think the first thing Im going to buy are the rubber mats for the driver & passenger floors - just dont get the colour of the carpet!
Love the idea of all the collapsing items in the forum shop esp kettle.
Seat covers a must but undecided which ones as their so expensive.
Ridge Monkey sandwich toaster.
Porta potti.
mattress covers.
I might look at the Duvalay sleeping bags at some point.
Eurocrates look good.
Trying to keep mine as simple & clutter free as I can - leaving all animals & grown up children at home & husband is under strict instruction that he will only be allowed one small rucksack! Not his normal kitchen sink packing!!

This is a great starting point thanks.
I think the first thing Im going to buy are the rubber mats for the driver & passenger floors - just dont get the colour of the carpet!
Love the idea of all the collapsing items in the forum shop esp kettle.
Seat covers a must but undecided which ones as their so expensive.
Ridge Monkey sandwich toaster.
Porta potti.
mattress covers.
I might look at the Duvalay sleeping bags at some point.
Eurocrates look good.
Trying to keep mine as simple & clutter free as I can - leaving all animals & grown up children at home & husband is under strict instruction that he will only be allowed one small rucksack! Not his normal kitchen sink packing!!
Instead of sleeping bags just take the Duvets from home, our Cali came new with rubber mats.

We’ve now ordered the Cali, so what else is there to do whilst waiting than to think about spending more money! :oops:

What are essential purchases, although some non essential ones would be interesting to consider?

So far I’m thinking....Essential - gas bottle, rear boot lip protector (we have dogs), seat covers (we have dogs!), porta potti, Ghost immobiliser.

Non-essential - this could be a big list, but as a start, and these may be essential - carpet, cover for pop top canvas, windscreen cover.

I bet there’s loads I haven’t thought of...
Lots of info here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/packing-for-different-scenarios.14193/

Instead of sleeping bags just take the Duvets from home, our Cali came new with rubber mats.
Yes duvets at first but did find the bedding issue bit annoying when we hired.
I will see if thats the case with the rubber mats I hope so.

I have not read through all your replies. So it may have already been said but I would consider the most essential purchase for your new van would be the VW extra 2-year extended warranty.

I have not read through all your replies. So it may have already been said but I would consider the most essential purchase for your new van would be the VW extra 2-year extended warranty.
Agree. Have you order it yet? They played games with me when i ordered after signing the purchase of the cali and they applied the new increased price to it...

/\ This. Especially given some of the electric door/roof related horror storieson here.

Back