Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential things to buy now the van is ordered?

Yes duvets at first but did find the bedding issue bit annoying when we hired.
I will see if thats the case with the rubber mats I hope so.
Duvets take up too much space. Good quality sleeping bags can be packed down and can be much warmer especially up top in the winter. They can also be opened up to use as a duvet.

ESSENTIAL THINGS TO BUY NOW THE VAN IS ORDERED?

A lock up to store all the stuff you've found you don't actually need.

Seriously, leaving driving to one side, there are three main things that you are going to want to do in your Cali, eat sleep and relax. All three can be accomplished easily using stuff that you already have at home. You will be warm and dry so take bedding, cooking, washing and eating kit. I'm sure you have all that at home. Keep it simple and go duvets until you have a better idea of what suits you best. So before buying new try it out with kit you already have first.

You will need an EHU cable and bungy cord for the roof canvas. The sparesafe may save you replacing the spare in due course and seat covers might save your seats under the circs. You'll also need gas, water, food, coats and hey presto.

You'll sort the rest out as you go.

However IMO the number one must have is the two year extended warranty.

Last edited:
Electric door, presume that is the sliding door does anyone order that?

Yes it is and I have but mainly down to some mobility issues. It has been known to give problems and seems to have its fair share of haters!

Yes it is and I have but mainly down to some mobility issues. It has been known to give problems and seems to have its fair share of haters!
I certainly don't hate them and now understand why it would be useful for anyone with a mobility issue. I saw on in operation on a demonstrator I went to see and what struck me was how long the door took to open.

Where would y'all see an immobiliser (Ghost type of thing) and dashcam on the scale of "essential" to "it can wait"? I don't think anyone's mentioned either in this thread. I had them on my "costly but important from day one" list.

My biggest fears are theft, damage, carjacking... basically the kind of things Nick Ross tells you not to have nightmares about.

Where would y'all see an immobiliser (Ghost type of thing) and dashcam on the scale of "essential" to "it can wait"? I don't think anyone's mentioned either in this thread. I had them on my "costly but important from day one" list.

My biggest fears are theft, damage, carjacking... basically the kind of things Nick Ross tells you not to have nightmares about.
I had a Ghost on my previous MoHo, primarily because it was a Ford chassis.

i will get one again purely because i have a fear of losing or getting my keys nicked. I have no doubt the standard immobiliser is adequate it’s useless if it is cloned or the keys acquired. I have also bought a private plate so I am not advertising a new van p,us it actually relates to the van type *T61 DUB :D

Oh good idea on the private plate, hadn't thought of that and the context of a new Ocean, £250 for something sensible is a drop in the... erm, ocean.

Also if we're going to have people losing their jobs and things soon it might be insensitive to drive round in something obviously new and expensive. (Do I dislike the fact that I just thought/wrote that? Maybe.)

Oh good idea on the private plate, hadn't thought of that and the context of a new Ocean, £250 for something sensible is a drop in the... erm, ocean.

Also if we're going to have people losing their jobs and things soon it might be insensitive to drive round in something obviously new and expensive. (Do I dislike the fact that I just thought/wrote that? Maybe.)
I would’not worry I was made redundant 2 weeks ago due to Covid, no chance of another job so it has forced me into early retirement. Could of done with a few more years but there are plenty of younger peeps more desperate than me. Plenty of time to tinker with the. An when it arrives.

Thanks for the further replies.
We went for the 2 year extended warranty when we ordered. £400. Decent value.

I have not read through all your replies. So it may have already been said but I would consider the most essential purchase for your new van would be the VW extra 2-year extended warranty.
What people don't appreciate perhaps is that you mustn't wait until your existing warranty is about to run out as you have quite a limited of time to purchase it in. The VW extended warranty must be purchased within three months of the vehicle's initial registration! What's more they tend not to inform you about it and even when purchasing you will probably have to chase them to confirm it / send you the evidence / receipt as many have got lost in the "system". The new system is reportedly better .

Whats your total warranty now then Phil?
5 years. As it’s our first ever campervan, we will keep it at least 5 years. Seems a reasonable amount of time to keep it, whether we love it or not. We may upgrade after then. So 5 years reasonably worry free, which is one of the reasons I’m not put off by the electric roof.

What people don't appreciate perhaps is that you mustn't wait until your existing warranty is about to run out as you have quite a limited of time to purchase it in. The VW extended warranty must be purchased within three months of the vehicle's initial registration! What's more they tend not to inform you about it and even when purchasing you will probably have to chase them to confirm it / send you the evidence / receipt as many have got lost in the "system". The new system is reportedly better .
I had to ask for it to be fair! Wasn’t offered. But £400 it’s a no brainer as far as I’m concerned. We plan to keep it 5 years, but even if we didn’t it makes it more desirable secondhand with a factory warranty.

5 years. As it’s our first ever campervan, we will keep it at least 5 years. Seems a reasonable amount of time to keep it, whether we love it or not. We may upgrade after then. So 5 years reasonably worry free, which is one of the reasons I’m not put off by the electric roof.
Mine will come with 4 years, i’ll chat with Guy when collect it. Just heard the EU talks This week have gone to rat sing, unless the EU u turn we will be going on to WTO, not good but it ain’t over yet.

Mine also comes with the free 4th year extended warranty. Anyone know if I can buy an 'extended extended' warranty to take it up to say, 6 years?

Mine also comes with the free 4th year extended warranty. Anyone know if I can buy an 'extended extended' warranty to take it up to say, 6 years?
I had the same 4 year warranty. Unfortunately if you wish to extend beyond 4 years you can only max out at 5 years in total, not 6. You can then only use the normal 2 year extension (£329+VAT) from the standard 3 years, so they are not providing a reduced cost option as you wish to just pay for 1 extra year. Madness.

However i still think £395 for one extra year is ok. Nothing is going to cost less than £400 to fix, especially at VW rates! Plus if you want/have to sell in 3, or 4, years time £395 is nowt on a £50k vehicle but will make it a far more attractive purchase to someone else.

Oh something I forgot to ask! about the warranty - will have to ask about that then

Hi Phil. I ordered my Cali from Guy a few days before you so I’ll be watching this thread with interest! I never knew I had so much time on my hands to research all things VW Cali related - I am beginning to think I’m obsessed! As much as I don’t want to be burdened with them I’ve also got a Safari Room and/or awning on the list as I have 3 dogs (2 big) and it will just give us a bit more room during the day if the weather’s bad.

Toying with an awning ourselves as we have a very stocky Labrador who likes some room. We were looking at the Vango Magra VW driveway awning. Have you looked at those by any chance?

Last edited:
Toying with an awning ourselves as we have a very stock Labrador who likes some room. We were looking at the Vango Magra VW driveway awning. Have you looked at those by any chance?
Considering that myself, no stock anywhere to go and view, but I like both ends open makes it more flexible no traipsing around the outside to get to the tailgate, the tunnel will accommodate our toilet :) :D

Considering that myself, no stock anywhere to go and view, but I like both ends open makes it more flexible no traipsing around the outside to get to the tailgate, the tunnel will accommodate our toilet :) :D

Exactly what we were thinking. Think that works perfectly for our situation. It's going to be a long wait till February! Have you tried Todd's motorhomes in Preston? They seem to have a great display of driveway awnings I believe.

Things I've bought while waiting:
Duvalay mattress and fitted sheets (for lower bed)
Silentnight mattress topper to go over the Duvalay
Smoke and CO detector
907 cylinder from Chorley
VW front window deflectors
Scotchgard for the seat fabric
Sparesafe wheel lock
Brandrup thetford portapotti kit
Fiamma level-ups and bag
Brompton electric bike

I think I've been quite restrained, really...

Exactly what we were thinking. Think that works perfectly for our situation. It's going to be a long wait till February! Have you tried Todd's motorhomes in Preston? They seem to have a great display of driveway awnings I believe.
Been a few times but not looked tbh, Winfields in Haslingdon has a massive range on show in season. Not got the van yet so not in a hurry, need to assess if I need one, think I will as we tend to base camp on a site and drive out, not into flitting nightly.

Things I've bought while waiting:
Duvalay mattress and fitted sheets (for lower bed)
Silentnight mattress topper to go over the Duvalay
Smoke and CO detector
907 cylinder from Chorley
VW front window deflectors
Scotchgard for the seat fabric
Sparesafe wheel lock
Brandrup thetford portapotti kit
Fiamma level-ups and bag
Brompton electric bike

I think I've been quite restrained, really...

Great info, do you mind me asking which window deflectors you have gone for?

(supposedly) genuine VW stick on ones:
I have no idea how good they are yet, but they don't rely on those clip things that people are having trouble with.
PS - I think they are cheaper elsewhere!

Back