Essentials?

S

SilentRunning

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi
I'm after a list of "essential" things you should have before your first trip (Collecting our Cali in May/June). I'm pretty sure I've seen people post stuff about this on here, but with the search not working, I'm struggling to find them again. Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks

Most will tell you (and they are right) to take your time and travel with the Cali a few times, so you will learn what you (with your personal situation and preferences) will need/like or will not.

But to mention a few things that I would not want be without on my first real outing:

- Power cable to be able to hookup to electricity.
- A decent mattress if you plan on sleeping in the lower bed.
- A power strip.
- Camping gaz if you plan on cooking.
- Pan, kettle, cutlery, etc.
- The manual or access to this forum!

Hope your first outing will be great!

You'll soon either get sick of (or break) the flimsy fitted windscreen blinds, so start to consider whether you'd prefer to upgrade to internal or external blinds for the front cab area. If you think you're likely to get up much in the night you may also want to consider a window blind for the sliding door as the fitted blind doesn't open with the door.

Consider adding a small fire extinguisher, especially if you plan to use the gas hob. Not the most exciting accessory, but could be the one you are most grateful for having Included!
Safeguard told me I needed one for my policy, if anyone reading this is with them it might be worth asking the question. That said, speak to most insurers, getting the same answer twice from two different people is a challenge.

You'll soon either get sick of (or break) the flimsy fitted windscreen blinds, so start to consider whether you'd prefer to upgrade to internal or external blinds for the front cab area. If you think you're likely to get up much in the night you may also want to consider a window blind for the sliding door as the fitted blind doesn't open with the door.
Agreed on the windscreen blinds. I use a bungee strung across the 2 front grab handles with a cheap throw across them. Keeps most of the light out and some of the condenstation. Pretty agricultural but works

Essentials. Honestly take with you the bare minimum - bedding (keep warm, tho the heater is brilliant), basic cooking utensils, toiletries, appropriate clothing for the weather and some basic foodstuffs (coffee, bread, etc.). And then add what you think you need. Make memories not lists!

Comfortable reclining camp chairs. Chuck out the sit up and beg vw ones and store an emergency collapsible toilet where you've created space in the backflap.
Remoska - not cheap but incredibly flexible cooking device.
Good long hookup cable so you can use the best out of the way pitches. We use 50 metres of 1.5mm cable on a homemade wooden reel.
Single ring burner to screw into the camping gaz cylinder.
Agree on the windscreen blind. We use a cheap light one with suckers on the inside or a more substantial exterior one when we are far enough South.
Probably not for everybody - a couple of Gumotex whitewater inflatable kayaks, and electric bikes on a towbar carrier.
Sounds a bit flippant, but it's not. It's important to stay comfortable, entertained, and well fed on those extended trips. What have I forgotten? Wine, but the excellent Cali fridge takes care of that!