Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

NC500 - can you share your itinerary please

I suspect like any other tourist attraction the NC500 will be very very busy this summer with most holidaying at home, described last year as a "trail of human excrement and litter by locals". If you are going and want to enjoy the route and the stunning scenery I would recommend going off season.

I don't want to pour cold water on your plans however .
We live in the tourist west coast, given what happened last year I would leave it till the foreign holidays start again, the scenery will still be there and the infrastructure will be improved by them.
Highland council are encouraging aires and more tourist infrastructure will be in place with less folk.
There will this year be more rangers to help police the tourists but the Police are really thin on the ground up here, proportional to normal population not the many times inflated tourist season.

If you still want to then either find a different route in Scotland and book campsites, Free camping could be stressful finding a place, I looked last night on Scottish motorhome campers FB page Map of free camping spots, I know locally that very many of those are gone, fenced off or boulders in place to prevent there use.
We went up the north west coast in late September last year and found sites totally rammed full. I was horrified especially at Port a Bhaigh site - it was so full they were parking them tight on their car park to get more in - biggest laugh was only 2 people allowed in each side of toilets yet 30 outside trying to get Wi-Fi. Oddly you could get a shower at 8 in the morning!! So many hired campervans and motorhomes around with loads having no idea how to drive them let alone set-up on site!! Tyndrum on the way up was ok as long as you didn't mind waiting for all the hikers to leave before using the showers - there were only 3 campers and couple of motorhomes. We went East to Dornoch along some lovely quiet small road and found a large open site next to the golf course - ideal base to visit places like the Black Isle - never realise what a pretty place Cromarty is. If folk to disappear abroad we might visit end of Sept

If you're anywhere near Torridon then I would stay a night in the Torridon Hotel, the food is some of the best I've ever had.
That was on TV recently with Monica Galetti and Giles Conran viewing and working there - all I can say is wow!

We’ve been going to Scotland a couple of times a year for forty years particularly the islands of the West coast and the highlands with dips into the East coast. We’ve been to many areas time and time again including the areas now called the NC500. The initial concept behind the NC500 was well intended but in our view has done the area a disservice. There is no offence intended when we say this as everyone has their own agendas when travelling but it appears there are many who now simply see the NC500 as a tick box excursion. There is so much and more to Scotland, our advice is to break it into bite sized chunks and enjoy an area fully then return again and again.
For us the journey to and through Scotland is in itself a destination.

A couple of areas worth considering that you may miss off the 500.
Before Gairloch turn off on the B8056 towards Badachro, pass the lovely bay and continue to Redpoint Beach, beautiful red sand and dunes.
Follow the path along the coast for wonderful views across Loch Torridon. Each time we visited this area it was completely deserted, we spent a week in this area alone as there is a lot of great walking from Gairloch.
From Big Sand there is a road towards Rubha Redih at the roads end walk 3 miles along the headland to the beach and lighthouse savouring the views of Skye and the Western Isles, again deserted, we had it t ourselves.
Just two examples that most people will miss ‘doing the NC500’ there are so many more we are happy to share.
Whatever you decide we hope you have a great trip and fall as much in love with Scotland as we did on our very first trip.
Before we bought our camper our last 'rental accommodation' was the Cabin at Red Point - it was wonderful albeit my Volvo V70 auto est has a sticking brake calliper which heated up!!! LOads of lovely walks around. Love all those places you mention - before Red Point we rented cottage on west coast of Applecross and did a walk on the 2nd day over the top - took us 8 hours and we saw absolutely no one (this was though in 2011 when NC500 in it's infancy so less traffic around). There really is too much to see away from the 500

We went up the north west coast in late September last year and found sites totally rammed full. I was horrified especially at Port a Bhaigh site - it was so full they were parking them tight on their car park to get more in - biggest laugh was only 2 people allowed in each side of toilets yet 30 outside trying to get Wi-Fi. Oddly you could get a shower at 8 in the morning!! So many hired campervans and motorhomes around with loads having no idea how to drive them let alone set-up on site!! Tyndrum on the way up was ok as long as you didn't mind waiting for all the hikers to leave before using the showers - there were only 3 campers and couple of motorhomes. We went East to Dornoch along some lovely quiet small road and found a large open site next to the golf course - ideal base to visit places like the Black Isle - never realise what a pretty place Cromarty is. If folk to disappear abroad we might visit end of Sept

We stayed at Port a Bhaigh a few years ago, it was great, excellent meals in the pub / restaurant as well. However, I think we’ll avoid for the foreseeable future. Once planes start flying, it might become tolerable. Until then, forget about the popular areas / routes.

We stayed at Port a Bhaigh a few years ago, it was great, excellent meals in the pub / restaurant as well. However, I think we’ll avoid for the foreseeable future. Once planes start flying, it might become tolerable. Until then, forget about the popular areas / routes.
It was great the last time we went which was 2017

20200919_191600.jpg

20200919_095029.jpg