Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EU Referendum - 23rd June - How will you vote?

EU Referendum

• Stay in the EU

Votes: 90 51.4%
  • Leave the EU

Votes: 85 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn those crafty Europeans, taking our sovereignty away by stealth with their human rights for everyone*
Let's tell 'em what we think and vote Leave. That'll teach 'em.

* The same human rights act that 'er Majesty proposes to repeal...

Fred, you are lowering the tone...... Is it because you don't actually have an asset to the issues raised in my post? I suspect so.

Yes, that's right David, it's about you...

I am heartened to learn that you agree that if we decide to stay within the union at this referendum, and if we were later to decide to leave, we could do so without waging war against those we have so much in common.

Not sophistry at all. It is as blindingly obvious as that at some point in the future the Scots could be offered a second referendum to leave the United Kingdom.

In 1973 there was a referendum to join the Common Market. I was young at the time, but I remember it well. Since then the Common Market has morphed into the European Union, and we are being offered a second referendum to confirm or otherwise that this is the right union for us. As the EU continues to develop with an even wider range of common policy, it is perfectly credible to expect that at some stage further down the line we would be offered a further vote to confirm our membership.
Oh dear once again you are putting words in my mouth. You raised the issue of war, not me Crispin Family. It is a non issue. Just forget it and concentrate on the real issues.

Why do you think that we will be offered a further vote to stay in the EU? It has taken us 43 years to get this one. I cannot follow your logic.
Perhaps you are referring to the normal EU procedures whereby if the election doesn't get the right result first time round then it has to be run again until it is right?

Your suggestion of having a regular referendum because of the changes to the EU is a good one, but not at 43 year intervals though. And logically it should be offered to all the countries in the EU. Even more democratic we should elect the Commissioners but on maybe a 4 year basis, not 43 years . A definite move in the right direction .

You don't think we have anything in common with the rest of Europe? I would have thought we have just about everything in common.
Its their governments we have nothing in common with. Each nation does what is best for their people. Regretfully our government seems to think that other play fair. As do some here. I think otherwise and in my dealings beyond our borders see this every day. I suppose it all depends on where you look.

As I say I want the EU to downsize and be less authoritative. Then we stay. No to a superstate as that would spell disaster.

Fred, you are lowering the tone...... Is it because you don't actually have an asset to the issues raised in my post? I suspect so.
Oops, sorry, that should read 'is it because you don't have an answer to the issues I raised'
It's this damn spell checker, keeps doing this to me

To move the discussion on, just maybe non of us plebs will be any better off either way....

(this one might just be for Grauniad readers only..... some of you read at your peril)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/30/eu-referendum-neoliberal-irvine-welsh

Retires gracefully behind some sand bags.... :Nailbiting:Nailbiting:Nailbiting

(I did particularly enjoy the last 2 and a bit paragraphs.:))
My God, what a gloomy view! No wonder the Left and the Today programme are so miserable having to read that sort of thing every day! Especially the somewhat inaccurate last 2.5 paras.

If it wasnt for the EU I would be paying exorbitant roaming charges for our trip to France and Spain this summer, I now pay the same as what I pay in the UK

For this reason I am staying in.

If it wasnt for the EU I would be paying exorbitant roaming charges for our trip to France and Spain this summer, I now pay the same as what I pay in the UK

Are you serious?

Mike

Why not? Over the course of a lieftime this could save me thousands!

Are you serious?

Mike
My son works in Corsica/The Alps, whilst there are other options to communicate the fact that he can now get calls for the same price as in the uk and in Europe is hugely beneficial....this is very true for the huge numbers of young people from this country who work ( without restriction) in the EU.

I have tried to refrain from joining this ongoing 'debate' as it has deteriorated to a bit of a slanging match and has been disappointing to read. However, my concern is that this referendum (and by association the views of some on this thread) will have a significant effect on the 'younger' generation and those who seem to be in favour of an 'out' are failing to recognise the impact on those young people, many of whom wish to remain.

Having failed miserably to not join in I have and I shall now hopefully have nothing more to do with this tedious thread.....

The USA is not part of the EU and nor is Australia and I paid the same Roaming charges there as I do in the UK. If that is the only basis for your decision then heaven help the UK.

Well, everything else I have read here is all pie in the sky with no firm evidence, we all know it will be a 'stay in' vote come 23rd June, it is just a formality, we can debate as much as we like. There is just too little evidence to convince people to vote OUT so most people will play it safe, just like the sweaty socks did.

My son works in Corsica/The Alps, whilst there are other options to communicate the fact that he can now get calls for the same price as in the uk and in Europe is hugely beneficial....this is very true for the huge numbers of young people from this country who work ( without restriction) in the EU.

I have tried to refrain from joining this ongoing 'debate' as it has deteriorated to a bit of a slanging match and has been disappointing to read. However, my concern is that this referendum (and by association the views of some on this thread) will have a significant effect on the 'younger' generation and those who seem to be in favour of an 'out' are failing to recognise the impact on those young people, many of whom wish to remain.

Having failed miserably to not join in I have and I shall now hopefully have nothing more to do with this tedious thread.....
This Referendum is supposed to be Democratic, 1 vote per registered voter. So the "younger generation" will just have to get out and vote as they wish and if they don't or can't be bothered then tough. Use it or loose it.

This Referendum is supposed to be Democratic, 1 vote per registered voter. So the "younger generation" will just have to get out and vote as they wish and if they don't or can't be bothered then tough. Use it or loose it.
You miss the point by some distance ......but I really can't be bothered to respond any further

Maybe I've missed it but I don't think I've heard a single positive reason for voting either way so far. I was expecting the campaign to be negative but not quite as negative as this

You miss the point by some distance ......but I really can't be bothered to respond any further
Exactly, neither can the " younger generation".
Fortunately Roaming Charges are not high on my children's list of priorities when it comes to making their decision on Referendum Day.

Exactly, neither can the " younger generation".
Fortunately Roaming Charges are not high on my children's list of priorities when it comes to making their decision on Referendum Day.

Leave will win based on turnout. The young don't tend to vote as diligently as older people.
Phone polls, the most reliable show a remain lead but it open because of the turn out factor. I am taking 24 OAPs to vote on the 23rd, don't know how they will vote but older people have way more wisdom than the young so there is a good probabilty out will win. Either way I believe it will be close so hopefully Cameron and Mr U Turn Osbourn will be out.

A good reasoned article.

Much of what he states is opinion, yes he cites various sources and yes many will be correct, others may well be wrong.

I noted that in relation to the size of the EU civil service his link was to the BBC article disputed earlier in this thread.

I will confine myself to the first point in his blog which is Trade. The figures are no doubt as accurate as figures ever are and the argument is therefore compelling, or is it.
Yes 45% of trade is with the EU. Well it would be wouldn't it as almost everything in recent years has been legislated to achieve this.

You could use the figures to show a contrary argument, 45% is high so there would be even more reason to remain if the figure was 75% or would it? Therefore I ignore this figure and am more concerned about the future. I want to live in a world where we are open to the world not one where barriers are created. There is hope that the WTO will force the EU in this direction but I am not holding my breath.

We are living in a smaller world all the time, trade should be free across the world. Many in the EU are far more protectionist and that is a not a good thing for world trade or peace.

Mike

For the EU to survive it must listen to the people. Too many focus on uncertainty and statistics but forget the fact that some in power demand total integration. That denies democratic rights for individual nations and the biggest will impose their will.
I want the EU to reform and stop integration.We are fine as members if they allow freedom to chose the right to refuse legislation.
Some will argue that we gain and to some extent we do. But remove those rose tinted spectacles and ignore the rubbish for both camps spouting rubbish and think long term the dangers of a superstate.
The USSR failed and so would a superstate EU.
Get it back to reality and remain good members of a partnership of limited power and interference. That way everyone in Europe would benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.