Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eurotunnel - Frequent Traveler

I think the DVLA criteria is pretty clear. Eurotunnel’s policy is entirely up to them but its criteria is slightly ambiguous in that it does not mention the words ‘permanently fixed cooking facility’.
I don't think that any reasonable person would conclude that if a driver of a Smart car packed a PocketRocket 2, a 100g canister of gas, a camping mat, a folding table and stools, all in a box then placed that box on the passenger seat, that that vehicle is now a campervan which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities).

I don't think that any reasonable person would conclude that if a driver of a Smart car packed a PocketRocket 2, a 100g canister of gas, a camping mat, a folding table and stools, all in a box then placed that box on the passenger seat, that that vehicle is now a campervan which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities).

Totally agree. There are also plenty of 4x4s with roof mounted tents and slide out kitchen/expedition pods etc.... where does it leave them?

Eurotunnel, in leaving out the phrase ‘permanently fitted’ have muddied the water.

I'm not denying having those facilities, I'm denying my vehicle has those facilities. Fitting a couple of Vanessa window bags, and chucking in a gas stove the night before travelling does not convert my Beach from Eurotunnel's definition of a high car to Eurotunnel's definition of a campervan.

But just to set your mind at rest, I will email Eurotunnel customer services.

=====
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have a vehicle over 1.85m and have been reading your definition of a campervan/motorhome. "Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities)."

https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-g...hat-vehicle-type-should-I-book-my-vehicle-as-

Clearly my vehicle has seats, and these can be converted into a bed, it also has a roof tent. It came equipped, as standard, with a removable table. However, it has no built in cooking or storage facilities (other than the glove compartment and underseat trays). If I take with me a camping stove and a some boxes for storage, does my vehicle become reclassified as a campervan/motorhome?

Yours Sincerely,
=====

I shall post their response.

I emailed them too at the time of my booking, I notice they promise to respond in 7 days... wow fast turn around haha

Totally agree. There are also plenty of 4x4s with roof mounted tents and slide out kitchen/expedition pods etc.... where does it leave them?

Eurotunnel, in leaving out the phrase ‘permanently fitted’ have muddied the water.

Eurotunnel probably need to include the definition of a motorhome for non-EU motorhomes (I'm assuming all EU vehicle licencing authorities share a common motorhome definition).

=====
Minimum features In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features, as follows:
  • a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation

If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.
=====

That definition does not include a Beach, Eurotunnel could get around that by adding, "or listed on the registration document as having the bodytype of a motorhome."

Just discovered another sneaky nasty trick they’ve pulled.

Off peak travel times are stated as before 6am each day.

In reality there are no 5-59 trains. Last train is 3-25am. (Tried today to make a booking.

Sneaky b’stards

5ebb59db7f6d6da17dc7aa25b40f4a52.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. Now they know to keep an eye out ! :talktothehand

Never had a problem with Eurotunnel.

Always had a frequent tunneller, miner, digger....whatever it's called....

So it's an £11 supplement over a passenger car under 1.85. To be expected.

So they charge more at peak. To be expected.

For the first time almost since the tunnel opened I took a ferry last trip. A short notice trip, couldn't get what I wanted on ET, ferry cost me £80 each way (thank you CAMC) so I'm sure ET are aware of the competition and would worry more about being competitive than looking for cheap ways to shaft the customers they want to keep.

The response is about as much use as a donkey wearing a dildo.

==========
Thank you for your email.

Can you please confirm what the vehicle type is stated on your log book? If the vehicle has any accommodation facilities, this would be classed as a campavan on our service. If you are carrying a camping stove or have loose boxes, this would not be classed as accommodation facilities. If the storage and / or camping stove is fixed to the vehicle, this would be classed as campervan.

Kind regards

Louise
Sales Support Team
Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

Tel. UK - 08443 35 35 35 / France - 0321 00 61 00 / Belgium - 070 22 32 10 /
Holland - 0900 5040540 / Germany - 0180 500 0248

E-Mail sales.support@eurotunnel.com <"mailto:sales.support@Eurotunnel.com>
==========

Back