Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is a Beach a Campervan (Eurotunnel)

Thanks for that. Great spec.
'£33,815.00 California Beach 7 speed DSG'
Is that the price before VAT?

Yes - before 20% VAT and before discount. If VAT only is included, £48,000 so particularly close to the OPs suggestion of £50,000. If VAT and discount are included the price is £41,280.

It is now quite clear to me that it would be perfectly possible to spend £50,000+ on a Beach.:eek:

I played with the idea of a beach as replacement for the wife car to run as well as my SE, I wasn't being greedy with the options - 150 DSG with parking heater, 7 seats and awning and it came out over £54k. At that point I decided her current car would be fine for another year or two.

I played with the idea of a beach as replacement for the wife car to run as well as my SE, I wasn't being greedy with the options - 150 DSG with parking heater, 7 seats and awning and it came out over £54k. At that point I decided her current car would be fine for another year or two.
54k?
What other options did you spec?
Wowzer. Was it just speccing list price online or was that a dealer quote?
That's over £10k more than it should be with a reasonable deal from a good dealer.

Yes - before 20% VAT and before discount. If VAT only is included, £48,000 so particularly close to the OPs suggestion of £50,000. If VAT and discount are included the price is £41,280.

It is now quite clear to me that it would be perfectly possible to spend £50,000+ on a Beach.:eek:

Are you able to reclaim the vat?

54k?
What other options did you spec?
Wowzer. Was it just speccing list price online or was that a dealer quote?
That's over £10k more than it should be with a reasonable deal from a good dealer.

That was just on the configurator - would need something like a 35% discount to make it stack up.

I specced a new Beach a couple of weeks ago. It hit £48k. Decided to hang onto the one I've got for another year or two :cool:

The price is nuts really, but then there is nothing else quite like it on the market today.

I am currently looking at a Beach. It does not need much to get it over £50k.

Albert may have to cart me around a bit longer :D

Are you able to reclaim the vat?

It did briefly occur to me that I could pretend the van was for business use only, but either my morality is slightly stronger than my greed or I am fearful of being caught.

No, I cannot reclaim the VAT through any legal process.

It did briefly occur to me that I could pretend the van was for business use only, but either my morality is slightly stronger than my greed or I am fearful of being caught.

No, I cannot reclaim the VAT through any legal process.

Ok, I was wondering why you hadn't included it in you calculations :thumb

Ok, I was wondering why you hadn't included it in you calculations

Because I was able to copy and paste the ex-vat prices, and not the inc-vat prices, and the ex-vat price is reasonably similar to the inc-vat price with discount (£40,000 ~ £41,280).

In other words, pure laziness on my part.

How come a well specced T6 Beach is now far more expensive than the original Beaches, is it the engines, the T6 factor, huge extras list or just price rises? They now seem to be the same prices that T5 SE's used to be quite recently.

How come a well specced T6 Beach is now far more expensive than the original Beaches, is it the engines, the T6 factor, huge extras list or just price rises? They now seem to be the same prices that T5 SE's used to be quite recently.
New vehicle, so virtually everything is an extra/accessory at a price. As time goes on more and more equipment is added to the standard package.
So the base vehicle seems reasonable compared to the preceding model but then you have to pay extra for everything.

£33,815.00 California Beach 7 speed DSG
£175.00 Grape yellow
£0.00 Kutamo Fabric
£860.00 2 x swivel seats with integrated child seats
£0.00 3 seater bench
£120.00 App connect
£700.00 Discover Media navigation
£200.00 Interior light concept
£50.00 2 USB interfaces
£50.00 USB interface
£170.00 Cruise control
£350.00 Front and rear parking sensors
£275.00 Leather multi-function steering wheel
£330.00 Awning - housing and rail in black
£480.00 Towbar – removable/lockable
£0.00 Without model and engine badges
£605.00 Cliamatronic 3-zone air conditioning
£1,450.00 Programable air parking heater with rc
£0.00 Two remote keys plus rigid key
£220.00 Privacy glass with green insulating glass in cab
£150.00 Sliding window

Has the base price increased from £33815 + VAT to £35110 + VAT

Will not have much use for the kitchen, so likely to buy a pod and also like the integrated 2 swivel seats for the girls.

I think the Ocean is better value overall, however, we require the flexibility of being able to use it as a car, a load carrier and an occasional camper. I do not fancy lugging a kitchen around when 95% of the time it will be of little use.

Why do you want a beach out of interest Jen?

My weekly "have I got it right" Matt :happy

My water tank lasts for about 30 days of camping, my gas cylinder so far for about 80 days, I don't need a sink, my maximum time away from hook-up has reduced from 10 days to around two days with a change of preference towards full facility camp sites, I only use the gas rings for making cups of tea and soup.... I really have ended up looking at all the interior furniture and asking "Do I need it?"

However two things that I will not do without are DSG and 4motion so the beach choice is almost academic to me.

I booked my Beach without giving the registration number and just booked as a car over 1.85m high. Travelled through last week without any problems, nobody said a thing.

I booked my Beach without giving the registration number and just booked as a car over 1.85m high. Travelled through last week without any problems, nobody said a thing.
Just looking to book our Beach for 2017 and the price difference is £81 for Car over 1.85m vs £121 as Campervan, that's £80 extra over both legs.
Not booked yet, but just wondering what happened at the terminal - do you just use the booking ref rather than relying on the number plate recognition?

Just looking to book our Beach for 2017 and the price difference is £81 for Car over 1.85m vs £121 as Campervan, that's £80 extra over both legs.
Not booked yet, but just wondering what happened at the terminal - do you just use the booking ref rather than relying on the number plate recognition?
Hi
We have a beach and travel by Eurotunnel 3-4 times a year and always book as a car above 1.85 At the terminal you just go through the automated kiosk never had a problem.

When you arrive at the terminal, you have to put the card that you booked with into the machine, and it prints the mirror hanger.

No problem at all.

I've booked again in March as a high car. £120 return or as those in the know, know. £40 of Tesco club card points ;)

WARNING - VERY TANGENTIAL AND PROBABLY TEDIOUS POST AHEAD... :rolleyes:

I think you may be making the assumption that companies make their pricing decisions "fairly", based on their costs, rather than on supply and demand factors. In high-fixed-cost businesses like transportation especially, pricing is a function of 'yield management', or what an economist would describe as 'filling all the positions on the demand curve'.

In simpler terms, they ask themselves: "what pricing strategies can we apply that will ensure that we achieve the highest possible sales revenue per train?" Their costs are, as a generality, fixed.

Although I have no special insight into Eurotunnel's business, I'd guess that they assume that campervan owners are less price-elastic in demand terms than car drivers. That is (perhaps) we campervan folks will be more likely to travel anyway, even at a surcharged price, whereas car owners will consider comparables, eg flying on a low-cost airline and renting a car, or some other mode.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't want to take into account any expected marginal costs - like a gas check, but that wouldn't actually cost them any more (the staff are employed anyway) AND as WG has said, in practice they don't actually check you gas bottle anyway. ;)
VW (and pretty much every other manufacturer) use exactly the same pricing strategy across their model ranges too - less to do with the cost of the extras they bolt on and more to do with the value perceived by the consumer. Don't you just love economics :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We buy most things on our Tesco credit card to collect the point for the tunnel crossings. I think it's £10 of points for £30.
Tesco Vouchers used, but, having given the VRM, the phone conversation on the Beach campervan vs. car didn't go well - supervisor referred to, who stated that, with the DVLA body type the sleeping facilities alone qualify it for the higher price bracket.
Never mind; money saved overall, thanks to the Clubcard tip - Ta.
Now just need to plan the campsites and route...

Back