Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is a Beach a Campervan (Eurotunnel)

Never been asked about my Gas Bottle although it is disconnected. Much happier travelling in the single deck type carriage rather than the double deckers. Also at the front of the train. Worth the extra as it's like travelling first class and easier access to the toilets.:thumb worth the extra.

Never been asked about my Gas Bottle although it is disconnected. Much happier travelling in the single deck type carriage rather than the double deckers. Also at the front of the train. Worth the extra as it's like travelling first class and easier access to the toilets.:thumb worth the extra.

Yep, that's where we end up. But slightly cheaper. As I always state car with roof box, it's means the vehicle is to tall for the double deck section.
Never been in the double.

We were asked about the gas bottle for both ways last month. Totally agree about being up the front and it also means you get off the train quicker. :)

After reading all this I'm not sure whether to just pay the #11 surcharge or hire a lawyer :sad

People have £40k high spec Cali Beaches and then quibble about an £11 surcharge!!!!!!!!!
And that's from a Yorkshireman, who are supposedly tight.

Edited to adjust price.

Last edited:
People have £50k Calis and then quibble about an £11 surcharge!!!!!!!!!
And that's from a Yorkshireman, who are supposedly tight.
My wife and I have saved a long and hard to buy a Cali and the reason we have one now and not in three years is that we're not careless with every £11.

Notwithstanding, surely the other point here is that a Cali beach is not any different to Eurotunnel ltd. than a car with a roofbox - there are no gas checks or additional risks and/or costs to Eurotunnel in transporting a Cali beach as compared to a high car.

Is it possible to pay £50,000 for a Beach? The one we have on order is fairly high spec and is £40,000 before discount.
Perhaps you should go for high spec rather than 'fairly high spec' to get into the 50k price bracket? ;)

Notwithstanding, surely the other point here is that a Cali beach is not any different to Eurotunnel ltd. than a car with a roofbox - there are no gas checks or additional risks and/or costs to Eurotunnel in transporting a Cali beach as compared to a high car.

WARNING - VERY TANGENTIAL AND PROBABLY TEDIOUS POST AHEAD... :rolleyes:

I think you may be making the assumption that companies make their pricing decisions "fairly", based on their costs, rather than on supply and demand factors. In high-fixed-cost businesses like transportation especially, pricing is a function of 'yield management', or what an economist would describe as 'filling all the positions on the demand curve'.

In simpler terms, they ask themselves: "what pricing strategies can we apply that will ensure that we achieve the highest possible sales revenue per train?" Their costs are, as a generality, fixed.

Although I have no special insight into Eurotunnel's business, I'd guess that they assume that campervan owners are less price-elastic in demand terms than car drivers. That is (perhaps) we campervan folks will be more likely to travel anyway, even at a surcharged price, whereas car owners will consider comparables, eg flying on a low-cost airline and renting a car, or some other mode.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't want to take into account any expected marginal costs - like a gas check, but that wouldn't actually cost them any more (the staff are employed anyway) AND as WG has said, in practice they don't actually check you gas bottle anyway. ;)

My wife and I have saved a long and hard to buy a Cali and the reason we have one now and not in three years is that we're not careless with every £11.

You'll have to take that up with Eurotunnel and DVLA. They are the ones that have it listed as a" Motor Caravan " as stated on your V5c.
Many Beach owners have fitted kitchen pods or carry gas cookers and gas cylinders. So are they declared? Or sneaked through as a " High Car ".
As far as I'm concerned if everyone treats it as a CamperVan/Motor Caravan then that is what it is. End of Story.

In fact, and this will be considered highly contentious, by booking as a " High Car " instead of a Motor Caravan/CamperVan as stated on the V5c then the owner is committing a fraudulent act.:shocked:Nailbiting

You'll have to take that up with Eurotunnel and DVLA. They are the ones that have it listed as a" Motor Caravan " as stated on your V5c.
Many Beach owners have fitted kitchen pods or carry gas cookers and gas cylinders. So are they declared? Or sneaked through as a " High Car ".
As far as I'm concerned if everyone treats it as a CamperVan/Motor Caravan then that is what it is. End of Story.

In fact, and this will be considered highly contentious, by booking as a " High Car " instead of a Motor Caravan/CamperVan as stated on the V5c then the owner is committing a fraudulent act.:shocked:Nailbiting
I understand your position but I disagree. I for one will persist with using the loophole on the basis that I cost Mr Eurotunnel no more than if I was a high car.

Goodness! The cads :shocked

Now I do not only need a lawyer when booking my ticket I also need a minder to protect me from all those travelling illegally!

Now I'm not sure whether I am travelling with genuine travellers or those doing a sagan "stalag luft 3" type escape.... although if I get swept off my feet by a Steve McQueen lookalike I will not complain :oops:

I understand your position but I disagree. I for one will persist with using the loophole on the basis that I cost Mr Eurotunnel no more than if I was a high car.
So using an " unintended loophole " is OK. A bit like Tax Avoidance or is it Tax Evasion?

So using an " unintended loophole " is OK. A bit like Tax Avoidance or is it Tax Evasion?
Eurotunnel are a private company in business to make profit. There are zero implications of Eurotunnel failing to enforce there own charging policies.

If you would like to continue to subsidise the rest of us feel free.

Eurotunnel are a private company in business to make profit. There are zero implications of Eurotunnel failing to enforce there own charging policies.

If you would like to continue to subsidise the rest of us feel free.
No, I'll just travel on a legal booking using the vehicle type as registered with the DVLA, thank you.

Is it possible to pay £50,000 for a Beach? The one we have on order is fairly high spec and is £40,000 before discount.
If it's 40k before discount but fairly highly specced what did you spec?
I assume you got the 104 engine? If not the base price for a 150 is only just short of 40k without any options...
I'm now intrigued as to what you have ordered. :)

Man walks into a pub.

"Pint of ale please barman"
Barman replies "that will be £4.80"
"But it says £3.80 on the price list?"
Barman "Yes that price is for Beach drivers. I notice you pulled into the car park in an Ocean/SE and decided to charge you more. We all know how you guys love spending more than you need too."
"Right exactly, I'll have two pints then."

Man walks into a pub.

Barman "Yes that price is for Beach drivers. I notice you pulled into the car park in an Ocean/SE and decided to charge you more. We all know how you guys love spending more than you need too."
I see. You're saying that SE/Ocean owners ARE NOT cheapskates.

I can agree with that. Thank you for the compliment. Very kind of you.:thumb

Man walks into a pub.

Don't give up the day job......stand up comedians across the country have nothing to fear from you ;)

If it's 40k before discount but fairly highly specced what did you spec?
I assume you got the 104 engine? If not the base price for a 150 is only just short of 40k without any options...
I'm now intrigued as to what you have ordered. :)

£33,815.00 California Beach 7 speed DSG
£175.00 Grape yellow
£0.00 Kutamo Fabric
£860.00 2 x swivel seats with integrated child seats
£0.00 3 seater bench
£120.00 App connect
£700.00 Discover Media navigation
£200.00 Interior light concept
£50.00 2 USB interfaces
£50.00 USB interface
£170.00 Cruise control
£350.00 Front and rear parking sensors