Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Expensive Panel Vans

AND..... alot of money to fork out and find VW haven't fixed the dreaded diecast aluminium plate front roof panel corrosion ! mine came apart ( again ) during 3 days of heatwave, followed by huge rain downfalls and nice soaking wet carpet again, so have now fixed that polypropylene cap they put on, no thanks to VW approved Nationwide useless repairs at Swavesey) and touch wood no leaks, my thanks to one of the folks on here for the help, advising me to use sikaflex, the latest is EBT a 3 in one ( adhesive,filler and flexible ) shot loads in the gap and along joint ( after draining remaining water out first ) and so far it bloody works ! and for those who had the roof corrosion repair caused by the steal metal wire in the rubber trim, make sure VW dealer you use tell you about a recall, so a plastic strip is inserted between rubber trim and roof !

AND..... alot of money to fork out and find VW haven't fixed the dreaded diecast aluminium plate front roof panel corrosion ! mine came apart ( again ) during 3 days of heatwave, followed by huge rain downfalls and nice soaking wet carpet again, so have now fixed that polypropylene cap they put on, no thanks to VW approved Nationwide useless repairs at Swavesey) and touch wood no leaks, my thanks to one of the folks on here for the help, advising me to use sikaflex, the latest is EBT a 3 in one ( adhesive,filler and flexible ) shot loads in the gap and along joint ( after draining remaining water out first ) and so far it bloody works ! and for those who had the roof corrosion repair caused by the steal metal wire in the rubber trim, make sure VW dealer you use tell you about a recall, so a plastic strip is inserted between rubber trim and roof !
3C418200-D4FC-4897-A745-AC281208FEAF.jpeg8A95939E-AD09-4D38-A8C2-F59DDDE55D2D.jpeg

Would this be the plastic strip (please see the photos below)? I have an eight month old Cali and noticed this plastic strip/bit of tape poking out of the pop top joint a few months ago. I was wondering whether to take it back to the dealer, ignore it or stick some electrical insulation tape over it. I’ve been meaning to ask the forum about it for a while!

7DFAA92A-6B68-4825-B600-5902659D3219.jpeg

42339DC7-9269-431F-8C2D-1D4264B489C7.jpeg

Would this be the plastic strip (please see the photos below)? I have an eight month old Cali and noticed this plastic strip/bit of tape poking out of the pop top joint a few months ago. I was wondering whether to take it back to the dealer, ignore it or stick some electrical insulation tape over it. I’ve been meaning to ask the forum about it for a while!

View attachment 65830

View attachment 65831
You will have to take it back to the dealers and get them
to stick a new one on. Ignoring it or doing something yourself will
probably affect any future warranty issues.

You will have to take it back to the dealers and get them
to stick a new one on. Ignoring it or doing something yourself will
probably affect any future warranty issues.

Is it not just a bit of clear 3m tape...?

Mine did that on the nearside only, got hold of some 3M prop tape, degreased the area and stuck a new piece on, it hasnt come of this summer..

Mine did that on the nearside only, got hold of some 3M prop tape, degreased the area and stuck a new piece on, it hasnt come of this summer..

Mine did the same a while back.
I should probably do the same, especially as I’m now out of warranty.

Expensive cars are easier to get nowadays due to pcp. I've heard of stories about pcp where people have a flash car but next to nothing to live on for each month.
Peoples priorities seem very skewed nowadays. Fur coat no knickers :talktothehand
It was ever thus, easy terms etc

When I ask the older guys at work how much a car costs they say £50k
When I ask the younger guys the same question they say £450............(a month!)

On the plus side dealers are only interested in giving discounts on PCP sales so its has been great for getting extra discount and perks then pay it off straight away.

But I do agree the modern way is to rent everything to the max. A spin off of a generation that has only known low interest rates

Unfortunately with Vanworx they are 'VW approved' so they think they can charge dealer prices, and some.
I was scathing at first, but there must be a market for such things or at least something close to it. At this price, it will probably remain a demonstrator and people can buy the parts and slowly turn their 100bhp transporter into a sporty looking van with body kit and 20” wheels for a fraction of this price. They have the capital to create the trend that brings people in the door. Those people coming in the door probably look at a California Ocean as a bloated unstylish portaloo lugger with a couple of wrinklies in it, in the same way as many here look at Motorhome owners.

I was scathing at first, but there must be a market for such things or at least something close to it. At this price, it will probably remain a demonstrator and people can buy the parts and slowly turn their 100bhp transporter into a sporty looking van with body kit and 20” wheels for a fraction of this price. They have the capital to create the trend that brings people in the door. Those people coming in the door probably look at a California Ocean as a bloated unstylish portaloo lugger with a couple of wrinklies in it, in the same way as many here look at Motorhome owners.
It’s more the bespoke elements of what you can order I think. From start to finish you choose your base bus and can colour code every nut and bolt through to completion. You can’t do this with a Cali, plus not everybody wants a hardcore camper (unless you buy a beach...) so these guys ride the waves of people who like an everyday sporty van that doesn’t have 4 beds and so on. I suppose it’s a large GTI !!

View attachment 65830

View attachment 65831
As you have a new T6 i would defiantly not touch that strip and get the dealer to sort it out as you have warranty, for interest is it a soft plastic strip or clear tape (like insulating tape in clear ) i suspect the roof opening and closing has pulled it out ? another so called improvement by VW after the roof corrosion problems !

Westfalia post above seams to have the right answer regards plastic strip, i should have read post before hand..Duhhh !

On the plus side dealers are only interested in giving discounts on PCP sales so its has been great for getting extra discount and perks then pay it off straight away.

But I do agree the modern way is to rent everything to the max. A spin off of a generation that has only known low interest rates
Bring back 15% did Baked beans and bread sales a world of good;)

We're currently looking for a Cali, and have a hire booked for next weekend to try before we buy. We have a 2010 T5 Kombi (no customisation) I briefly looked into conversions, but I just couldn't get the sums to be appealing enough; rather than spend more for a secondhand factory Cali - especially the sliding rear bench and overall finish, and hopefully better long term depreciation.

Back