Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra seating for T4

DCP

DCP

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I'm aware that an extra double seat was available for Calfornia models. My T4 is 1994 LHD.

Can anyone help me source extra seats?

Cheers.

D

Hey there. You're right. Westfalia made an extra row of seats with built in seatbelts that slot into the bed rails. I have a set and they are quite a cumbersome beast. Luckily the previous owner of our Westy had managed to source them. If I remember he paid around £600 for them. Your best bet is probably to keep an eye on eBay.de. They are incredibly rare on the UK site. There are lots of other extra rows of VW seats you can buy but none that use the rail system installed by Westfalia.

mrcheesebrough thanks for the info.

I managed to find an old thread where someone else asked the same question. A gent in Deutschland called Holgar had a few. I contacted him on the off chance and he reckons he has one. I'm waiting for more info. Fingers crossed.

My fingers are crossed for you. Sadly ours doesn't have the same trim as the main camper. It does its job though.

If you do manage to get one it's worth investing in a decent plastic bag of some sort to wrap it in once you've removed it to camp.

mrcheesebrough same here. Better if it matches but isn't a problem. What pattern do you have for main seats and extras?

This guy has a cactus pattern seat. Not sure what our existing pattern is called.

Our camper is a Generation, so has light grey seats with a light turquoise panel up the centre. I wouldn't know what the extra seat's upholstery is called. It's quite understated - as you'd expect from the Germans. Mind you Cactus is but of an eyeful. You'd know if you had that as your interior. Check this site out - http://www.westfaliat4.info/html/vw_westfalia_t4_transporter_mo.html. It's incredibly useful and may help you identify your upholstery.

How have I not seen this site before?
Great info.

He has come back to me with pictures and a price. It all looks good. Too good? Now I've got to find the original post and try to look at whether he's legit

I'm sure it will be fine but you never know

It's always a worry if they're based out of the country. I guess you could ask him to do a Buy It Now on eBay then if anything goes wrong you'll have the backing of their resolutions team and PayPal.

Hi, Did you find yourself one of these extra benches? I have one I'm selling otherwise (came with the van, but we've no need for it)...
Image attached...
I am in Belgium, but could work something out if you're interested?
Cheers,
Matt

20160206_120940.jpg

Hi bxl_lad, any chance you've still got the extra bench seat you mentioned above? New son means I need more seating.. Cheers.

Hi bxl_lad, any chance you've still got the extra bench seat you mentioned above? New son means I need more seating.. Cheers.

Hi, Sorry no, I managed to sell it... If you're prepared to travel for one (Roadtrip!) then you will for sure find them in Holland and/or Germany, for example:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...westfalia-ausbau-gebraucht/479297775-223-6798
Will say this though... Although you will gain the extra seating, not sure how practical when actually camping, you'd have to remove it during the night and leave it outside - not the end of the world, but will require some additional messing around... You could have a cover made for it so it doesn't get wet and you'd have some really comfy outdoor seating ;) ...every cloud...!
Happy hunting!

Thanks for your help. I haven't used the ebay classified before, I have been looking at German Ebay but only found one which he wouldn't let me get picked up. Have you had any dealings with Ebay classified before, can I use Paypal? Want a bit of protection ideally. Cheers, Richard.

Thanks for your help. I haven't used the ebay classified before, I have been looking at German Ebay but only found one which he wouldn't let me get picked up. Have you had any dealings with Ebay classified before, can I use Paypal? Want a bit of protection ideally. Cheers, Richard.

I bought my wheels through there ;) and was a fine experience... Luckily the folks I contacted spoke English, so its worth a try (if you can speak German or know someone who can, then all the better!)... It all comes down to trust (on both sides), but if you pay by Paypal (which I did), then they're in the driving seat - but yes, with Paypal you have some protection...

I think Generally, German folks like to work to the book, so you should be fine (plus Cali folks tend to be decent types in my opinion...)

There seem to be quite a few on that site if you go looking (Generally I just type 'VW T4 California' into the search and search all categories, that way you find everything related and don't fall foul of spelling or translation varients) - you just have to scroll through more that's all - Be careful though, you might end up buying a new van! There's so many to choose from in Germany... :Nailbiting

Of course its something you'd have to go to collect (I can imagine a bench costing a pretty penny to ship!), but smaller items can always be shipped... But a roadtrip with the van in summer to Germany is well worth the trip... Some great campsites and open air pools for the kids ;)

Good luck!
(ps. I'm not on commission!:D)

If you only require 1 extra seat have you considered changing the front passenger seat for a turntable double seat. This could also double as a bed while your new son is young.

If you only require 1 extra seat have you considered changing the front passenger seat for a turntable double seat. This could also double as a bed while your new son is young.

Must admit, I wondered if this was an option... Has anyone done it? Is it possible to get a front double passenger seat in matching upholstery ('step by step' for example)? Would be interesting to know...

Hi Richard, I have an extra double bench seat for my 1992 Cali which is surplus to requirements. It is the older design but is complete with the fixing bolts to hold it in place.

I am packing the van at the moment as I am off to Le Mans in the morning for the 24 hour race and then another week touring around France. If you can wait or don't get sorted in the meantime let me know.

Cheers Stuart

Hi Stuart, mine is a '92 Cali so would match I guess, how do you PM on this website? Definitely interested and can wait, there are 4 of us now (new son) and need to also ferry the grandparents around with us when they come over. That won't be for a few weeks so all good. Cheers.

We're also looking for the extra seat bench for our 1995 T4 Cali.
Stuart, are you still selling yours?
And DCP, any report back about buying from Holger in Germany?
Thanks
Ed

Hi, Did you find yourself one of these extra benches? I have one I'm selling otherwise (came with the van, but we've no need for it)...
Image attached...
I am in Belgium, but could work something out if you're interested?
Cheers,
Matt

View attachment 11974
How do these seats fit into the exclusive? Is the space the same in the middle or does the seat sit further forward? I've found one possibly but it looks quite tight.

Sorry buddy, couldn't tell you if one of these would fit an Exclusive? It was tight in the pop-top layout...
Sold mine in the end...

Sorry buddy, couldn't tell you if one of these would fit an Exclusive? It was tight in the pop-top layout...
Sold mine in the end...
Hey there @bxl_lad. It's been a while since this thread was active but I'm wondering what kind of money you got for your extra row of seats? They're a pretty rare item from what I can tell - recent searches of eBay yielded zero results.

Hi, I got 600€ for it, could have held out for more, but its a big item and I wanted it out the way...

The German site in my previous post's always has some on there and also you could try the Dutch site Markplaats.nl, for example this guy seems to have loads!
https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/carava...651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr&pos=8 - though his prices range between 750 to 1000€ depending the state and upholstery. He's 1.5-2hrs drive east of Amsterdam.
The German site will yield the best bargains, but Germany is a big place and so you'll maybe have a much longer trip...
I guess they will be few and far between in the UK, but get yourself one over here and make a weekend of it...

I will say though, these things a big and bulky, if you travel with one and hope to camp too then you'll need to leave it outside as soon as you park up (or even want to get into the cupboards!). One person could remove it on their own if they're strong, but in reality its a two person job... So its a godsend if you need more than four seats, but at the same time will be a pain in the ass for a trip where you're making frequent stops or need access to the cupboards. That said if you stick outside under the awning you'll have a very comfy bench that will be envy of those in their folding chairs... ;):D

Back