Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

extreme beginners questions

johnv

johnv

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I will be buying one soon .. , have some very basic questions to help me in my search

aircon - is there a huge advantage with the climatronic over standard? how does it manifest itself if so?

there appear to be 2 optional heaters, 'auxiliary' and 'parking' .. how do these operate etc?

when the roof is up and you don't want to use the top bed, can you get the extra headroom or is it always there?

thanks!

Climatic mainly means you set the temperature and it will keep that temperature, whereas "normal" aircon you are controlling the temperature of the air it is producing, not the temperature of the vehicle.

I believe auxiliary heater means the one that is diesel powered for when you are camping, and the parking heater means that you can use residual engine heat (for as long as it is there) when you park up.

Yes the bed goes up into the roof space to give you some headroom - most people I have introduced to the Cali are more amazed that there is a bed "up there" than the fact that it is headroom

johnv said:
I will be buying one soon .. , have some very basic questions to help me in my search

aircon - is there a huge advantage with the climatronic over standard? how does it manifest itself if so?

there appear to be 2 optional heaters, 'auxiliary' and 'parking' .. how do these operate etc?

when the roof is up and you don't want to use the top bed, can you get the extra headroom or is it always there?

thanks!

Auxiliary Heater is engine pre heater - so in cold conditions the engine comes up to temp quicker.

Parking Heater is a heater that heats the van
irrespective of whether the engine is running or not. As it says, it's there when you are camping or parked up.

I thought both were standard on the full Cali but that's what they are.

There are two heating options, Climatic which is described as a sort of semi climate control unit and Climtronic.

I would say, yes, Climtromic is worth it. It's a three zone system, and allows temperatures to be set in the front and back. You also use residual heat when the engine is not running, this lasts for about 30 mins.

You also get extra vents at the rear and a control panel.

If I was buying secondhand I would expect to see it, and as option new, It would be first on my list or high up :).

You could survive without it but I think for resale alone you should consider it.

Hope this helps.

James

Climatronic - I love it for the residual heat feature alone - the 3 zones are just a nice gadget. I actually prefer old skool air con as it is infinitely variable, whereas climatronic is full degrees, but the residual heat feature is ace - it keeps the van toast while you are setting up.

As said if you are looking at the SE then you get both heaters - you don't really need the engine heater in the UK, but the parking heater is a must have. So if you are looking at a beach then that would be a go option.

The ceiling is pushed up all day in our van, we just pull it down when the kids go to bed :)

T

We have standard aircon with no climatic have not had it so do not miss not having. L do not feel my life is less full for not having it but there is a lot of people who say it is a must have. :cool

Having had cars with and without climatronic I see no need for it.
Without checking, I'm sure you can divert some heat to the rear on the standard spec.

I have a 2013 SE and whilst the brochure states 'Parking Heater' is standard fit there is no mention in the manuals. If it's some game that you have to play to find it I would appreciate somebody pointing me in the right direction. Your starter for 10.

yes its in my July 2013 brochure and fitted to my 2014 van.
It is operated in the control panel in the roof above the dash.
same place you turn the fridge on and off.

It should be mentioned in the California Supplement that comes with the handbook.

The 'auxiliary heater' is on the control panel but no mention of a 'parking heater'.
The Cali supplement only mentions the 'auxiliary heater' which I have on the control panel.
I'm fairly confident that I don't have one and my hand-over was very thorough; thank you Guy of Preston.
I think brochure speak with forked tongue.

In my supplement it is mainly referred to as a supplementary heater, with auxiliary heater (same as supplementary ) referred to in the index.
Who translated this?

Anyway, I push the buttons and it works.

18hunts said:
The 'auxiliary heater' is on the control panel but no mention of a 'parking heater'.
The Cali supplement only mentions the 'auxiliary heater' which I have on the control panel.
I'm fairly confident that I don't have one and my hand-over was very thorough; thank you Guy of Preston.
I think brochure speak with forked tongue.

Aux Heater is engine pre warm up - Parking Heating the one on your control panel.

It's down to poor translation and terminology

James

There is no control for the engine/aux heater it just comes on when you start the engine and it is really cold. You can rig up a remote control for it if you want the engine to be warm when you get in, but in the uk no real need. The parking heater is the one you can control from the top control panel and keeps you warm at night when the engine is off.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Try this - will explain it easier

ScreenShot2014-01-14at202649_zpsb065c196.png

If you look at the side of your door on the pillar - you will see a heater sticker - I have none because I don't have a parking heater or a coolant heater

Lots of people call their parking heater the auxiliary heater - that's not wrong, just not how VW describe them - so it can be confusing.

According to the brochure - the full Cali has as standard - a parking heater but if you want a coolant heater that will be more money to Mr VW.

James

In my manuals and on my control panel the only mention of heater is 'auxiliary'.
The only heater that was mentioned during hand over was 'auxiliary'.
No where is there any mention of a 'parking heater' other than the brochure, so where does this 'parking heater' come from.
Somebody did mention that the 'parking heater' used residual heat from the engine for a short period of time; was this something that used to be an option but is no longer available and has now been lost in translation?
Was the 'parking heater' replaced with the 'auxiliary heater' fuelled by diesel to give a better longer term of heating option?

18hunts said:
In my manuals and on my control panel the only mention of heater is 'auxiliary'.
No where is there any mention of a 'parking heater' other than the brochure, so where does this 'parking heater' come from.
Somebody did mention that the 'parking heater' used residual heat from the engine for a short period of time; was this something that used to be an option but is no longer available and has now been lost in translation?
Was the 'parking heater' replaced with the 'auxiliary heater' fuelled by diesel to give a better longer term of heating option?

It's down to translation - if you want call the heater on your control panel as an auxiliary heater and the engine heater as a coolant heater.

Parking Heater is just a term.

I've included the heating options - 2 above the standard van heater with remote or without.

James

Sorry James but 'parking heater' by definition means you heat when you are parked not cooling the engine which you do when you are running the engine.
It would appear that VW have changed the name to 'auxiliary' which is what it says in my manuals and the control panel.
It's confused by the fact that somebody, and I can't be bothered to back track to see who (I'm off to the Charante Maritime tomorrow, Portsmouth/Le Havre) said about using the 'parking heater' which uses residual engine heat in the coolant for a short period after you have switched the engine off until such time as there was no heat left in the coolant. But to do this you would have to be circulating coolant around the engine to remove the heat from said engine. How? Did this ever exist or was this a figment of somebodies imagination?
Where's the cork screw?

18hunts said:
Sorry James but 'parking heater' by definition means you heat when you are parked not cooling the engine which you do when you are running the engine.
It would appear that VW have changed the name to 'auxiliary' which is what it says in my manuals and the control panel.
It's confused by the fact that somebody, and I can't be bothered to back track to see who (I'm off to the Charante Maritime tomorrow, Portsmouth/Le Havre) said about using the 'parking heater' which uses residual engine heat in the coolant for a short period after you have switched the engine off until such time as there was no heat left in the coolant. But to do this you would have to be circulating coolant around the engine to remove the heat from said engine. How? Did this ever exist or was this a figment of somebodies imagination?
Where's the cork screw?

I've posted the Brochure - I can't simplify it any more than that.

2 Heaters... One a Parking Heater - this heats the van whether the engine is running or not, sometimes called the auxiliary heater. This is standard on the Cali - option on the Beach. This works from the control panel.

The pre heater is there to bring the engine up to temp - VW list it as an option for all vehicles. The confusion comes about because it is a literal translation from the German Brochure so it is cool the auxiliary heater.

The residual Heat comes with the Climtronic system which is the standard van heater, you press a button and you get heated for a short period after the van has been running and the engine is turned off.

James

I like the remote control of the auxiliary heater - defrosts the windscreen and instant hot air when you drive off. Certainly not essential but puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

I've got climatronic aircon. It's good but I wouldn't loose any sleep about not having it if you don't. I still end up adjusting the temp up/down and changing vent options manually from time to time.

Just my 2p.

18hunts said:

Yeah all these heaters are confusing aren't they?
I've always called my parking heater the auxiliary heater i'm sure that's what it's referred to in my 2009 manual.
The engine coolant heater was never mentioned to me during the buying process nor do I remember reading about it in the brochure at the time but it definitely has one.
Pressing the "rest" button on the climatronic gives you 30 mins of heat once the engine is turned off as mentioned by others earlier in the thread. Took me 2 years to work that one out!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Freeley said:
18hunts said:

Yeah all these heaters are confusing aren't they?
I've always called my parking heater the auxiliary heater i'm sure that's what it's referred to in my 2009 manual.
The engine coolant heater was never mentioned to me during the buying process nor do I remember reading about it in the brochure at the time but it definitely has one.
Pressing the "rest" button on the climatronic gives you 30 mins of heat once the engine is turned off as mentioned by others earlier in the thread. Took me 2 years to work that one out!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It's taken me about that long as well.

All very confusing - it's the translation of the brochure, I don't think I have a coolant heater but I am still sceptical about it, because the brochure has changed.

James

would a 2012 Berghaus version have this parking heater as standard? (not bothered about the one that preheats the engine) thanks

Yes it would have it as standard :thumb