Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory Order Lead Times

Justinitus1972

Justinitus1972

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Morning all

Just thought I’d post this for anyone in the process of ordering a new Cali. We ordered last Thursday, an Ocean with factory towbar, comfort sleeping mat and a few other options. Already have our build date confirmed by the factory of week 20 (15th May) with collection from the dealer approx mid July. Which is fantastic!

So anyone ordering, the builds are being confirmed quickly but from that point no spec changes can be made.

I actually yesterday watched a Cali Chris video on YouTube where he suggested that some new Cali models were available not only with a further £1000-£1500 off, but available for delivery within 2-3 months!!

To say that I was surprised to hear this is an understatement!

Yes, our dealer Breeze mentioned that VW are prioritising Cali orders at the moment but even he was surprised at the speed of ours! I guess it depends on what options you pick - we didn‘t add much as the Ocean had pretty much our perfect spec anyway. The extra discounts are from VW as part of the Happy Camper event - £1000 on California Ocean plus 3- free services and 1yrs insurance.

You're doing better than me! Ordered a month ago, standard Ocean and it hasn't even got a confirmed build week yet, it's provisionally end of May/early June but that's it.

Yes, our dealer Breeze mentioned that VW are prioritising Cali orders at the moment but even he was surprised at the speed of ours! I guess it depends on what options you pick - we didn‘t add much as the Ocean had pretty much our perfect spec anyway. The extra discounts are from VW as part of the Happy Camper event - £1000 on California Ocean plus 3- free services and 1yrs insurance.
Mirrors my experience with Breeze :)

Just a heads up, their pre-sales is great, post sales err... not so much sadly.

Mirrors my experience with Breeze :)

Just a heads up, their pre-sales is great, post sales err... not so much sadly.
Hi

I’ve tried calling you apologies I wasn’t aware of any issues, could you give me a call back when you’re free?

Morning all

Just thought I’d post this for anyone in the process of ordering a new Cali. We ordered last Thursday, an Ocean with factory towbar, comfort sleeping mat and a few other options. Already have our build date confirmed by the factory of week 20 (15th May) with collection from the dealer approx mid July. Which is fantastic!

So anyone ordering, the builds are being confirmed quickly but from that point no spec changes can be made.
I ordered through DTD 28th March. No build date available yet.

All them employees that build the transporter vans only have Calis to build so can imagine lead times being super quick.
Or they’re laid off loads.

All them employees that build the transporter vans only have Calis to build so can imagine lead times being super quick.
Or they’re laid off loads.
The shells are converted into Cali's at a separate factory in Hannover. Its still takes about a year to get one on the Continent. The UK is getting some special treatment and vehicles destined for that market are getting prioritised.

I've been mulling this over; does the dealer have any bearing on the lead time (e.g. if a dealer went beserk and placed loads of orders, are some of theirs slowed down to allow dealers with smaller order books to "get ahead in the queue), or is it literally just a case of "wait in line" (taking aside any options/engine choices etc.. which might have an effect)?

I've been mulling this over; does the dealer have any bearing on the lead time (e.g. if a dealer went beserk and placed loads of orders, are some of theirs slowed down to allow dealers with smaller order books to "get ahead in the queue), or is it literally just a case of "wait in line" (taking aside any options/engine choices etc.. which might have an effect)?
All I know is UK orders get the red carpet treatment.

I think some of the larger dealers place orders themselves with their preferred spec, & change the options if a customer comes along before it gets to the point where an order cannot be changed.

All I know is UK orders get the red carpet treatment.
Maybe not so much UK v Europe as RHD v LHD.
Maybe RHD order book will close sooner than LHD.

Maybe not so much UK v Europe as RHD v LHD.
Maybe RHD order book will close sooner than LHD.
Its been like that for the past 2.5 years since I ordered my Cali. The absolute wait times have changed in step depending on the vagaries of the supply chain. Orders to the Uk always seemed to be at least 6-9 months faster.

You're doing better than me! Ordered a month ago, standard Ocean and it hasn't even got a confirmed build week yet, it's provisionally end of May/early June but that's it.
Ordered November 2022 delivery end May, but still no confirmation . When do you normally get the confirmation? One month before delivery?

Verstuurd met Tapatalk

Not really. Based on previous years performance dealer get an allocation for stock orders. They order based on that - no more. A dealer can't go nuts and just order 100 vehicles. VW UK would either block it or ask for a pretty good reason.

As @andyinluton says, they order a baseline spec etc and modify as they go along. It's a balancing game for other vehicles, as get it wrong and you'll end up with new stock you can't shift on the forecourt. Not a Cali issue.

Same with convertors. Loads we met at the show last year had just ordered base allocation T6.1 transporters.

Last edited:
In response to this what happens is that Volkswagen give the UK an allocation for the year of what can be ordered for California. Dealers don’t have their own allocation, California is done on a first come first serve basis depending on specification and options.

Dealers get given a certain amount of stock orders to place a year and you have to have two on order as a demonstrator that you can’t sell.

Hope that makes sense.

We ordered our new 204 4Motion back in November 2022, hoping for a delivery anytime now.
This seemed very possible at that time, as six months was the general delivery delay.
Not heard a word from the dealer, so phone yesterday expecting to hear, Oh, I was going to phone you, it's on it's way from the docks.
No, apparently it now has a build date week 51 against it. That's December! I was told not to worry, they have to put something down. What does that mean? Perhaps they didn't want to put down, we've run out off 204 engines or diff locks, and don't intend ordering anymore, so we've kicked your order into the long grass.

We ordered our new 204 4Motion back in November 2022, hoping for a delivery anytime now.
This seemed very possible at that time, as six months was the general delivery delay.
Not heard a word from the dealer, so phone yesterday expecting to hear, Oh, I was going to phone you, it's on it's way from the docks.
No, apparently it now has a build date week 51 against it. That's December! I was told not to worry, they have to put something down. What does that mean? Perhaps they didn't want to put down, we've run out off 204 engines or diff locks, and don't intend ordering anymore, so we've kicked your order into the long grass.
A friend ordered a virtually identical 4m 204 Kombi about 6 weeks after me in Sept 21. I’ve had mine 6months and he’s still not got a confirmed build week yet. It’s just a lottery!

@Tomdbreeze

Is there anyway of delaying an order?

Ideally, I wouldn’t want it till next year!

Is the lead-in for 2-tone longer?

I ordered a Grand California from Breeze in early March on the basis they had build slots available to them in April. Haven‘t heard anything since then.

@Tomdbreeze

Is there anyway of delaying an order?

Ideally, I wouldn’t want it till next year!

Is the lead-in for 2-tone longer?
Its a difficult one to be honest, we can request it for it to be built later but we cant always guarantee that they will keep to that. the lead time for two tone is longer admittedly i think you would be looking until next year maybe January/February for delivery.

I ordered a Grand California from Breeze in early March on the basis they had build slots available to them in April. Haven‘t heard anything since then.
Hi Mr Murray i have just checked your order in the system, apologies you haven't had an update but i can confirm its currently status 10 build week 21, which is the last week of may to go into build.