Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory Order Lead Times

What have VW said to anyone about how long you’ve got to fit the tracking device? If it’s correct that you can’t have the 5 day drive away insurance and then get the free insurance then they must give the Customer a reasonable amount of time following delivery to get one fitted (treating the customer fairly). It’s unreasonable to suggest the vehicle isn’t covered for theft until one is fitted.
They told me on the phone it was either the 5 day or the 12mths free insurance, but cant have both. I didn’t ask how long you get to get one fitted after delivery. Give them a call to clarify, 0330 3036931

They told me on the phone it was either the 5 day or the 12mths free insurance, but cant have both. I didn’t ask how long you get to get one fitted after delivery. Give them a call to clarify, 0330 3036931
Thanks for the info. I’m a way out from getting delivery and I’ve got a few things to clarify (I ordered before the Happy Camper event but the order went in to VW from the dealer on 21st March so should benefit from the offer) and I’ll do this once I have a confirmed build date.

I've been told you have to arrange to have it fitted from day one, .i.e. before picking up from dealers.

Check very carefully that the 1 Yr VW insurance covers the California, not just as a vehicle, but for Camping activities. Don't presume that VW and the Insurance company understand this. Dedicated Campervan/ Motorhome policies do this and some offer New for Old and extended cover for awnings etc.

Check very carefully that the 1 Yr VW insurance covers the California, not just as a vehicle, but for Camping activities. Don't presume that VW and the Insurance company understand this. Dedicated Campervan/ Motorhome policies do this and some offer New for Old and extended cover for awnings etc.
This is a good point. The t&c’s link to the standard “Volkswagen Car Insurance Policy Wording”.

Ordered my Ocean through EuroVans Crawley via DtD 21st March. No build date as yet. Was quoted six months but they did say they’re coming through quicker than that atm. Hoping for July/August really.

I hope the flood of orders through EuroVans doesn't result in some sort of issue with the factory allocating build slots to them. Noticed that a later order through Breeze seemed to reach Status 20 quickly, whereas mine is still at status 10 despite ordering over a month ago.

I hope the flood of orders through EuroVans doesn't result in some sort of issue with the factory allocating build slots to them. Noticed that a later order through Breeze seemed to reach Status 20 quickly, whereas mine is still at status 10 despite ordering over a month ago.
I ordered via Breeze at the end of January. Got a confirmed build status 20 of 17 April and received the automated email from VW inviting me to download WeConnect 2 days ago. So, I assume that my Ocean has been built successfully (I hope it has the rear view camera) and is now on the way to the port. Going smoothly so far and a few weeks quicker than anticipated in January.

I ordered via Breeze at the end of January. Got a confirmed build status 20 of 17 April and received the automated email from VW inviting me to download WeConnect 2 days ago. So, I assume that my Ocean has been built successfully (I hope it has the rear view camera) and is now on the way to the port. Going smoothly so far and a few weeks quicker than anticipated in January.
Is there any reason to think it won’t have the rear view camera? It’s standard equipment on the Ocean. Have there been issues with this? Cheers.

Is there any reason to think it won’t have the rear view camera? It’s standard equipment on the Ocean. Have there been issues with this? Cheers.
Just what I have picked up from this forum about supply chain issues with some items, the rear view camera being one of these.

Just what I have picked up from this forum about supply chain issues with some items, the rear view camera being one of these.
If it’s in the spec it’s in the spec; I find it hard to believe the vehicle would show up with bits missing! More likely if they struggle to source parts there’s a delay

If it’s in the spec it’s in the spec; I find it hard to believe the vehicle would show up with bits missing! More likely if they struggle to source parts there’s a delay
Yeah, you are probably right, just me being paranoid as I do love the rearview camera.

Interestingly, the DtD quote for an Ocean has gone up by over £1,000 since I placed an order a month ago. AutoEBid has remained pretty much the same. Not sure why bearing in mind the Happy Camper deal. Reached monthly quota?

Last edited:
Interestingly, the DtD quote for an Ocean has gone up by over £1,000 since I placed an order a month ago. AutoEBid has remained pretty much the same. Not sure why bearing in mind the Happy Camper deal. Reached monthly quota?
Surely if had reached the quota it'd be come unavailable completely?

DtD removed the £1000 reduction yesterday after confusion around the happy camper end date, but check again today and you will see the price reduction.

DtD removed the £1000 reduction yesterday after confusion around the happy camper end date, but check again today and you will see the price reduction.
So a couple of hundred more than before the Happy Camper promotion!

Does anyone know when VW tend to increase list prices? I was told when I ordered that the prices are NOT protected on the Cali (groan) but I was also fairly hopeful of a fast delivery so with any luck would escape it. I'm not sure the suggestion the Cali production is drawing to a close might mean no more list price increases too? We live in hope . . .

Does anyone know when VW tend to increase list prices? I was told when I ordered that the prices are NOT protected on the Cali (groan) but I was also fairly hopeful of a fast delivery so with any luck would escape it. I'm not sure the suggestion the Cali production is drawing to a close might mean no more list price increases too? We live in hope . . .
Given we are still more than a year out from the last of the T6.1's rolling off the production line I think it fairly certain there will be at least another price 'adjustment'.

I believe April & September. We had three increases during our wait time but the original price was honoured. TBH I’ve not seen anyone on here complain it was not honoured so VW tend(ed) to be good for those in the pipeline.

Last edited:
How do you check your status, is it just phoning them?

Given we are still more than a year out from the last of the T6.1's rolling off the production line I think it fairly certain there will be at least another price 'adjustment'.
It would seem a bit harsh to me if they ran the Happy Camper promotion, took a load of orders and then increased the price straight afterwards.

It would seem a bit harsh to me if they ran the Happy Camper promotion, took a load of orders and then increased the price straight afterwards.
That would be true. I was referring to new orders going forward, rather than existing ones already in the system and accepted by the Factory.

How do you check your status, is it just phoning them?
Yeah, but I get the impression they dislike it - I got told the position immediately by a firm “but we’ll definitely call you when it gets to status 20”. I read that as “don’t phone us”.

Yeah, but I get the impression they dislike it - I got told the position immediately by a firm “but we’ll definitely call you when it gets to status 20”. I read that as “don’t phone us”.
I made a point of just asking once a month (by email) just to check all ok (war, shortages etc when we were waiting) up until 2 months before the delivery date and then fortnightly after that as dates can slip forward and back. Dealers are deluged with people ringing non stop, I can sympathise. Dealers that sell a lot would not have time to do anything else. 9/10 the answer is “nothing has changed” until about 4 - 6 weeks before the delivery date. Ringing every other day does not change that. They are right - 20 is parts ordered and build scheduled (10 is parts on order, depending on your spec could take some time). It’s 20 when the build is locked and in reality the only time from the 9/10 that they will have something concrete to tell you.

There used to be a mega thread on ordering that would have answered all the questions in this thread much quicker, but it seems to have been archived - it was quite long!

Last edited:
I do realise that, which is why I've only rang once (about 5 weeks after ordering); I'd be happy to keep radio silence if it wasn't for the anecdotal evidence that comms from dealerships are somewhat sporadic.

This would all be easily solved if VW would simply provide an online tracker for their commercial vehicles. The data is there, they just need to make it accessible for the purchaser - I really don't understand why they don't.