Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory Order Lead Times

Yeah I was a few days ahead of you but the same. :-(
I asked today and got this response: “There is no update on your new vehicle as yet but as stated with drive the deal it would be approximately BETWEEN 3-6 months, I will have no news until vehicle reaches status 20 then it will be approximately 6 weeks from dealership.”

We just ordered ours today using the Happy Camper Event. Happy with the deal £1000 as part of Happy Camper, £1000 Finance contrib, plus discount makes it cheaper than some 2nd hand vans - plus if the rumours of fast build times are true then winner!

Plus you get 3 services, MOT and 1 years insurance.

(Just a note that the 1 years insurance requires a tracker to be installed - so will have to look into if the price of a tracker is less than the insurance!)

Looking forward to getting back into a Cali!!!

Hi Mr Murray i have just checked your order in the system, apologies you haven't had an update but i can confirm its currently status 10 build week 21, which is the last week of may to go into build.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply but, to be honest, I’m a bit disappointed in the above.
We were sent this when we enquired, 6th March, and ordered on that basis:-

“However, I do have some great news, we do currently have a very good lead time for Grand California and have built slots available for next month. Therefore, we would be looking at a handover in late May”

Does this mean that we will miss out on the free insurance offer as vehicle won’t be delivered until sometime in July at the earliest? Also, what order date is applicable to the offers that are available? Is it the order date with yourselves, 9th March? Or is it the date that VW confirmed the order, 7th April?

People complaining that they ordered in March and they haven't taken delivery yet is vaguely hilarious to those of us that waited 12 months less than a year ago. Sheesh.

People complaining that they ordered in March and they haven't taken delivery yet is vaguely hilarious to those of us that waited 12 months less than a year ago. Sheesh.
I know, right. Some of us waited over 2 years. How the times have changed

Why? Different times now.

Why? Different times now.
This is the key thing really; when you hear anecdotes of delivery in 3 months or less it sets an expectation. I guess all of us want our vehicles as fast as possible ultimately!

Ordered my Ocean through EuroVans Crawley via DtD 21st March. No build date as yet. Was quoted six months but they did say they’re coming through quicker than that atm. Hoping for July/August really.

I originally called dtd on 6th March but delivery on Grand California was being quoted as November-December which was too long for me as wanted something for the summer. Contacted Breeze on the off chance of them having anything in stock or on the way as they had said on here they had three Oceans coming into stock. That’s when I was told about April build slots being available with delivery late May.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but, to be honest, I’m a bit disappointed in the above.
We were sent this when we enquired, 6th March, and ordered on that basis:-

“However, I do have some great news, we do currently have a very good lead time for Grand California and have built slots available for next month. Therefore, we would be looking at a handover in late May”

Does this mean that we will miss out on the free insurance offer as vehicle won’t be delivered until sometime in July at the earliest? Also, what order date is applicable to the offers that are available? Is it the order date with yourselves, 9th March? Or is it the date that VW confirmed the order, 7th April?
Hi Mr Murray

I can confirm you will not miss out on the on the offers, as the FOC insurance is governed by the dates below. The offers that have run from March are running on order date not accepted date by the factory. The factory accepted date will always be later than the order date.

One year’s free Volkswagen car insurance is available on the new Caddy California, California and Grand California for drivers aged 25 to 75 years. Vehicle must be ordered by 30 April 2023 and collected by 31 December 2023. Excesses, limits on convictions/claims apply. Minimum two years no claim discount. A two-year-plus full driving licence needed for all drivers. Offer not available in Channel Islands and Isle of Man, or in conjunction with complimentary five-day Drive Away insurance. Go to www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/california for full terms and conditions. Underwritten by UK Insurance Limited.

Hope the above helps.

I originally called dtd on 6th March but delivery on Grand California was being quoted as November-December which was too long for me as wanted something for the summer. Contacted Breeze on the off chance of them having anything in stock or on the way as they had said on here they had three Oceans coming into stock. That’s when I was told about April build slots being available with delivery late May.
At the time of your order Mr Murray, the current information that we have from Volkswagen is that it would go into build in April, the delay in that has been where it has took sometime for Volkswagen to accept the order into the factory. With build month of end of May i would like to hope it would arrive by the end of June/beginning of July.

At the time of your order Mr Murray, the current information that we have from Volkswagen is that it would go into build in April, the delay in that has been where it has took sometime for Volkswagen to accept the order into the factory. With build month of end of May i would like to hope it would arrive by the end of June/beginning of July.
Thanks for that Tom. Originally if ordered prior to the 30th April delivery had to be by end of June for the free insurance, I’m assuming that has now changed. Also, just had video from yourselves saying likely delivery end of July/August.

We just ordered ours today using the Happy Camper Event. Happy with the deal £1000 as part of Happy Camper, £1000 Finance contrib, plus discount makes it cheaper than some 2nd hand vans - plus if the rumours of fast build times are true then winner!

Plus you get 3 services, MOT and 1 years insurance.

(Just a note that the 1 years insurance requires a tracker to be installed - so will have to look into if the price of a tracker is less than the insurance!)

Looking forward to getting back into a Cali!!!
I noticed that the Insurance required “an additional security device” but I haven’t found anywhere where the specific device required is detailed. Where did you find out that is a tracker and is there any additional information (e.g. Thatcham category). Cheers.

I noticed that the Insurance required “an additional security device” but I haven’t found anywhere where the specific device required is detailed. Where did you find out that is a tracker and is there any additional information (e.g. Thatcham category). Cheers.
Yes, it’s a Thatcham approved Cat 5S tracker they require, about £300+ plus annual or monthly subscription.

The salesman mentioned it while placing the order. I have to get it fitted, so he recommended the 5 day drive-away insurance, then get tracker fitted, then get free insurance setup...

Yes, it’s a Thatcham approved Cat 5S tracker they require, about £300+ plus annual or monthly subscription.
Thanks for that. Did you read that somewhere or told verbally? I’ve been through the policy wording and found nothing.

Which one did you get? Did you have to send proof of professional fitting to VW? Cheers Tony

There was talk of the tracker on Facebook, but only if the value is over £75k, I set my value at £75k and didn’t need a tracker for the free insurance

Last edited:
The salesman mentioned it while placing the order. I have to get it fitted, so he recommended the 5 day drive-away insurance, then get tracker fitted, then get free insurance setup...
If you take the 5 day insurance, you can’t then get the years free insurance. It’s one or the other.

Thanks for that. Did you read that somewhere or told verbally? I’ve been through the policy wording and found nothing.
I rang them, the lady said all model Californias require one to be fitted to qualify for the free insurance offer, so I guess that means Caddys too.

Which one did you get? Did you have to send proof of professional fitting to VW? Cheers Tony
I haven’t decided yet, but if we do I’ll try and get it fitted at the dealers premises before delivery. The cost of the fitted tracker at £350 is about the same as our annual insurance premium anyway, then plus the subscription costs of £170ish a year.

I had to have one fitted to a BMW years ago and it kept going wrong, so it kind of puts me off having another one!

looks like they recently updated the T&Cs, the original offer that required collection by the end of June didn't require a tracker (i just double checked my paperwork and no one mentioned it on the phone), i see that its now specifically called out regardless of value, so looks like i got lucky there :D

If anyone finds a good deal on a tracker that meets whatever the requirements are for the free insurance then please share, don’t really know what I’m looking for.

If you take the 5 day insurance, you can’t then get the years free insurance. It’s one or the other.
What have VW said to anyone about how long you’ve got to fit the tracking device? If it’s correct that you can’t have the 5 day drive away insurance and then get the free insurance then they must give the Customer a reasonable amount of time following delivery to get one fitted (treating the customer fairly). It’s unreasonable to suggest the vehicle isn’t covered for theft until one is fitted.