Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levelling Ramps

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I bought a set of Thule levellers and used them for the first time last week. However I found a problem in that once you get the van set up you then have to release the handbrake to rotate the driver's seat and the van rolls back down the ramps. Thus its no longer level. Now I know I could compensate for this by going higher up the ramps to start with and letting it roll back to level with the handbrake off with the engine lock preventing going right down the ramps. But I am not happy that my van is effectively putting load on the parking lock all the time we are parked up with the handbrake actually not doing much.
Any one have any advice? Like do you carry chocs for the other two wheels to stop the van rolling back with the handbrake off.

On any normal automatic gearbox the 'park' setting simply engages a heavy-duty pawl that locks the final drive, and that isn't going to be strained significantly or damaged by leaving it applied and under tension. I'd assume a VW DSG box works similarly.

I rotate the drivers seat while sitting in the passenger seat with my foot on the footbrake. You need to be reasonably tall to do this though.

I bought a set of Thule levellers and used them for the first time last week. However I found a problem in that once you get the van set up you then have to release the handbrake to rotate the driver's seat and the van rolls back down the ramps. Thus its no longer level. Now I know I could compensate for this by going higher up the ramps to start with and letting it roll back to level with the handbrake off with the engine lock preventing going right down the ramps. But I am not happy that my van is effectively putting load on the parking lock all the time we are parked up with the handbrake actually not doing much.
Any one have any advice? Like do you carry chocs for the other two wheels to stop the van rolling back with the handbrake off.
You can use chocks, or not bother turning the Drivers Seat, unless of course you need the 4 seats.

p.s. American drivers who have an automatic gearbox, DSG included, rarely use the handbrake using Park instead.
Only in San Francisco, on some of the steep hills, have I seen signs saying “ Handbrake to be engaged “.

I rarely pull up the handbreak ....just put it in P .

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
My Cali is a manual, so it is slightly easier but I can’t understand why they aren’t fitted with a electronic brake as some cars, must be cheaper to manufacture and would get rid of the handbrake lever.

Another one that rarely uses the handbrake.

Just put it in P.

Like others if an auto then P is your friend but if a manual then what Pineweasel said - I'm average height but it's a cinch to stand outside (on one leg!) and stick the other one in the footwell holding the brake while rotating seat/releasing HB or whatever.

Also agree with Colin - crazy that they still don't put an electronic HB on the one vehicle that is crying out for it for various reasons..