Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Farewell............

I

Iain&Shani

VIP Member
Back in 2011 Shani and I were looking to get back into touring via a campervan. We did a lot of looking at options around the £15 -£20 K mark but were never too sure. To try and get some idea from owners we joined the T4/5 forum and read the posts with great interest. When we said that our long term plan was to move up to a larger motorhome and the camper was a stop gap we were pointed towards the Cali and therefore this forum.

We joined here in late '11 and were able to start looking in an altogether different direction but.......40+K for a camper!!! Are you serious??? We had seen many conversions but were really unsure of whether we would be putting money into bottomless pit. We decided to ask a few questions in both the forums and everyone said - Buy a Cali - you won't regret it!

We took a trip to our nearest dealer to get some better idea and were blown away; particularly by the showroom tag of £50K!! Yes it was a fabulous looking vehicle but that was more than what we were thinking with a motorhome.

via here we found out about the other dealers and consequently sourced the exact same vehicle for £43K. It had already been registered so the "big hit" had gone. We took the gamble and have had two years fun out of our Berg.

The serious motorhome search began in September and culminated in a trip to the show at the NEC yesterday. Ostensibly this was to check out three particular models before deciding on what our final preference would be; a Bessacar 582.

Salesman being what they are we were asked if we wanted the '14 model or would an unregistered '13 be of any interest at a lesser cost. Go on says we. He asked if we had anything to p/x. We said we had but planned to sell privately as we knew they were flying off these pages. We gave him the details expecting to laugh off any offer.

Well.........here we are; 4 weeks away from picking up our new motorhome. Back in the early days of this ramble we were told, "they hold their price". Don't they just!! We may have been lucky in choosing a dealer who had a couple of '13s in the style we were after but he offered us pretty much what we paid for the Berg!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank wholeheartedly all the people who put in the time and effort to run and contribute to this forum. Without your dedication we would not be rambling on here. The advice and support offered on all aspects of the California is second to none.

Cheers to you all.

Iain and Shani

Thanks iain good luck in your future endeavours :thumb

Just looked it up on t'internet wow what a van!
I looked at something similar recently but have decided I'm not man enough to drive something that big!
Enjoy it and I'm sure that you'll still be welcome on here.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

i am sure we will follow that route in the not too distant future
enjoy the new van
dave and lisa :D

I just goggled it too, it's one hell of a beast. People might bulk at the £50k price tag but £50k was the RRP of your Berg and there's a whole lot more in the Bessacar 582. :thumb

I hope you really enjoy it and I think it's fair to say you've had good service and return from your Berg.

Yes, sounds like a fair deal! Good luck with the new beasty. I for one would like to hear about your experiences migrating to the new larger van.

I'm glad the Berg served you well and have great fun & adventures in your new wagon :thumb

A shame to see you go; enjoy new adventures in the mega van!

Cheers good people. I'll stick around in here for a bit as a non Cali owning chump. I don't think there will be as much quality in the m/h forums!!

As others have said, sorry to see you go. I'm also considering the same move.
Enjoy your new 'home' & may see you at Linton next year.