Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First nights in a California. -5 degrees then -8

356DNA

356DNA

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Having bought a T5 SE a couple of weeks ago the urge to use it combined with a massive snowfall at Glenshee and so I took the little ones (5&7) and myself up for a few days of skiing. Of course, the camper was excellent and with a roofless calitopper and the aux heater we were toasty for 2 nights. It was -5 the first night and -8 in Braemar.

The children slept upstairs in their 2 season sleeping bags with an extra blanket on top and I slept downstairs under a single throw. I was bordering on being too hot but no complaints from above.

I did wonder if using the Cali topper and one of the thermal screens that go between the bellies and the mechanism might be wise during a Scottish winter. Although I felt that heat distribution could be improved and a dryer hose up into the roof space may equal things out. Anyone tried this?

That aside I was off grid for the 2 nights with the heater on constantly and fridge on too. There was a 60 minute drive between stops to top up batteries. Impressed.

No photos of the VW but Glenshee was impressive

85A37F33-AEA6-4792-A692-8E45A85C34C3.jpeg

I did wonder if using the Cali topper and one of the thermal screens that go between the bellies and the mechanism might be wise during a Scottish winter. Although I felt that heat distribution could be improved and a dryer hose up into the roof space may equal things out. Anyone tried this?
We always found the combination of topper and dryer hose up is quite adequate for winter camping. Redirecting a bit of the heat up with this hose makes it a bit less warm downstairs and a bit more upstairs. Everybody happy. We never needed more than this and our normal duvets (no special winter sleeping bags) neither on top now down and went down to -15 C with it.
We fear that putting a thermal 'shawl' in between bellows and topper is a bit of overkill and might deteriorate ventilation.

Glad you saw some snow up Glenshee! We were there the X-Mas holiday, and it was a sorry sight up there...:

Nice to hear you had fun on the slopes (hope so) and in your new T5!
I often turn off the fridge in winter because it is cold enough - all depending where you are.
Enjoy winter!

Great to see another Californian going topless. I’ve never needed one yet...

I was tempted to drive up Scotland yesterday after seeing some footage online. Looks like they’ve had a great amount of snow the last few days

Back