Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting fly screen

Just arrived in Germany and went to fit fly screens. Not as easy the manual suggests ...... many thanks for this. Really helped us out.

Will these fit the window on the sliding door (drives side)? We have the blinds down at night so can't see the point in the passenger side - no air could get through anyway?

Will these fit the window on the sliding door (drives side)? We have the blinds down at night so can't see the point in the passenger side - no air could get through anyway?
Yes they do for both sides.

This is why I love this site! Just visited the Lake District and Scotland last week and used the window meshes for the first time since I've had the Cali.

IMG_9425.JPG

Great info on how to fit them - thanks to all who posted videos and instructions.

Secondly so many other good tips on all sorts. Packing the fridge and how to best store food to good campsites and places to visit.

I'm never far from solutions and answers on here.

Thanks all. From a midge free interior during the trip. (Still got bit when I was outside the van though!!)

This is why I love this site! Just visited the Lake District and Scotland last week and used the window meshes for the first time since I've had the Cali.

View attachment 22454

Great info on how to fit them - thanks to all who posted videos and instructions.

Secondly so many other good tips on all sorts. Packing the fridge and how to best store food to good campsites and places to visit.

Thanks all. From a midge free interior during the trip. (Still got bit when I was outside the van though!!)
This works for me but may not for you. I use Avon's Skin So Soft liberally sprayed have for many years. After a few minutes they no longer seem to bother.

.me..

This works for me but may not for you. I use Avon's Skin So Soft liberally sprayed have for many years. After a few minutes they no longer seem to bother.

.me..

Thanks TJ. I will be purchasing Avon product next time. I had read how good this was and should have got some

I just bought another version of this screen from Jerba Campervans. Their version uses finer mesh which is midge proof. £49 + p&p

Video of screen fitting

Hi Mike, do you have a link? Just looked on Jerba's website but couldn't find them. Thanks

Very timely thread as I managed to snap the corner of ours while moving our son's stuff from Uni.
I botched a repair with insulating tape but the svreen is surprisingly well made with metal reinforcing on the corners. We really needed them recently as it was so hot we needed the air flow and there were all sorts of insects around that we didn't want in the van!
There is a nack to fitting them, sometimes they just drop in, other times lots of cursing is required....

Very timely thread as I managed to snap the corner of ours while moving our son's stuff from Uni.
I botched a repair with insulating tape but the svreen is surprisingly well made with metal reinforcing on the corners. We really needed them recently as it was so hot we needed the air flow and there were all sorts of insects around that we didn't want in the van!
There is a nack to fitting them, sometimes they just drop in, other times lots of cursing is required....
Unfortunately Jerba are out of stock of these for a couple of weeks :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI Jerba flyscreens are now back in stock :)

View attachment 22454

Sorry to drag up an old post but that looks lovely, where is this in the lakes?

I just bought another version of this screen from Jerba Campervans. Their version uses finer mesh which is midge proof. £49 + p&p

Video of screen fitting

@Mike Currie how do the screens compare to the standard OEM Cali ones? My OEM ones are flimsy to say the least!
The VW supplied ones don't fill the gap all that well either. There is a clear 1-2mm gap that insects can gain access thru let alone midgies!

@Mike Currie how do the screens compare to the standard OEM Cali ones? My OEM ones are flimsy to say the least!
The VW supplied ones don't fill the gap all that well either. There is a clear 1-2mm gap that insects can gain access thru let alone midgies!
Sorry, but I have a Beach and have no experience of the OEM screens. The screen appears to be quite sturdy and the frame is well made.

Had my other half put it on the tube....i am on the tube!
OMG thanks for that video. For a year I've been struggling with fitting it into the open window and removing it every time I wanted to close the window, as was shown to me by the Wesfalia agency in Vic, Spain who imported my van from Germany. Sheesh!

I attached midge proof screen fabric to the original VW screen with a perimeter of velcro. Worked great in Scotland. Supplies bought at one of the Chinese shops for about 10 euros. Also did the upstairs vents.

Thanks TJ. I will be purchasing Avon product next time. I had read how good this was and should have got some
It's what all the locals use. Cheaper, smells nicer, midges can't get through it, and as a byproduct you wind up with moisturized skin. Total winner.

Video of screen fitting

That video looks like a sliding window from a Transporter conversion, not the flush closing widows of the Multivan/Caravel/California. Will it fit both?
Edit: answered, you have a Beach like me.

Back