Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting OEM Underslung Spare Wheel GC680

I have found the parts via MAN dealership and the difference in price

VW 7C0803660BF SPARE WHEEL BRACKET AND CABLE £166.80 (MAN 65424030048 £123.60)

VW 7C0805350F REBOUND STRAP £68.88 (MAN 65424400006 £48.60)

VW 7 X N0195308 M8X25 FLANGED HEX BOLTS (MAN 65900500002 £16.04)

VW 1 X N10714101 M10 X 25 FLANGED HEX BOLT (MAN 65904050136 £1.92)

Quite a bit cheaper, so handy to know for other stuff as well...
You'll need a jack and the tools to work it, you'll also need a wheel brace "T" bar and the adapter tool to allow lowering.

The crafter alloys can’t be used with the support system under the van that’s why people use steels.

So if you are fully laden on a trip, you then have to carry the dirty punctured alloy inside the van until you get the puncture fixed / tyre replaced?

You'll need a jack and the tools to work it, you'll also need a wheel brace "T" bar and the adapter tool to allow lowering.
Yes, the VW part numbers for those are all in an earlier post. I didn't get them from MAN as I already had them..

Poor design by VW
At a guess 99% of new cars don’t have space for a full size spare.
Crafter can take a full size steel spare of the size fitted to commercial versions - the only thing stopping an alloy fitting is the hole in the centre of the alloy hub isn’t big enough for the support bracket to pass through. The emergency restraint strap would also make a mess of the face of the alloy.
So if you are fully laden on a trip, you then have to carry the dirty punctured alloy inside the van until you get the puncture fixed / tyre replaced?
Yes exactly the same as 99% of new cars & any transporter fitted with bling wheels.

VW don't do a 17" steel wheel for the crafter.
Informative. So you are obliged to use a 16” wheel + tyre if you specify 17” Alloys and wish to carry a spare.?

Informative. So you are obliged to use a 16” wheel + tyre if you specify 17” Alloys and wish to carry a spare.?
I'll save you the effort of checking the configurator......IMG_2894.jpeg

Why would I want to check the configurator? Never, ever going to own a GC or equivalent.
Probably for the same reason that anyone that has never owned and has no intention of owning a GC would read and comment on 3 pages of posts about fitting a spare wheel to one.

Probably for the same reason that anyone that has never owned and has no intention of owning a GC would read and comment on 3 pages of posts about fitting a spare wheel to one.
No different to fitting/carrying a spare on a Transporter based California that has 18/19/20” wheels. Same problem.

I only followed the thread as just fitted a 17” alloy to a transporter with a tow bar. Previous spare was 16” steel but had to adjust the existing cradle to the lower setting (the old ‘unused’ tyre actually had deep perished depressions in the rubber from being crushed into the carrier as then cradle was on the higher setting). Had to jack the van up to slide the new wheel (otherwise the tow bar socket blocked the route).

Just find it strange that VW didn't design the crafter to carry a matching ‘normal’ wheel size to those fitted on the axles. Imagine most will spec a grandcali with alloys.

Just find it strange that VW didn't design the crafter to carry a matching ‘normal’ wheel size to those fitted on the axles. Imagine most will spec a grandcali with alloys.
Up until recently you could only have 17” alloys on a Grand in the UK, no choice, now there is an option to save money (and weight) and spec 16” steel wheels instead.
Very few owners spec a spare from factory I would think due to additional weight. Certainly true on a GC600 + 3.5t anyway.

Up until recently you could only have 17” alloys on a Grand in the UK, no choice,

Apart from if you bought an early one, the first batch all came on steels & you couldn't have alloys.

Up until recently you could only have 17” alloys on a Grand in the UK, no choice, now there is an option to save money (and weight) and spec 16” steel wheels instead.
Thats a good point - the steels actually weigh less than the alloys!

Does anyone know or can show me where the safety cable mounts, it has a 10mm flanged bolt. I think it goes on the left somewhere.

Swapped my spare wheel (1050kg) rated wheel for a 1200kg rated one this afternoon in my garage

IMG_7688.jpeg

Back