Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flooded interior of Cali

AlexBrown

AlexBrown

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all, first time poster, unfortunately on a less than positive note. I just spend the weekend away in my newly bought 2007 van. Upon filling the fresh water for the first time with 10L, I soon noticed that there was a constant flow of water coming out from the fresh water drain area outside of the van. The drain tap was closed (I have also been reading about the modification that can be done to the tape metal to insure full close)

Upon further inspection, a lot of the water had managed to leak onto the rubber matt of the van interior, which was then soaked up by the sponge under the matt. So I am sure that a large proportion of the interior rubber matt is currently saturated.

Am I right in thinking that I should have the garage remove everything to properly dry out the van metal floor and underside of rubber matt? Of course this means removing absolutely everything, but I am worried about smells and the saturated floor holding unessesary moisture ...

Thanks, Alex

Hi all, first time poster, unfortunately on a less than positive note. I just spend the weekend away in my newly bought 2007 van. Upon filling the fresh water for the first time with 10L, I soon noticed that there was a constant flow of water coming out from the fresh water drain area outside of the van. The drain tap was closed (I have also been reading about the modification that can be done to the tape metal to insure full close)

Upon further inspection, a lot of the water had managed to leak onto the rubber matt of the van interior, which was then soaked up by the sponge under the matt. So I am sure that a large proportion of the interior rubber matt is currently saturated.

Am I right in thinking that I should have the garage remove everything to properly dry out the van metal floor and underside of rubber matt? Of course this means removing absolutely everything, but I am worried about smells and the saturated floor holding unessesary moisture ...

Thanks, Alex
Hi Alex, sorry to hear of your trouble, but I am a bit confused. Your profile says your vehicle is a T5 Beach, but the Beach doesn’t have an onboard water tank? Could you clarify please?

I would not worry to much about the water that searched it's way down , good it could drain eventualy , let it dry out .You could remove some of the plastic trim on the flooring to check out how wet it still is and giving better ventilation.

The main thing is to search where the leaks is !
Open the rear warderobe , take out the bottem shelf accesing the gastank .
If you have a torch stick your head in and look if the tube is still propperly connected between the tank and the outside filler.

That is as mentiont above if your is a SE

Its a 2007 T5 Beach that had all the California furniture installed, by a useless conversion shop down here in Spain.

I have discovered that the drain at the bottom of the water tank is not sealed to whatever pipe goes through the floor, there is at least a 5mm gap - so when the tank was full (and while it was leaking through the broken drain tap), it was just pouring wherever it wanted thus filling the interior with water.

My big concern is the amount of water I think leaked into the interior, definitely 5L at least. Hence my concern for taking everything out to air and dry it properly.

IMG_7257.jpg

Its a 2007 T5 Beach that had all the California furniture installed, by a useless conversion shop down here in Spain.

I have discovered that the drain at the bottom of the water tank is not sealed to whatever pipe goes through the floor, there is at least a 5mm gap - so when the tank was full (and while it was leaking through the broken drain tap), it was just pouring wherever it wanted thus filling the interior with water.

My big concern is the amount of water I think leaked into the interior, definitely 5L at least. Hence my concern for taking everything out to air and dry it properly.

View attachment 46773
I think I would rent a Mains powered De-Humidifier. Plug it it, inside the van with ALL doors closed and cling film over the Fresh Air vent at the base of the windscreen when you open the bonnet, and leave it running for a few days until it stops collecting water.

We've just had a big leak from the waste tank in ours, even the carpet was soaking wet between the front seats. It seems to have dried ok with just leaving the doors and tailgate open for a few days. So far no smell, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

With the temperatures expected down there, you should have a good drying opportunity (leave roof up to vent)
Agree, leave the doors open, i had a temp reading of 40° today on the dash.

With the temperatures expected down there, you should have a good drying opportunity (leave roof up to vent)
Agree, leave the doors open, i had a temp reading of 40° today on the dash.
The trouble is the Humidity rather than the temperature. If you were in the Sahara it might work but with a humid heat it will only partially work, but heat on the vehicle + a De Humidifier it should work very well.

My trunks dry really fast in 40 degree humid heat. I'm sure it will be fine. People don't realise that humidity in the UK is often well up in the 90s. And the washing seems to dry ok on the line across the street

The trouble is the Humidity rather than the temperature. If you were in the Sahara it might work but with a humid heat it will only partially work, but heat on the vehicle + a De Humidifier it should work very well.
Well i wouldn't be plugging a de-humidifier in when the temp is 30 ++

Well i wouldn't be plugging a de-humidifier in when the temp is 30 ++
You would if you wanted everything bone dry. All the little nooks and crannies, under the floor cover/carpet etc: under the fridge/ wardrobe base etc: and all done in a shorter time.

Thanks all. I left the van standing in the lovely Spanish heat for the past weeks and think it is now all dry. I will proceed with taking out the wardrobe soon so I can further inspect the water tank.