Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fortana Red issues

DianeM

DianeM

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi I’m having issues with insect marks on my Fortana Red Cali, it’s 4 months old and the weather hasn’t been good enough for hight temperatures but the front of the bonnet is ingrained with insect smudges that will not come out, after asking a detailer he’s thinking it’s a paint issue. Any info or others experienced this?

Not had this problem - I do wash her apply ceramic spray or similar when washing mine is 2 years old

Hi I’m having issues with insect marks on my Fortana Red Cali, it’s 4 months old and the weather hasn’t been good enough for hight temperatures but the front of the bonnet is ingrained with insect smudges that will not come out, after asking a detailer he’s thinking it’s a paint issue. Any info or others experienced this?

No problem on mine apart from a few stone chips after 18 months & 15k miles

Can you do a photo? the lacquer over the paint is a soft particularly when new & I have always been careful to get bird droppings off asap, insects have stayed on for weeks if not months & there's no sign of any damage due to them. I did however give the van a decent coat of proper old fashioned wax & a sealer when it was new

By the way your details say a T6 but the picture shows a T6.1

Had a few stubborn areas caused by bird poop but tend to get it off now as soon as I see it. Autoglym tar remover worked a treat.

I actually think Fortana Red has some mystical properties to it. Last summer a bird pooed on my van and it etched the paintwork pretty badly. I just left it alone in the end and after a couple of weeks the etching had completely disappeared. My very loose theory is that under direct sunlight the clear coat expands and contracts, eventually working the blemish out. That’s probably not the case at all but if you’ve definitely removed all the bug splatter I’d be tempted to see how the marks looks in a couple of weeks before you rush out and do anything.

No problem on mine apart from a few stone chips after 18 months & 15k miles

Can you do a photo? the lacquer over the paint is a soft particularly when new & I have always been careful to get bird droppings off asap, insects have stayed on for weeks if not months & there's no sign of any damage due to them. I did however give the van a decent coat of proper old fashioned wax & a sealer when it was new

By the way your details say a T6 but the picture shows a T6.1

Not sure if this was wise but gave the detailer guy permission to buff them off then apply a coating of ceramic protector, first trip away since then and the van is covered in insects again so be interesting to see if they wash off now after the ceramic application

For a more permanent protection you could consider paint protection film (PPF) for the bonnet.
In the meantime, along with the Autoglym bug remover, get yourself a bug remover cloth similar to this.
IMG_0554.jpeg

Washing my California today I noticed some really annoying scuffs that must be from fitting the Prucer screen and the windscreen cover.

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6163.jpeg

IMG_6161.jpeg

IMG_6162.jpeg

IMG_6166.png

IMG_6160.jpeg

Back