Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter the California’s Achilles Heel

The Westfalia Columbus actually looks a seriously good van, unlike above:talktothehand
Currently in Scotland in a hired Columbus and making comparisons with our Cali.
The wintry weather is no problem and we are very cosy in our huge comfy bed with the heating set low. Rooflights and push out windows are very good for ventilation, very controllable heating and red hot water. The space is fantastic, we are giving it a full test but it is very nice when someone can chill on the fixed bed, whilst others cook a meal,wash up, have a shower, sit and watch TV etc. The on site experience is great.
However I am disappointed with quite a lot of the Westfalia build quality and I'm a big fan by the way. Broken shelf, badly soiled trim, flickering led lights, weak gas burners, peeling graphics, laminate rippling etc etc. Shame really, the beds and bathroom are great and massive heated boot space.
The drive is also poor, uprated 150 auto engine and its not a patch on the Cali. Rattled and crashed like a bag of spanners too.
I was fancying one of these, used, as the price is eye-watering new but I'm not sure now. Great onsite, especially this time of year but not nice to drive or park when you're used to a Cali.

The wintry weather is no problem and we are very cosy in our huge comfy bed with the heating set low. Rooflights and push out windows are very good for ventilation, very controllable heating and red hot water. The space is fantastic, we are giving it a full test but it is very nice when someone can chill on the fixed bed, whilst others cook a meal,wash up, have a shower, sit and watch TV etc. The on site experience is great.
However I am disappointed with quite a lot of the Westfalia build quality and I'm a big fan by the way. Broken shelf, badly soiled trim, flickering led lights, weak gas burners, peeling graphics, laminate rippling etc etc. Shame really, the beds and bathroom are great and massive heated boot space.
The drive is also poor, uprated 150 auto engine and its not a patch on the Cali. Rattled and crashed like a bag of spanners too.
I was fancying one of these, used, as the price is eye-watering new but I'm not sure now. Great onsite, especially this time of year but not nice to drive or park when you're used to a Cali.
Pic please, inside and out.

Hi Larry, I know there is a new Ducato 2020 model out now with new Euro 6D engines (120, 140, 160, 180 bhp) with new 9 speed automatic box replacing previous Comfortmatic auto on 3 larger engine outputs.. This may be an improved driving experience but I’ve not yet seen any reviews of this revised platform and engine combo being used in Campervan’s. I suspect even with this the drive will fall short of a Cali!

The winter months ( we like to use ours through winter for camping although only a couple of days at a time) would be more comfortable in a hi top with fixed toilet etc but the compromise is build quality and driving experience. It is something my wife and I discuss often! The Grand California seems to offer good drive and the extra comfort but 600 version ( as large as I would consider) is to my eyes too high at front and not very good to look at!

Hi Larry, I know there is a new Ducato 2020 model out now with new Euro 6D engines (120, 140, 160, 180 bhp) with new 9 speed automatic box replacing previous Comfortmatic auto on 3 larger engine outputs.. This may be an improved driving experience but I’ve not yet seen any reviews of this revised platform and engine combo being used in Campervan’s. I suspect even with this the drive will fall short of a Cali!

The winter months ( we like to use ours through winter for camping although only a couple of days at a time) would be more comfortable in a hi top with fixed toilet etc but the compromise is build quality and driving experience. It is something my wife and I discuss often! The Grand California seems to offer good drive and the extra comfort but 600 version ( as large as I would consider) is to my eyes too high at front and not very good to look at!
Yes, we saw a nice 2020 version at the NEC, trouble was it was 77k.
Currently near Pitlochry and it is a frosty morning. We have been very comfortable and cosy and it's a piece of cake to be honest in this camper. Driving to Stirling today so will assess the ride again today.

I'm the same as you Calisand. We often discuss slightly larger vehicles (well I do). I recently drove a Hymer Ayres Rock, with fixed bed a small toilet etc. It also had a pop top with a bed up there if you need it. But the van is high enough to walk around without the roof up. However, the drive (manual) was pretty rough and it just felt cheaper (£55,000). The automatic version is £65,000. It is only half a metre longer than the Cali. Getting back into the Cali was like getting into a luxury car. And as I do all the driving, the drive is as important as the camping bit. What I need is some to drive it to wherever I want to go and I will meet them there. Same goes for caravans. I do not want to tow, but once on a campsite, they must be great.maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I'm the same as you Calisand. We often discuss slightly larger vehicles (well I do). I recently drove a Hymer Ayres Rock, with fixed bed a small toilet etc. It also had a pop top with a bed up there if you need it. But the van is high enough to walk around without the roof up. However, the drive (manual) was pretty rough and it just felt cheaper (£55,000). The automatic version is £65,000. It is only half a metre longer than the Cali. Getting back into the Cali was like getting into a luxury car. And as I do all the driving, the drive is as important as the camping bit. What I need is some to drive it to wherever I want to go and I will meet them there. Same goes for caravans. I do not want to tow, but once on a campsite, they must be great.View attachment 52055

My thoughts exactly. I towed when I was much younger and tried it again before buying Cali. Just didn’t enjoy it at all and after 3 months changed to Cali. Like you I value the driving experience and the ability to cover large distances comfortably and at car speeds - the Cali is as good a motorway cruiser as many executive/luxury cars in my experience.

The Ayers Rock was one on our list of possible alternatives, as is the Vantage Med - different layout but quality seems good (also 5.41m), but we would want an auto so both would be about £65k new. Next year I’d like to try one of these with new engine/auto combo (160bhp) to help determine if driving trade off vs on-site camping experience helps us decide if we will change in next year or so.

Just noticed you're from the Fylde Coast. Have you ever been to Signature Motorhomes in Preston near Red Scar Estate? You should go and have a look at their Globecar and Adria stuff. Very similar layouts to the Westfalias but a lot cheaper new. The build quality will be just as good.

I'm the same as you Calisand. We often discuss slightly larger vehicles (well I do). I recently drove a Hymer Ayres Rock, with fixed bed a small toilet etc. It also had a pop top with a bed up there if you need it. But the van is high enough to walk around without the roof up. However, the drive (manual) was pretty rough and it just felt cheaper (£55,000). The automatic version is £65,000. It is only half a metre longer than the Cali. Getting back into the Cali was like getting into a luxury car. And as I do all the driving, the drive is as important as the camping bit. What I need is some to drive it to wherever I want to go and I will meet them there. Same goes for caravans. I do not want to tow, but once on a campsite, they must be great.View attachment 52055
I have to confess that we had our heads turned by a Hymercar Free 540 (v similar to the Ayers Rock) at the NEC. Went to Travelworld, a very impressive Hymer dealer in Stafford, at the weekend and put down a deposit. Picking up our new van in March/April 2020. Yes the driving experience is compromised but the camping experience definitely isn’t. We are hoping that this is a compromise worth making and we don’t regret our decision. Yes we will miss the refinement of the Cali but with a fixed bed in the new van I certainly won’t miss making up the bed every night and storing sleeping bags or duvets while travelling!

@larrylamb
Thanks for the comparison, all good info.

As happens the last couple of weekends we have really enjoyed the Cali and it’s helped that we have moved our little one to the upstairs bed. Which means we have some liveable space whilst he’s in bed, downside is, I now have to share my bed...:(

I tell you something, last Friday night we had gusts of wind between 50-60mph in Cornwall. Really heavy driving rain.
We wild camped with the roof up and without one of those silly poptop covers.
It survived the night, we didn’t get wet or cold and it’s testament to how well constructed the poptop roof is on the T6.

The Cali love is strong again.

Just noticed you're from the Fylde Coast. Have you ever been to Signature Motorhomes in Preston near Red Scar Estate? You should go and have a look at their Globecar and Adria stuff. Very similar layouts to the Westfalias but a lot cheaper new. The build quality will be just as good.
Hi Simon, yes i have visited there and clocked the Globecar/Adria vans. Not for me though, i thought the Globecars were old fashioned and the Adria quality was not as good as Westfalia imo. Mixed feelings about the Columbus we hired, i got used to the driving a bit more although it is definitely not as good as a Cali to drive. The camping/cooking side etc was fab even though a few bits of trim were poor. We're not changing things at the moment but who knows. :thumb

I have to confess that we had our heads turned by a Hymercar Free 540 (v similar to the Ayers Rock) at the NEC. Went to Travelworld, a very impressive Hymer dealer in Stafford, at the weekend and put down a deposit. Picking up our new van in March/April 2020. Yes the driving experience is compromised but the camping experience definitely isn’t. We are hoping that this is a compromise worth making and we don’t regret our decision. Yes we will miss the refinement of the Cali but with a fixed bed in the new van I certainly won’t miss making up the bed every night and storing sleeping bags or duvets while travelling!
My wife and I were looking at the same Hymer Ayres Rock van for the last few years, almost put down a deposit for a 2019 van then went back to the Cali, then almost put down a deposit again for a 2020 factory order only to end up with a Cali Ocean after hiring one a few times before. Which one have you gone for the Free or the Ayres Rock. Both very nice vans and we liked the layout with the pop top and rear bed so you could still stand up when in use, and new bigger two way opening fridge for 2020. Also that they have a proper storage space for the outside table and two chairs in the rear doors like a cali. The new 9 speed auto looks like it might be better too. Hope all goes well and you have many great adventures!

My wife and I were looking at the same Hymer Ayres Rock van for the last few years, almost put down a deposit for a 2019 van then went back to the Cali, then almost put down a deposit again for a 2020 factory order only to end up with a Cali Ocean after hiring one a few times before. Which one have you gone for the Free or the Ayres Rock. Both very nice vans and we liked the layout with the pop top and rear bed so you could still stand up when in use, and new bigger two way opening fridge for 2020. Also that they have a proper storage space for the outside table and two chairs in the rear doors like a cali. The new 9 speed auto looks like it might be better too. Hope all goes well and you have many great adventures!
I too had a trial drive in the Hymer car. And I agree the driving is not so good but once parked it is excellent. I may still switch,but the California is much more usable as a 'car'.

We have gone for the Free without a roof bed as it’s just the two of us and we wanted the roof lights. We know that the driving experience won’t be as good but it is just a camping vehicle so hoping it’s a compromise worth making. Will let you know once we take delivery!

I too had a trial drive in the Hymer car. And I agree the driving is not so good but once parked it is excellent. I may still switch,but the California is much more usable as a 'car'.

We saw a lot of the Hymers in France during the summer. Really liked the layout and internal finish looked good, would consider if we ever needed a shower / toilet. My favourite was a 4x4 Mercedes base with raised suspension with the pop top in black...looked awesome!

We have gone for the Free without a roof bed as it’s just the two of us and we wanted the roof lights. We know that the driving experience won’t be as good but it is just a camping vehicle so hoping it’s a compromise worth making. Will let you know once we take delivery!
Very nice, the roof lights will make it even more lighter inside. I wouldn't worry too much about the driving experience not being the same, it's a bigger van without being too big like a full blown motorhome and like the Cali you can't exactly race around the roads with everything onboard and the rattles from pots and pans!

There are next to no other campervans with a fixed bed in the rear where I would fit in. Not in the width and not in the length. Even the bed in a GC is way too short for me.
And as my Cali is also my daily driver, I need it to be small enough to fit everywhere.
Half a meter longer is already too long, as the 5 meters it is now is already the maximum to fit in a "normal" parking spot. Also it mustn't be much wider and higher, or it doesn't fit under barriers or rocky tunnels in small winding mountain roads.
I don't mind taking down the cushion and duvet before closing the roof, although it might have been more handy if the roof was more flattened instead of the lumps now.

It's giving or taking, and if you find a good agreement with your campervan or caravan, or tent, you have to keep it.
I managed to get the agreement, and up to now I have not seen anything else I'd prefer instead of what I have now.

Always been a LWB high roof T4, T5 or T6 owner / user and never regretted it, 5.2m long and used as a daily driver with no problems in or out of town.
Never understood why VW didn't continue with the development of the LWB high roof Cali, I've seen the T5 prototype but it was never further developed.
The one in my avatar is a factory high roof but the REIMO one that we have on the T6 is better.

Always been a LWB high roof T4, T5 or T6 owner / user and never regretted it, 5.2m long and used as a daily driver with no problems in or out of town.
Never understood why VW didn't continue with the development of the LWB high roof Cali, I've seen the T5 prototype but it was never further developed.
The one in my avatar is a factory high roof but the REIMO one that we have on the T6 is better.
I think a slightly longer van up to around 5.5 metres long isn't too much of an issue to park in most places maybe with the 6 and 6.4 metre long vans it might require a bit more effort to find a space or park on street. I can understand people who use a Cali as a daily driver and need to park in a town/city centre car park, but for when it's being used as a campervan/touring vehicle most places have enough room. The height thing is probably the biggest issue for us, as more car parks seem to have height restrictions around the 2 metre mark, so probably tight even with a pop top! When we toured Northumberland this was an issue with most car parks near to the beaches. Didn't cause too much of an issue as there are still other car parks without just need to walk a bit further.
It would be nice if VW could make a long wheel base California though!

There are next to no other campervans with a fixed bed in the rear where I would fit in. Not in the width and not in the length. Even the bed in a GC is way too short for me.
And as my Cali is also my daily driver, I need it to be small enough to fit everywhere.
Half a meter longer is already too long, as the 5 meters it is now is already the maximum to fit in a "normal" parking spot. Also it mustn't be much wider and higher, or it doesn't fit under barriers or rocky tunnels in small winding mountain roads.
I don't mind taking down the cushion and duvet before closing the roof, although it might have been more handy if the roof was more flattened instead of the lumps now.

It's giving or taking, and if you find a good agreement with your campervan or caravan, or tent, you have to keep it.
I managed to get the agreement, and up to now I have not seen anything else I'd prefer instead of what I have now.
Agree with that. Once you figure out what type of camping you will be doing and obviously budget, then that helps to decide between tent (cheapest and ideal for stays a bit longer than a couple of nights), caravan (space inside, use of car once on site, but takes a bit longer to set up and may need to be stored away from home), campervan (Great for touring, quick to set up, easy to park, yet lacks the space) or motorhome (easy to set up, more space, but not great for narrow lanes, exploring and parking). Whatever you end up with as long as you can get to use it and enjoy using it, that is all that matters!

The Cali is great driving vehicle for sure. I am looking at a 6m Hymercar, which appears to tick all the boxes.

It’s that time of year again.
After a week in Scotland, I can’t lie, conversations of another van started. Although, second van to complement the California.
I do have a soft spot for the Westfalia Club Joker. So if anyone out there has one for sale around the £30k mark. Let me know…;)

Just a little update on our latest trip.
We spent a day at Loch Lommond, then onto Glencoe. The second night there the heavens opened in Biblical fashion. We packed up the following morning and hit a hotel in Aviemore as the weather forecast was better than SW Scotland. 2 nights in a hotel, way better than sleeping in a van.
Final night we went back down towards Glencoe and Brit-stopped at Lake Leven.
The only addition I need at present. Some good quality earplugs for sleeping in the pop top. Any recommendations…?

Did a fair few miles this week and was glad to be in a California and not a big horrible box van.

Lake Leven Camp
BAB8E05C-F12F-4F32-901E-466F8D74BE02.jpeg

Last edited:
After a week in Scotland, I can’t lie, conversations of another van started. Although, second van to complement the California.
I do have a soft spot for the Westfalia Club Joker. So if anyone out there has one for sale around the £30k mark. Let me know…;)

We spent a day at Loch Lommond, then onto Glencoe. The second night there the heavens opened in Biblical fashion. We packed up the following morning and hit a hotel in Aviemore as the weather forecast was better than SW Scotland. 2 nights in a hotel, way better than sleeping in a van.
The only addition I need at present. Some good quality earplugs for sleeping in the pop top. Any recommendations…?

Did a fair few miles this week and was glad to be in a California and not a big horrible box van.

Lake Leven Camp
View attachment 86114
What would you use the Cali for if you had a joker? I can’t see you would still use it to camp in.

Lake Leven Camp
View attachment 86114
These are quite good for me. My better half finds them slightly large but she has much smaller ears and can still use them.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/4Pairs-P...004KIRO3Y,B08DY5W8Q9,B097Q1B71J&srpt=EARPLUG#