Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter the California’s Achilles Heel

What would you use the Cali for if you had a joker? I can’t see you would still use it to camp in.

I mostly sleep up top.
Lately, outside noise has been disturbing my sleep.
I slept downstairs a few weeks back. It’s incredible how much quieter it is…
Having a hardtop would make a huge difference.

The only addition I need at present. Some good quality earplugs for sleeping in the pop top. Any recommendations…?
I have always used these Laser Lite ear plugs for the last 20+ years, at work, DIY at home and sleeping. Very comfortable.

For me the essence of a Campervan is spending long lazy evenings outside drinking beer & wine alongside a barbecue or something else cooked outside watching the world go by and chatting with neighbours after a full day of activity walking/cycling or visiting interesting places.

During the winter months (late October to End March) we use the Cali as a day van or the occasional two night stop. Being in a van of any size from 5pm in the afternoon until 8.00am the following day is something I can’t tolerate for any more than a couple of nights although my wife is more relaxed about this.

We have considered many times if a bigger van would be better and have hired bigger/taller vans to try but for us at the moment the Cali works the way we use it - Spring to Autumn either 2-3 days in one place or a longer tour where we again stop 2-3 nights in one place. It’s size/manoeuvrability and Swiss Army knife type capabilities outweigh the attraction of some benefits of a bigger van - certainly at the moment.

Everyone has their own approach but during the dark winter months I’d rather be in a cottage or hotel if the stay is any more than a night or 2.

I mostly sleep up top.
Having a hardtop would make a huge

I mostly sleep up top.
Having a hardtop would make a huge difference.
Yep it does, but I still have my windows in roof opened a little to help ventilation.
I just can’t see the point of a cali and a joker unless you’re rich ;)

Yep it does, but I still have my windows in roof opened a little to help ventilation.
I just can’t see the point of a cali and a joker unless you’re rich ;)

To be honest.
We thought. Keep the Cali, I need it for quick trips to the coast (solo missions), where a bigger van wouldn’t be needed.
The bigger van would be in a syndicate.
3 couples all put in £15k/20k and share the van and associated costs.
Syndicates work for canal boats, why not a bigger van.

To be honest.
We thought. Keep the Cali, I need it for quick trips to the coast (solo missions), where a bigger van wouldn’t be needed.
Accidents? more common on the road than on a canal.

To be honest.
Wow! That’s very brave. What happens when the inevitable argument over dates kicks off?

Wow! That’s very brave. What happens when the inevitable argument over dates kicks off?

A friend of mine had a syndicate of 6 on their boat share.
Each year, they met as a committee.
Sort any financial issues and discuss costs and maintenance.
Then they arrange usage.
The syndicate was 6
Couple 1 have first pic of 4 weeks throughout the year, couple 2 second pic etc.
Year 2 couple 1 move to six position and the rest bump up the queue.

For us, a big van would only be used for bigger trips. Therefore, we feel a syndicate of 3 would work and give us plenty of scope for when we wanted the van.
Ideally we would try and form a syndicate with two parties without children. Therefore would hope to get the van over the majority of school holidays.

I think it would work and reduce the overall costs associated with another van.
Otherwise we would be sinking £60k+ into something we use infrequently. Wrapping up £60k in a bigger van doesn’t work for me. I could use that money better.
£20k, no drama. It’s a couple of nice holidays…

I get this totally you need a good nights kip and although the California is Awsome in the bad weather it’s not ..been there and it’s a bit full on especially at 50 lol

I think the syndicate , but that's just me, it is a way of looking for trouble.
If , as you said, you are a last minute sort of person, than it is going to be tough in a partnership where dates have to be arranged well ahead of time.
For info about earplugs, have a search in motorbikes forums. I can recommend you from direct personal experience these:

3M™ E-A-Rsoft™ FX™ Earplugs​

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/sgbgpsd1116s/
You'll sleep and not hear a thing.

We use the Cali all year round. I like winter camping. With just the two of us and the dogs, it works fine…except when it rains, then it can be hard to get stuff dry.

I think the syndicate , but that's just me, it is a way of looking for trouble.
If , as you said, you are a last minute sort of person, than it is going to be tough in a partnership where dates have to be arranged well ahead of time.
For info about earplugs, have a search in motorbikes forums. I can recommend you from direct personal experience these:

3M™ E-A-Rsoft™ FX™ Earplugs​

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/p/d/sgbgpsd1116s/
You'll sleep and not hear a thing.

Im very last minute.
But now tied to school holidays.
We drove up to Scotland last week. Other than starting at Loch Lommond to break the journey up. We had no idea where we were going.
That’s what I love about vans. Chase the better weather and just drive, see what you find…

I think the beauty of a van share is being less attached to the van. It has its purpose.
The Cali is different, it’s the everyday vehicle that does almost everything and not something I would ever consider sharing or being without. It’s part of the family :thumb

It’s that time of year again.
After a week in Scotland, I can’t lie, conversations of another van started. Although, second van to complement the California.
I do have a soft spot for the Westfalia Club Joker. So if anyone out there has one for sale around the £30k mark. Let me know…;)

Just a little update on our latest trip.
We spent a day at Loch Lommond, then onto Glencoe. The second night there the heavens opened in Biblical fashion. We packed up the following morning and hit a hotel in Aviemore as the weather forecast was better than SW Scotland. 2 nights in a hotel, way better than sleeping in a van.
Final night we went back down towards Glencoe and Brit-stopped at Lake Leven.
The only addition I need at present. Some good quality earplugs for sleeping in the pop top. Any recommendations…?

Did a fair few miles this week and was glad to be in a California and not a big horrible box van.

Lake Leven Camp
View attachment 86114
I use these ear plugs for work. Cost a bit but the best I’ve ever used. Other custom fit plugs are available of course.