Winter the California’s Achilles Heel

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
As the temperatures drop and the weather becomes less friendly, the nights are closing in, getting away in the California is less appealing...

Not so bad when I’m camping by myself, the Cali has enough room to be comfortable.
However, as a family I do yearn for a bit more space. In the evenings sitting out is no longer practical, the old days of hitting the pubs, are a no go. Little JJ needs to be in bed, so mum and dad are confined to the van and it’s at this stage conversation goes back to a bigger vehicle with more inside living space...

These challenges don’t exist in summer, we are outside, enjoying ourselves.
We like to get away throughout the year, the advantages of the Cali are many, but we all know the disadvantages too.

So I’m seriously considering a bigger unit, or perhaps something we can tow during the winter months...?

What’s your experiences, bigger vans, towing etc etc...?
745F2DF8-938F-40CD-BEBA-C8235487C699.jpeg

How about an Eriba caravan, super easy to tow, you almost forget it’s behind you. We’ve had two in the past and are now onto our second Cali but if we needed extra space we would look at an Eriba first.

Do you use your Cali as a daily drive and if you moved to a bigger van would you need an additional car?

When we bought our Cali, we made a pact that we would use hotels / premier inns etc during the winter so that we could still get away. We have been able to get some pretty good deals which has kept the costs in check.

We do the same in winter as there are some amazing hotel deals around, even holiday cottages. For example we have a holiday cottage booked in Cornwall for November with sea view for £350 per week. That is just £50 per night. We also use Travelzoo and Groupon for shorter breaks where you can get amazing packages at hotels that include evening meal for about £80 per night.

I agree, the Cali is a depressing place when the weather is bad and if you buy something larger it will still be misserable just with more room inside.

A Grand California ....?:)

As mentiont above allready , do you need / use your Cali as a daily drive ? Thats where it all starts .
Is bigger always better ?
We talk about it when at campsite looking at other campers , been to the Dusseldorf show and there's soooo much diffrerence in campers .
If i had no budget and would be ordering now i don't know what i be buying , there's so many diffrent set-ups on the market .
If i ever change from our Cali to something else the main reason will be to lose the pop-top and to have a small bathroom

How about an Eriba caravan, super easy to tow, you almost forget it’s behind you. We’ve had two in the past and are now onto our second Cali but if we needed extra space we would look at an Eriba first.

Do you use your Cali as a daily drive and if you moved to a bigger van would you need an additional car?

Thats one of the trailers we were thinking of.

That is one of the trailers we were thinking of. The Eriba touring looks a great little van and something we would perhaps take on extended trips over to Europe.

The Cali is our daily driver too and it works for us most of the time.
I also think fuel wise it’s pretty good and I need an economical vehicle as I drive to the coast often, sometimes just for the day or night. A bigger van is going to cost more to run and potentially be a headache as an everyday vehicle.

I think the ERIBA might be a good call if I can form a syndicate of 3 couples to purchase and share ownership.

+1 for hotels in winter as they are a fraction of the price you would pay in summer. We used to have a motorhome before the Cali and having something larger did not improve going away in winter at all really apart from not having to walk to the toilet block. It still ended up on the drive for 90% of the winter and this is why we sold it to buy the Cali which is now a daily driver.

A Grand California ....?:)

As mentiont above allready , do you need / use your Cali as a daily drive ? Thats where it all starts .
Is bigger always better ?
We talk about it when at campsite looking at other campers , been to the Dusseldorf show and there's soooo much diffrerence in campers .
If i had no budget and would be ordering now i don't know what i be buying , there's so many diffrent set-ups on the market .
If i ever change from our Cali to something else the main reason will be to lose the pop-top and to have a small bathroom

Grand California, no no no.
I agree, so much competition out there and they are way ahead of Volkswagen.
I wouldn’t bother with a shower on a bigger van. I think they take up to much space and from what I see on campsites. Owners still use the onsite showers...???
Toilet would be a good call. I saw one conversion where the toilet slid out from under a fixed bed on rails, good idea.

+1 for hotels in winter as they are a fraction of the price you would pay in summer. We used to have a motorhome before the Cali and having something larger did not improve going away in winter at all really apart from not having to walk to the toilet block. It still ended up on the drive for 90% of the winter and this is why we sold it to buy the Cali which is now a daily driver.

I am a bit snobby with hotels.
Either I stay at very swanky hotels or I hit the van.
The very nice places are quite often booked. Another of my issues is, I’m not a planner. I’m very last second...

I’m more of an all or nothing sort of guy...

It looks bigger but does it actually have any more room? After all you've lost the upstairs bed.
Many on here do not use the upper bed which dramatically reduces the effective size of the van for a couple. The permanent lounge/bed combo gives a larger usable area than the available space in most alternatives, certainly the Grand California whose only trump card is the fixed toilet/shower room that unfortunately is cramped and needs emptying on a regular basis.
Weather-wise I favour the Canaries in winter, shortish flights, cheap accommodation and decent climate, choice is a fine thing.

Last edited:
I also think fuel wise it’s pretty good and I need an economical vehicle.

I think the ERIBA might be a good call if I can form a syndicate of 3 couples to purchase and share ownership.

We’ve been through this thought process very recently having picked up Ocean last week. All the Crafter/Mercedes based vans would appear to offer significantly more based on their size but in reality they didn’t offer enough for us to move at this stage in our lives. We use the Ocean for work commute a couple of days per week and agree that a bigger van would not be nearly as economical or convenient.

Good luck with your Eriba syndicate! Most Eriba owners I have met are very precious of their little caravan and wouldn’t share.

If you do go down the Eriba route to see if it meets your needs and it doesn’t work out you will be pleased with the residuals. They are similar to a Cali in that they hold their value really well, not so good when buying but you won’t loose much on selling.

I won’t sing the praises of Eriba’s much more other than to say they are well built on a steel frame with super insulation ....... and no, I don’t work for an Eriba dealership .

That is one of the trailers we were thinking of. The Eriba touring looks a great little van and something we would perhaps take on extended trips over to Europe.

I also think fuel wise it’s pretty good and I need an economical vehicle as I drive to the coast often, sometimes just for the day or night. A bigger van is going to cost more to run and potentially be a headache as an everyday vehicle.

Base camp or barefoot, looked at Eribas and although I think they are the better built of the three they have been inflated by VW scene tax. When ever you see one for sale it seems to be hitched to a VW. They have a pop-top canvas roof so heat is going to escape in winter and unless you are vertically challenged you need it up. The washroom door only goes so far up so relies on the same canvas to extend the privacy area.
Because the washroom door does not have a frame head, everyone I've been in (showrooms) the door has to be manipulated into the catch.
There's no oven, and everything seems to be an extra i.e. hot water/heating, are we sure VW don't own them ;).
Now don't get me wrong I am not dogging them I happen to like the 60th edition a lot and nearly bought one new last year, but feel there's better valued vans on the market alas not as well built but that equates to weight.
The basecamp has everything including app controlled heating and intruder alarm among other things but has seems stuck together like a great white, the early ones were recalled with damp issues. The MY19 ones now don't have timber in the floor. If Eriba and swift had an offspring I may be interested.
The Barefoot is like a egg so no seems and great to pull with all the toys inside but even more expensive than the Eriba, At least the Eriba is a known quantity and as said the build and residuals are a known fact.
Pay your £ take your choice.
We are going to the Motorhome and Caravan show to look at compact Caravans to pull behind the Cail to both increase winter camping and entertain the Mother in law.

The Airstream Basecamp looks impressive, but I doubt it will make it to the UK market...

I guess you mean the Swift Basecamp, again not bad.

We are going to the show next week to take a look around. But we won’t fork out for a trailer unless it’s within a syndicate.
I know there are pros and cons, but shelling out £6k shared ownership against £18k makes a lot more sense to us.
I have another party interested, but it’s still the investigating stage and I will probably try and hire one before committing.

Its a spunky thing that, with curb appeal but if you delve into Airstreams especially in the States lots get written off due to hailstorms of all things, they are also prone to denting easy.
And there's the cost.
I like the barefoot but again cost, I think they are 10K over priced TBH.

The Airstream Basecamp looks impressive, but I doubt it will make it to the UK market...

I guess you mean the Swift Basecamp, again not bad.

We are going to the show next week to take a look around. But we won’t fork out for a trailer unless it’s within a syndicate.
I know there are pros and cons, but shelling out £6k shared ownership against £18k makes a lot more sense to us.
I have another party interested, but it’s still the investigating stage and I will probably try and hire one before committing.

Here is a review of the Swift Basecamp Seems like having a spare room with a lot of extras.

Its a spunky thing that, with curb appeal but if you delve into Airstreams especially in the States lots get written off due to hailstorms of all things, they are also prone to denting easy.
And there's the cost.
I like the barefoot but again cost, I think they are 10K over priced TBH.

Yes I’ve seen a few videos saying the same, apparently residuals from new are terrible...
The Swift Basecamp does look very interesting, I will make sure I have a look.
Plus it’s UK made, another bonus IMO

Not sure on the Barefoot, looks well built. I will see if I can re-watch the Amazing Spaces episode.

Yes I’ve seen a few videos saying the same, apparently residuals from new are terrible...
The Swift Basecamp does look very interesting, I will make sure I have a look.
Plus it’s UK made, another bonus IMO
From what I can gather if interested in a Swift Basecamp get the new one without timber in the floor.

My rose tinted glasses have lifted slightly since this morning and there is one issue with the Eriba worth mentioning.

The seating for lounging around isn’t all that comfortable, especially if you have a fixed bed option, let’s just say it is very German in style. Both driver/passenger seat in the Cali are way ahead in terms of comfort.

My rose tinted glasses have lifted slightly since this morning and there is one issue with the Eriba worth mentioning.

The seating for lounging around isn’t all that comfortable, especially if you have a fixed bed option, let’s just say it is very German in style. Both driver/passenger seat in the Cali are way ahead in terms of comfort.

I have to aggree with you there, our in laws have an Eriba Touring and it is by far a comfortable living space. They do look nice from the outside but I think they are designed for outdoor living, as is the Cali. Also the fixtures and fittings on the latest models are very plasticy compared to those of the 90's

We are on our third Eriba in two years. Previously If my Sister and I went away together she would stop in a hotel with me often in a nearby car park.

We exchanged the first Eriba after 20 nights away when Sis found the interior too gloomy. We swapped for a lighter interior. Net cost difference was about £500, not to bad when we had saved about £2k on hotel and dinner bills. We exchanged the second one for a different layout Eriba in May, opting this time for a brand new one. Net cost this time was about 3k, after she had spent 54 nights in Van 2 and now 25 nights in van 3, saving lots and lots of hotel bills.

Last edited: