Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter the California’s Achilles Heel

As the temperatures drop and the weather becomes less friendly, the nights are closing in, getting away in the California is less appealing...

Not so bad when I’m camping by myself, the Cali has enough room to be comfortable.
However, as a family I do yearn for a bit more space. In the evenings sitting out is no longer practical, the old days of hitting the pubs, are a no go. Little JJ needs to be in bed, so mum and dad are confined to the van and it’s at this stage conversation goes back to a bigger vehicle with more inside living space...

These challenges don’t exist in summer, we are outside, enjoying ourselves.
We like to get away throughout the year, the advantages of the Cali are many, but we all know the disadvantages too.

So I’m seriously considering a bigger unit, or perhaps something we can tow during the winter months...?

What’s your experiences, bigger vans, towing etc etc...?
View attachment 51375
Hi
We are just recovering from the same problem!
A year ago we decided that something bigger was required for winter breaks, our T5.1 180dsg was swapped for an Autosleeper Stanton, Mercedes auto 163bhp.
Driving was as good as could be expected and very comfortable on pitch.
Build quality to caravan standards!☹️
These vehicles are very much one trick ponies.
Too much money to leave on the drive for long periods.
Have to agree with the view of either towing, maybe a Knaus Travelino, or cottages and lodges in winter.
We've returned to the fold with a T6 Ocean and couldn't be happier.
Quite an expensive experience and not to be recommended!
Stick with the Cali

Well...
Having just returned home from a day out at the Motorhome and Caravan show.
We looked around various vehicles and vans and have come to the conclusion the California is still the happy medium.

Bigger, most definitely isn’t better...!!!
Infact, a lot of the vans actually felt smaller even though they were much larger vehicles.
A fixed bed is obviously better, but everything else felt cramped and compromised.

Two standouts for us were the Barefoot trailer and a coach built Chauuson.

just had two damp nights away - dark cosy and warm catching upon some dvd box sets after dark the van still works for us.

Three days up to Glasgow and back.

First day was to Tewkesbury. Floods and heavy rain. Camp site was crowded with all the grass areas closed down. I got a lovely pitch, yards from the loo, small little corner hardstanding. Anything longer than 7m would not fit. The rain hammered down, with my proximity to the loo it was just a dash, warm, dry, cosy.... ALFIE I LOVE YOU!

2nd Day ... Moffat. Cold! Very wet. They found me a place even nearer to the Loo, much nearer and I would have been parked under the dishwashing area cover .... Wonderful. My baked cod in creamy sauce with fresh green leaves tasted deliciously wonderful. Felt even more snug and even more .... ALFIE I LOVE YOU!

3rd day. Drive to University of Glasgow medical school sports lab. 3 hours of being beasted, part of a clinical trial studying muscle wastage in wrinklies. Then the long, long drag home. By the time I was close to the 16 mile roadworks on the M6 I was wasted despite the sheer driving quality of the vehicle. Pull over into Sandwich services, rang a pub ...."can a small camper overnight in your car park?".... "of course love, bit crowded tonight, we'll keep a corner space by the canal bank"... only just fitted in. That night, a glass of wine, gorgeous dinner, nice chat to one of the staff, back to the van tired, happy, comfortable and cosy, wrapped myself up in my duvet and slept and slept .... ALFIE! I LOVE YOU! DON'T EVER LEAVE ME!

Today, the last 260 miles home, torrential rain, biblical at times, roads awash, Alfie stable, safe, comfortable, just a feeling of total confidence in being looked after.

Really, the driving comfort, the quality of interior, the pocket size, the get in anywhere..... the sheer feeling of being in a self-contained throughly secure and reliable nest ... A cali is unbeatable.

Last edited:

First day was to Tewkesbury. Floods and heavy rain. Camp site was crowded with all the grass areas closed down. I got a lovely pitch, yards from the loo, small little corner hardstanding. Anything longer than 7m would not fit. The rain hammered down, with my proximity to the loo it was just a dash, warm, dry, cosy.... ALFIE I LOVE YOU!

2nd Day ... Moffat. Cold! Very wet. They found me a place even nearer to the Loo, much nearer and I would have been parked under the dishwashing are cover .... Wonderful. My baked cod in creamy sauce with fresh green leaves tasted deliciously wonderful. Felt even more snug and even more .... ALFIE I LOVE YOU!

3rd day. Drive to University of Glasgow medical school sports lab. 3 hours of being beasted, part of a clinical trial studying muscle wastage in wrinklies. Then the long, long drag home. By the time I was close to the 16 mile roadworks on the M6 I was wasted despite the sheer driving quality of the vehicle. Pull over into Sandwich services, rang a pub ...."can a small camper overnight in your car park?".... "of course love, bit crowded tonight, we'll keep a corner space by the canal bank"... only just fitted in. That night, a glass of wine, gorgeous dinner, nice chat to one of the staff, back to the van tired, happy, comfortable and cosy, wrapped myself up in my duvet and slept and slept .... ALFIE! I LOVE YOU! DON'T EVER LEAVE ME!

Today, the last 260 miles home, torrential rain, biblical at times, roads awash, Alfie stable, safe, comfortable, just a feeling of total confidence in being looked after.

Really, the driving comfort, the quality of interior, the pocket size, the get in anywhere..... the sheer feeling of being in a self-contained throughly secure and reliable nest ... A cali is unbeatable.
You didn’t cook in the Van? Oh my! Did you use the water tank as well?

You didn’t cook in the Van? Oh my! Did you use the water tank as well?

If you read my post I did cook in the van, two nights out of three.and I did use the water in the tank for washing both me and the dishes. I have never ever had problems with cooking in the van, its one of the great delights of having a Cali, but it was equally delightful on the third night to pull into a pub stop and to say "to hell with my diet"!! :shocked

Well...
Having just returned home from a day out at the Motorhome and Caravan show.
We looked around various vehicles and vans and have come to the conclusion the California is still the happy medium.

Bigger, most definitely isn’t better...!!!
Infact, a lot of the vans actually felt smaller even though they were much larger vehicles.
A fixed bed is obviously better, but everything else felt cramped and compromised.

Two standouts for us were the Barefoot trailer and a coach built Chauuson.
We did something similar when deciding whether to continue down the VW route from our T5 conversion. We were quite keen on the smaller WildAx and Fife vans. As I use the van for work a couple of days a week we didn't want anything much bigger. After much thought we went for the Ocean. I think in 10 years, as we approach retirement we'll reconsider something bigger as longer trips will be possible.

If you read my post I did cook in the van, two nights out of three.and I did use the water in the tank for washing both me and the dishes. I have never ever had problems with cooking in the van, its one of the great delights of having a Cali, but it was equally delightful on the third night to pull into a pub stop and to say "to hell with my diet"!! :shocked
I know. :thumb Touch of sarcasm. You’ll have the “ Never cook in the Van “ brigade after you.

Cali is perfect for us. If we were to go bigger, it would be a Hymer

You could buy a roll of YBS Multifoil roof insulation at £75 plus VAT, cut out an exterior blanket and still be left with half a roll of foil for your loft. It definitely keeps you warm at night even if the temperature drops to zero.
Is it tough? does it make annoying noises in the wind?

I know. :thumb Touch of sarcasm. You’ll have the “ Never cook in the Van “ brigade after you.

I got it :D

However, I do have some sympathy with the fried onion person.

On my very first trip I prepared a lot of veggies at home, packed into airtight containers, and off I went.

Second night, definitely steak night, and I just adore fried onions ... and I had a load of chopped raw onions I a sealed bag.

Out they came, into the frying pan.... gorgeous.... until the next day, and the next, and the end of the week ..... month ...... nothing but nothing short of setting fire to the van could get rid of the smell. Never again.

2nd Day ... Moffat. Cold! Very wet. They found me a place even nearer to the Loo, much nearer and I would have been parked under the dishwashing area cover .... Wonderful. My baked cod in creamy sauce with fresh green leaves tasted deliciously wonderful. Felt even more snug and even more .... ALFIE I LOVE YOU!

I just missed you then Jen, I had been wild camping at grey mares tail (close to Moffat), moved into to Glenshee and had gorgeous sunshine!

I just missed you then Jen, I had been wild camping at grey mares tail (close to Moffat), moved into to Glenshee and had gorgeous sunshine!

Had I arrived earlier and the rain been less than horizontal I would have probably caught up with you at Grey Mares Tail, it was on my "possible" itinerary. Lovely part of the world.

The campsites closed, but they allow a handful of vans on the top carpark.
No facilities, apart from a toilet.

Excellent. You put me to shame. We just had a couple of nights up at Skipton in an hotel. Not a very nice room, food was ok, althought the second night my wife cooked in the van up on the moors. That is where we got stuck in the mud.

Next time We will stay in the van for sure.

We always cook in the van. No problems.