Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

FraRon charger

What's the obsession with junction boxes? Ideally if the cable reaches the leisure battery then connect it direct as it states on the leaflet.

Likewise with the second cable. The charger provides two outputs so I connected mine to the starter battery so it charges both up on mains power.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Appreciate you coming back so quick. My obsession with juction boxes (or relay box) is that I have one sitting attached to the wall with lots of cables coming out of it.

As you say, I will ignore this box and run the cable direct to the leisure battery terminal. I agree this does make more sense.

Work on the basis that you know much more about auto electrics than I do, so how do I connect the second cable to the starter battery?

Appreciate you coming back so quick. My obsession with juction boxes (or relay box) is that I have one sitting attached to the wall with lots of cables coming out of it.

As you say, I will ignore this box and run the cable direct to the leisure battery terminal. I agree this does make more sense.

Work on the basis that you know much more about auto electrics than I do, so how do I connect the second cable to the starter battery?

No worries,

Try and find your split charge relay. The one for the exclusive is just next to the charger. The double wire comes from the starter battery so I connected the positive from the second output to there and the negative to the chassis.

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

ArticMatt you are a star. Cannot check my van electrics at the moment, but I think that the box in your photo is the one I'm calling a 'junction box'. Will come back tomorrow. Appreciate your advise and knowledge.

Well, well. I now know what my ‘junction box’ is – its a split charge relay – same as yours. Yours looks like it is screwed to the floor and mine is attached to the wall.

I have shown a photo of the chassis under the fridge which is just above the wheel arch. Looks like some cables are already earthed there. Is this where I should connect the second output negative?

Again, I really appreciate your help and advice – and patience.

my relay box.jpg

van frame for neg termination.jpg

No worries,

Try and find your split charge relay. The one for the exclusive is just next to the charger. The double wire comes from the starter battery so I connected the positive from the second output to there and the negative to the chassis.

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr
Matt, just a question on routing the second feed to the starter battery, does it not matter if the leisure and starter batteries are puff different types?
It was for this reason I hesitated to connect up the fraron to the starter too...
Cheers
Matt

I think the second output (starter battery) will be s much less complex circuit so suitable for a lead acid lump.

Well, well. I now know what my ‘junction box’ is – its a split charge relay – same as yours. Yours looks like it is screwed to the floor and mine is attached to the wall.

I have shown a photo of the chassis under the fridge which is just above the wheel arch. Looks like some cables are already earthed there. Is this where I should connect the second output negative?

Again, I really appreciate your help and advice – and patience.

View attachment 38465

View attachment 38466
That bottom photo is a shunt resistor that the controller uses to calculate current for the controller. I couldnt find the shunt in mine thats a handy photo. One side of that shunt will go to the battery and the other to the chassis so pick the chassis side for the negative connection.

:pinkbananaThat’s the earth shunt the 5s know and love

Matt, just a question on routing the second feed to the starter battery, does it not matter if the leisure and starter batteries are puff different types?
It was for this reason I hesitated to connect up the fraron to the starter too...
Cheers
Matt
The manual says for the gel setting:
"Switch position for charging sealed GEL batteries and for
closed lead acid batteries (maintenance free WET batteries where no
Water can be refilled)"
So if your starter battery is a bog standard wet cell then you'll be fine.

Hello Matt, What is the down side of not connecting up the starter battery to the Fraron? I feel as if I am out of my depth here.
It's certainly not the end of the world. It's just an added bonus. The original charger never charged the starter battery. Mine had an extra charger hooked up in the front foot well so it meant I could remove that one. When you are on mains hook up you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally draining the starter too. I live in sub zero temps and it keeps both of mine in tip top shape with minimal fuss.

Hello Matt, What is the down side of not connecting up the starter battery to the Fraron? I feel as if I am out of my depth here.
Where are you based? If it’s anywhere near Ox/Bucks I could pop in and help.

Hello sidepod, I'm in Offley, which is North Herts. Maybe not so far away – is it?
Ok I work in MK so not the end of the world. PM me your email etc.

Offley, I’m Breachwood Green... Nice to see another local Bus!

It's certainly not the end of the world. It's just an added bonus. The original charger never charged the starter battery. Mine had an extra charger hooked up in the front foot well so it meant I could remove that one. When you are on mains hook up you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally draining the starter too. I live in sub zero temps and it keeps both of mine in tip top shape with minimal fuss.

Hello Matt, I always wondered if the orginal charger actually charged the starter battery. Now I know it didn't.

Think I will start with the connection of the Fraron to the leisure battery before having a go at linking it to the starter battery.

I can see that living in sub zero temperatures you need to have everything functioning, plus backups. Could be a matter of life or death sometimes.

Didn't realise that when on mains hook up that the starter battery could be drained. Is that only if it is linked to the Fraron?

Do appreciate your advice and practical wisdom. Regards, Gordon

Hello Matt, I always wondered if the orginal charger actually charged the starter battery. Now I know it didn't.

Think I will start with the connection of the Fraron to the leisure battery before having a go at linking it to the starter battery.

I can see that living in sub zero temperatures you need to have everything functioning, plus backups. Could be a matter of life or death sometimes.

Didn't realise that when on mains hook up that the starter battery could be drained. Is that only if it is linked to the Fraron?

I think you may have misunderstood, mains hookup won’t cause a drain on the starter battery. It is isolated from the leisure services via the split charge relay.

Perhaps what was inferred is that standing for periods unused (on mains hook up) will result in a flat starter battery.

Hello sidepod, I'm guessing PM stands for 'private message'. Can't see how I do that. I will if I can find out how.
Private messaging is between VIP members only, you won't have the option to "start a conversation"(PM) if you are not a VIP member. :thumb

I think you may have misunderstood, mains hookup won’t cause a drain on the starter battery. It is isolated from the leisure services via the split charge relay.

Perhaps what was inferred is that standing for periods unused (on mains hook up) will result in a flat starter battery.

OK, I understand. Regards, Gordon

Private messaging is between VIP members only, you won't have the option to "start a conversation"(PM) if you are not a VIP member. :thumb

OK Larry. I'm not a VIP member yet. Having difficulty with logging in. Something wrong with my password and then my email address is not being recognised. Have contacted someone. Hopefully will sort this out soon and then become a VIP member. Thanks for the info. Gordon

Fingers crossed the starter battery should be fine but I like to leave the radio on sometimes and it's easy to leave a light on in the front. Call it paranoia but I found it better to have both linked up and charged.

Back