Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free Data Plug

Hadn't seen this thread but was in the service department of my local dealer (the same service dept look after cars and vans) and saw a poster for it. They gave me one for my car. I asked if it would work in my Cali and was told that it would be year before it would and it would be the next generation of transporter. <sigh>

Does the app support multiple vehicles (if you more than one data plug)

I don't know for sure, but in the settings, it does have a drop down for Known Dataplugs. So maybe that's where you would find additional cars?

Looks like we have a winner!!

Well driven mate..

I have it and use it on the Cali (2017 T6). I really like it - it monitors my mileage, fuel in the tank, reminds me when the Cali is due a service - all on my phone. Where I really use it, though, is for each trip - it monitors my driving style (accelerating, braking, use of gears, coolant temperature, speed) and gives me a score for each trip (in percentage format). As you can imagine, it leads to great competition between myself and other half! Some people might not find it interesting but we love it.
Hi where abouts on the Cali T6 is the port located?

By your right knee

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just a random thought (as someone who had a car pinched after the thieves disabled the immobiliser via the OBD port): could an enterprising hacker gain access to the vehicle's locking and immobiliser systems through this plug by using a Bluetooth enabled Smartphone?

Just a random thought (as someone who had a car pinched after the thieves disabled the immobiliser via the OBD port): could an enterprising hacker gain access to the vehicle's locking and immobiliser systems through this plug by using a Bluetooth enabled Smartphone?
Unless the vehicle OBD Bluetooth is set to only open to your specified smartphone I'd agree that's a possibility.
:mute If Hackers can get into 'secure' systems you have a valid concern there.

Just reading the VW Connect web site it says "Your digital vehicle log records all your journeys from start to finish, together with the data, time, duration, route taken and cost per journey...."
If it logs the route does it have a built in GPS or does it pick that up from the vehicle.
Can anyone offer feedback

Just reading the VW Connect web site it says "Your digital vehicle log records all your journeys from start to finish, together with the data, time, duration, route taken and cost per journey...."
If it logs the route does it have a built in GPS or does it pick that up from the vehicle.
Think it uses the phones location.

It uses the gps from your phone as it gathers data from the vehicle and combines it with gps data from the phone through the app and sends that all back over your phones data connection.

Dropped in an email to the dealer "are you giving them away?" Reply " yes sir, we are, come and collect one tomorrow"

Loving the data that it provides on the driving style etc. When I am driving it gives me a good score ... when I get ACC take control, it tells me I am a bad driver

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The obd port is "powered" only when the ignition is on. Hence the possibility of what you describe is zero. Afaik, the tools that thieves use (and similarly the workshop tools) needs them to open the car and then disable/reprogram the immobilizer using a powered tool that can send commands to the system and enable reprogramming.

Once the thieves open the car, then they can do a lot of things anyways. :|

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

just had a card in the post from VW about our Tiguan and the offer of a free fitting of a data plug to monitor performance etc with what seems a clever app.

No reason to see why this won’t be a good idea with the Cali, anyone know if it’s planned?

just had a card in the post from VW about our Tiguan and the offer of a free fitting of a data plug to monitor performance etc with what seems a clever app.

No reason to see why this won’t be a good idea with the Cali, anyone know if it’s planned?
Hi
They are already available free. Just ask at a Dealer. Fitting takes about 2 seconds , you just plug it in !
Ask a VW car dealer though as most of the Van dealers don't seem to know what it is

I fitted one from one of my cars into my bus. It's full of driving chalanges.

Sounds like a useful bit of kit - will see if my van dealer can post me one.

I was given one of these...the technician looked at me oddly when I declined it as useless to me, then I showed him my phone;)

It's no big deal really it's just a plug in that allows VW to monitor driving styles. It's also fairly useful as you can book services through the app. It's clever enough to know just how much fuel I have on board and when levels need adjusting.

It does follow you via GPS and they disguise it by playing lots of driving chalanges you get trophies for green driving. It shows you your parking spot if your out and about on a map.

It will more than likley be a research tool for VW to see if they can get away with less quality on some engine components.

I use the data plug from almost the start last November. I like the part that saves your trips and we're you can add information of refuelling. after a while it can provide information about fuel costs for a trip - interesting (even though it is only the cost of fuel not the real cost per km).
It can be helpful to monitor where the car is parked, and give some statistics. The challenges are OK. One can believe VW collects data, but also it can prove my point that I look after the van and drive careful.

For free it is good, in Ireland VW charge ~50 Euro. I bought it for my Tiguan some time ago, today I would not spend this kind of money for it.

An app update early this year deleted all data before the update and changed the statistics, which I don't like now. Backup of the Data from the app on my Samsung s7 is not working.

Eberhard

Back