Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh Water Capacity

nickdrums

nickdrums

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Soon I will have my solar panel fitted, which takes me another step towards self sufficiency off the grid. It seems now that the clear limiting factor is fresh water which I find only lasts a couple of days. Just wondering how people have solved this.

It does strike me that the gas cylinder is taking up a significant amount of water tank space - has anyone looked into replacing the factory water tank with one which fills the space, and relocating the gas cylinder - maybe into the bottom of the wardrobe?

Or do people just take a big extra water tank with them and refill from that?

Good luck replacing the watertank ....make sure you take pictures how to and post them here....
I would try the other option as in take a jerrycan or botled water.
When driving arround on hollyday you'l find lots of places to get water.

Soon I will have my solar panel fitted, which takes me another step towards self sufficiency off the grid. It seems now that the clear limiting factor is fresh water which I find only lasts a couple of days. Just wondering how people have solved this.

It does strike me that the gas cylinder is taking up a significant amount of water tank space - has anyone looked into replacing the factory water tank with one which fills the space, and relocating the gas cylinder - maybe into the bottom of the wardrobe?

Seems like an extreme solution that would probably put off a buyer should you wish to sell it. For the extra amount of water you’d accommodate I’d say just carry a spare water carrier. If you are doing a proper job, you’d need a sealed container with a bottom vent for the gas.

Yes I suppose the void for the gas cylinder probably only takes up about 10 litres, which isn’t much of an increase on 30 litres out of the factory.

Good luck replacing the watertank ....make sure you take pictures how to and post them here....
I would try the other option as in take a jerrycan or botled water.
When driving arround on hollyday you'l find lots of places to get water.
Yeah I have a jerrycan anyway as we don’t drink the water out of the tap. I guess there are lots of places to fill up, but less so off grid. Maybe I could look at some kind of water purification solution so as to be able to fill up from natural sources.

Taking the wardrobe out is not something to be done lightly!

My extra 10 litres15591603531325986018430593463247.jpg

Apart from crossing the desert I usually find a water supply to top up. Some of the best places off-grid can be the tap at the local graveyard, public loo's

Ask the NASA. They have a system to process astronauts’ urine and sweat into clean drinking water. :happy

The Gaz bottle container is sealed and ventilated at the bottom of it straight through the floor.
If you move the bottle to the wardrobe you will need to seal the container properly but also provide direct ventilation. Don't think that is so easy due to the wheel arch below the wardrobe.

There is a mod to fit a propane tank under the rear of the van ahead of the spare wheel on VWs. it will need a filler available around the side somewhere. That may be an option for you.

Alan

Ah nice - this could work well - hang it from the roof and drain straight into the water tank!

Interesting Meoncoast. Never considered using a graveyard to top up. Have to remember that one.

Hello!
I would like also to fit my california with solar panel, what kind of solar panel did you buy?
Regards Adam

Sorry for the delay - was on holiday. I went for a stick-on panel 150W - was keen on minimising visual impact, and just fit and forget. All seems good so far - just remains to be seen how the solar keeps up with the fridge on a summer trip! The panel was fitted by Rising Sun Campers in Coventry.

Back