Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front seats wont swivel [ Swivelgate ]

Probably the height adjustment part

We have ordered comfort seats as well, we are due to pick up on March 1st There is no mention that these do not swivel in the brochure, are you sure they dod not swivel? Has anyone actually got comfort seats that can confirm this?????

We have ordered comfort seats as well, we are due to pick up on March 1st There is no mention that these do not swivel in the brochure, are you sure they dod not swivel? Has anyone actually got comfort seats that can confirm this?????
See 1st post of this thread!

And 8th post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very sure heated seats swivel, but the height adjusting or electric adjusting (which probably also allows height adj) makes them non swivel.

I am confused

1. why would VW even have an option for a campervan that sleeps 4 where the seats do not swivel, what is a family of four suposed to do at dinner time? Playing games?

2. If this is correct what people are saying, why is there not a warning in the brochure/price list?

3. I can imagine this will chop a £1000+ off the resale price when it comes to selling and will limit the market.

In the german, austrian and swedish configurator chosing comfort seats it says non rotatable.
The swedish market sells 10 calis a year and we have a configurator but not uk?

After market swivels work well with height adjustable seats but Vw should get their act together.

My original vehicle has been 'de-tagged' & will be absorbed by VW Commercials nationwide stock.

Anyone looking for a pre-registered T6 from VW Commercials need to check the spec they are looking at 1st question "do the front seats rotate?"

Sorry but when the order was placed, these items should have been sorted out, and the manufacturer cannot be blamed. That is what you ordered and that is what you received. Sorry

John
I think that's harsh. VW were happy to take orders before they had their act together with brochures and price lists. As T5's were no longer available, it was fair for folks to order T6's.
The images in the brochures and website show swivelled seats and therefore the options list should have clearly stated that the 'upgrades' lost the swivels.
I wouldn't be surprised if the options are withdrawn as soon as VW wake up, as a Cali without swivels will be close to unsellable on the used market.

I'd be pushing for VW to supply and fit the correct seats before I took delivery.

In the current California price list, both Front seat package & Premium Front seat package are described as 'not swivelling':

Front seat package. 12-way powered, heated driver comfort seat with powered lumbar support and memory function. – Single heated passenger seat with manual height adjustment and manual lumbar support. Not swivelling.

Premium front seat package. 12-way powered, heated driver and front passenger comfort seats with powered lumbar supports – and driver seat memory function. Not swivelling.

A bit harsh.

The cali options list pre brochure was a nightmare. Yes, we can all be smart and say "we warned you" when hordes were rushing off to order a T6 without seeing it in the flesh or having a brochure, but unless you knew of the VW penchant for confusion and over-complication then caution would not have seemed so necessary.

All the VW photo material for the California show happy smiling faces sat around a table sat in swivelled seats so in my view unless anyone was told specifically "Certain seat options are without swivel capability" then it would be obvious to assume that what was being ordered had the same seat capability that happy smiling family in the brochures portrayed.

Pre brochure I specced up a replacement for Albert. I thought "Electric seats with memory, how lovely. No faffing around rearranging the drivers seat, one press of a button and hey presto! Swivelled seat in time for my first glass of wine". It was only Guy Vincent in Preston that flagged it up.

Total utter disgrace that the brochure does not have a big health warning sign that says "this option does not swivel".

Swivel seats in a camper is normal status. Anything that is at variance to normal expectation should state that variance clearly.

Totally agree . It was Guy who pointed it out to us.
Believe it's also the no cost option " comfort seats" which is problem. Doesn't state can't swivel on this option.
We have just placed an order & asked the dealer to put in it writing
I can confirm that the Comfort seat option shall NOT be ticked and you shall have the swivelling seats.

In the current California price list, both Front seat package & Premium Front seat package are described as 'not swivelling':

Front seat package. 12-way powered, heated driver comfort seat with powered lumbar support and memory function. – Single heated passenger seat with manual height adjustment and manual lumbar support. Not swivelling.

Premium front seat package. 12-way powered, heated driver and front passenger comfort seats with powered lumbar supports – and driver seat memory function. Not swivelling.

I think it's the standard comfort seats option that people have found misleading. This is how they are described in the latest price list.

"Comfort seats. Height-adjustable with lumber support and armrests for driver and front seat passenger"

We collected our new T6 Ocean on Friday and was playing around with the van all day saturday and we are unable to swivel the front seats. We phoned the dealer on Saturday afternoon and spoke to another salesman who looked at our order and said we did not spec for swivel seats. Is swivel seats an option? What can I do? We are a family of 4 and this was a big selling point for us
By all accounts you can't tick all the options boxes - some tick boxes mean you can omit standard equipment if you are not careful. The system seems far more complex than previous Cali orders and the dealer certainly should have guided you in the right direction/and or certainly have gone through your spec in detail prior to placing the order...
I would certainly be having a humour failure with the dealer...

thanks for all the replies so fast.

Yes, we chose the comfort seats as it seemed quite good value, from what you are all saying is giving me a sick feeling :sad

The dealer said the comfort seats are popular and make a big difference, how can you have a campervan without swivel seats????? Where does it say in brochure that comfort seats do not swivel??
Hi Williamson, did you ever get anything sorted? Sure hope you did and you are now 100% happy with you new van!

I raised this as a potential issue with contacts at VW Commercial without mentioning any details as such apart from it has happened and after they had all talked about it they have decided to contact all the van centres and remind them that if you order the comfort seats option they will not swivel and that basically its a pointless for Cali customers (my words not quoted!) The Product team will also bear this in mind when producing the next brochure materials and check carefully for any ambiguity or misinterpretation to avoid this potential issue.
Basically at end of day the salesman / dealership is to blame from what I can see here ....
David

Still no luck with this, the dealer is very sympathetic about it and told us we need to contact VWCS as I am not the only person this has happened too. There are retrofit options but I purchased a California as it is a factory built model, as soon as I starter retro fitting items it become part California, part conversion !!

Still no luck with this, the dealer is very sympathetic about it and told us we need to contact VWCS as I am not the only person this has happened too. There are retrofit options but I purchased a California as it is a factory built model, as soon as I starter retro fitting items it become part California, part conversion !!
I see no reason why they cannot retrofit a set of Swivelling California Seats as per factory, otherwise inform them in writing that you will reject the vehicle as it is not fit for purpose. Do contact VWCS as well.

Really sorry to hear there hasn't been a resolution to this! As Welshgas says I would definitely contact VWCS and raise a case with them. This is probably no constellation but my fingers are crossed that this comes to a happy conclusion for you.

Dealer is sympathetic but telling you to contact VWCS??!!

I would take some legal advice, even if it's only the free advice you can get from the consumer helpline.

On such a huge financial purchase, you should find out exactly where you stand.

Good luck, really feel for you.

Definitely contact VW Customer Service and don't be fobbed off...ask to be referred to a manager not a call centre minion...having raised the issue generically and informally via the Press and PR Dept and had a response there should be people at VW now aware of the situation.
But basically it has to be down to dealer ad sales person who either did not know / realise the seats would not swivel and that it is not really a viable option for anyone wanting to use a California as a camper. This should have been pointed out to you and you should not have had it suggested.

20axef5.jpg

Hi all - is there any follow up on any of this one? Count us in as another devastated victim of the 'Comfort Seat' package with no swivel. This is crazy to me!!

First trip out this weekend in our T6 delivered Monday and reached for the lever (we've had a demo van for a few weeks) to find it missing!! To re-iterate whats been said here already - just can't believe that anybody would have a Cali without this key feature (pull up, pivot around and living space with the kids...) It's half way to being just a regular old car without this...

Our Cali showed up already spec'd by VW and met our criteria exactly with a few extras so we jumped on it, bypassing the wait. I would never have picked up on this with the comfort seat option there on the spec sheet but the catalogue not mentioning anything about missing the swivel. Totally gutted right now - this is a show stopper for us and the van will go back if it can't be resolved.

The dealer is on it as of my panic call today and I have every faith in them, they've been fantastic from start to finish (something I will follow up with in another - more positive - thread..) but they did know about the non swivel it just was never mentioned by them either way.

I'd be keen to know how this can be resolved, stunned to hear that the factory won't replace the seats on half finished models - seems such an easy resolution and worries me of course that it's going to be even harder now. There is a good chance this is the reason we have a Cali to 'somebody' else's spec but not taken...

Mechanically it cannot be a tough fix, I'm open to anything retrofit of replaced seats. I see no reason why after market swivels won't resolve this one but thats for the dealer to recommend. Curious what the difference is with aftermarket vs factory swivels - does anybody know???

I'll be sure to follow up with the outcome...

Thanks

Sounds to me like you have one of those that was rejected because of this. Colour?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back