Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuses

California Bubble

California Bubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all..
Anyone confirm these fuses to be accurate? Reason I ask is that my 12v kettle which used to work perfectly now keeps popping fuse 5. The attached diagram suggests that 5 should be empty and that space 3 contains the fuse for the socket?
Also in space 2 the book says a 3 amp fuse; I checked mine and there is a 15 amp fuse. Technical things, especially Electrics aren't really my thing!

While I'm at it, all of my dashboard lighting failed last night, I assumed it was a fuse, but all the main fuses are in tact. If one dashboard bulb fails, would it black out everything, ie dashboard heater and fan lights?

Thanks in advance!
CB.image.png

I would try and help, but I have absolutely no idea what vehicle you have. Sorry.

I would try and help, but I have absolutely no idea what vehicle you have. Sorry.
Looks like a T4 in his avatar....and posted in T4 technical....where's Dan:bananadance

Hi all..
Anyone confirm these fuses to be accurate? Reason I ask is that my 12v kettle which used to work perfectly now keeps popping fuse 5. The attached diagram suggests that 5 should be empty and that space 3 contains the fuse for the socket?
Also in space 2 the book says a 3 amp fuse; I checked mine and there is a 15 amp fuse. Technical things, especially Electrics aren't really my thing!

While I'm at it, all of my dashboard lighting failed last night, I assumed it was a fuse, but all the main fuses are in tact. If one dashboard bulb fails, would it black out everything, ie dashboard heater and fan lights?

Thanks in advance!
CB.View attachment 14716
Could have been rewired so that when something in the 12v socket blows the fuse then the lights don't go as well.
What size fuse in position 5 and what wattage is the 12v kettle?

A 150w kettle at 12v will require a 15amp fuse.

Have you inadvertently turned the Dashboard lighting rheostat to Off?

It's 1991 2.4 Diesel.
Kettle is 120w; when it blew the last time the interior lights went also!
The fuse in 5 is a 10 amp.

CB

Oh, and of course I checked the rheostat! All of the cockpit lights are out. The dashboard, and the lights behind all the heating switches and cigarette lighter?

CB

I would start from scratch. Go through each Cct and establish what is connected to which fuse.
Once you have a list, make sure each Cct has the correct rating of fuse according to the diagram you posted.

The dash board lighting has nothing to do with the fuse behind the drivers seat.

I have no fuse at all in that position.

I think what has happened is that the fuse holder has been removed at some point (maybe the panel has been removed?). On the back of the fuse holder there are 3 plugs. It is likely that the plugs have not been put in in the right order. What size fuse is in the one below it in position 6? If it is 25amp, then this is what has happened. You can test it by removing the fuse in position 6 and checking if the heater starts.

I'm assuming you plugging the kettle into the 12v socket by the sink.

120w = 10amps@12v. The circuit that supports that socket is supposed to have a 7.5amp fuse. It supports the lighting circuit too, so combined 12v socket and lights should not exceed 7.5amps. I'd put the correct fuse in and get a less powerful kettle :)

Thanks for the link Welsh Gas... I changed the headlight switch/rheostat and this solved the dashboard lighting problem...

The fuses are still a work in progress..

Thanks for everyone's input! It's appreciated.

CB

Back