Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gap between Windscreen and Dash that swallows cards and money.

Mine arrived today. Excellent

Mike

Thanks for the replies re the piece of foam. Had a better look this morning and the purpose of it does seem as suggested to tuck tickets into etc.
I've ordered the strip that goes in the gap and shall probably fit that in its place.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We bought one of the black rubber strips from ebay and cut it to fit either side of the foam (Mr B saved the bit he cut off and kept it in the garage). In the heat of the last few days, the rubber strip has expanded slightly which has resulted in the foam strip becoming unstuck. When we looked closer it's just a small piece of foam attached with double sided tape. We've now removed it and Mr B filled the gap with the rubber he had (fortunately) saved!

I used to work for an insulation company so knew of this stuff. I used 15mm and for £3.48 loads left to fill gaps around the house etc. The pictures show it in various stages. Gently ease in with the plastic handle of a pair of scissors and eventually its almost out of sight. Job done. Very tidy when finished and invisible.

e bay description "EVERBUILD JOINT BACKER ROD POLYTHYLENE FOAM FLEXIBLE FILLER FRAME 10MTR ROLL" or similar.

Cali Gap Fill - 1.jpg Cali Gap Fill - 2.jpg

Am I missing something here? Our 'windsreen gap' has a function - it's where the bottom edge of the grey fabric windscreen blind fits to hold it in place. The blind has a length of (presumably) plastic/rubber tube stitched into it, for the purpose.

If I plugged up the gap, the blind would just have to drape itself over the top of the dashboard, no?

Am I missing something here? Our 'windsreen gap' has a function - it's where the bottom edge of the grey fabric windscreen blind fits to hold it in place. The blind has a length of (presumably) plastic/rubber tube stitched into it, for the purpose.

If I plugged up the gap, the blind would just have to drape itself over the top of the dashboard, no?

Dad, yours must be different. Mine fits in those two round holes you can see in the photograph. Well well away from the Mind The Gap.

Yes. But at least you won't loose anything down the gap.

Dad, yours must be different. Mine fits in those two round holes you can see in the photograph. Well well away from the Mind The Gap.
The T5 version has a weighted curtain for the windscreen that hangs from the sun visor. More robust in my opinion.

I found an online store last year http://www.themetalhouse.co.uk/ and if you ring the owner Joshua Lewis 07891 663190 he will be able to suggest the perfect moulded rubber to fit in the gap. He had a T5 himself and bought a T6 a while ago so was able to test the best fitting piece from his stock.
I think, from memory, it was about £5 plus postage. I thought there was talk of selling it in the Forum shop.
Simon

The T5 version has a weighted curtain for the windscreen that hangs from the sun visor. More robust in my opinion.

Yes probably more robust, but I'm not particularly impressed by the way the T5 blind works in practice. You are supposed to stuff the bottom edge of the blind into that windscreen 'Gap of No Return' (GONR) which if it worked properly would keep the blind more or less forward against the windscreen even though not fully taut.

In practice (on our van anyway) the blind 'weight' (a stitched-in rubber tube along the bottom edge) is slightly too large to fit into the GONR along most of its length - only at the ends. So the blind just ends up hanging curtain-like from the sun visors then draped over the top of the dashboard at its bottom.

Okay, first-world problem, I know. But if there was a neater, better all-round solution I would go for it... however I'm not so keen on external screen covers, and the after-market internal ones look a bit of a faff.

We almost never stay for more than one night in any one place (I know, I know) so having quick and easy windscreen blind would be great.

Sorry for going off-topic from the GONR itself.

Yes probably more robust, but I'm not particularly impressed by the way the T5 blind works in practice. You are supposed to stuff the bottom edge of the blind into that windscreen 'Gap of No Return' (GONR) which if it worked properly would keep the blind more or less forward against the windscreen even though not fully taut.

In practice (on our van anyway) the blind 'weight' (a stitched-in rubber tube along the bottom edge) is slightly too large to fit into the GONR along most of its length - only at the ends. So the blind just ends up hanging curtain-like from the sun visors then draped over the top of the dashboard at its bottom.

Okay, first-world problem, I know. But if there was a neater, better all-round solution I would go for it... however I'm not so keen on external screen covers, and the after-market internal ones look a bit of a faff.

We almost never stay for more than one night in any one place (I know, I know) so having quick and easy windscreen blind would be great.

Sorry for going off-topic from the GONR itself.
I don't use the top of the Dashboard when pitched up so just let the curtain hang.

Yep GM. Same on mine a T6. Dad has aT5 so not got blinds like ours.

Mike

What did you do with the piece of foam where the VIM is? Taken it off? (got my rubber from Vanstyle but could only install it till the foam properly)

What did you do with the piece of foam where the VIM is? Taken it off? (got my rubber from Vanstyle but could only install it till the foam properly)

Remove the foam, and then trim the end of the rubber with a sharp knife to get a perfect fit across the screen.

Remove the foam, and then trim the end of the rubber with a sharp knife to get a perfect fit across the screen.
Interestingly, it seems the foam piece is there to prevent distracting the driver from the reflection from the small VIN number plate ... who knew that was a thing.

The rubber strip will take the place of that foam piece anyways.

If anyone uses the internal Brandrup Isolite screen cover - hold off stuffing foam into the gap as the bottom of the cover slips into that space.

Back