Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ten things I hate about my Cali

Unfortunately to sterilise the tank I disconnected and removed the level device to put my steriliser in. I did go back to check it was reconnected properly and that the float wasn't fouled on anything but all was okay. But still flashing.

The grey water tank isn't showing any level but I guess that one just shows when it's full!
maybe it has stored the fault and the CP just needs the faults clearing?

Unfortunately to sterilise the tank I disconnected and removed the level device to put my steriliser in. I did go back to check it was reconnected properly and that the float wasn't fouled on anything but all was okay. But still flashing.

The grey water tank isn't showing any level but I guess that one just shows when it's full!
As @Loz said. If the Control Panel was ON when you disconnected the sensor then the fault may be stored.
Control Panel ON - Press and Hold R lower button and then press the Control Button. New menu is displayed - Scroll down to Volgswagen/Diagnostics. Any Codes shown? If so take a note and then Clear codes.
Switch OFF Control Panel L Lower button. Wait 30 secs and switch On Control Panel. Fault cleared?

As @Loz said. If the Control Panel was ON when you disconnected the sensor then the fault may be stored.
Control Panel ON - Press and Hold R lower button and then press the Control Button. New menu is displayed - Scroll down to Volgswagen/Diagnostics. Any Codes shown? If so take a note and then Clear codes.
Switch OFF Control Panel L Lower button. Wait 30 secs and switch On Control Panel. Fault cleared?
Thanks for this. It's too late tonight but I will try tomorrow

I have finally discovered something about our T6 Beach which displeases me. Being one of advancing years my eyesight in gloomy environments could be better. I discovered that this can present a problem if you need to use the hazard lights in a hurry and can't remember where the switch is. I went through that WTF is it moment whilst searching the expanse of black plastic dash in the gloom of a winters evening. In that light the little red symbol just doesn't stick out at all. All my previous cars have had some form of large red button or switch which stood out like a sore thumb. The one on our Beach looks to me like an apologetic after thought.

Interested to know what people use their useless cup holder for?
I keep a tennis ball in mine.
I don't use it much, but it fits!
I bought a mini speaker and it fits perfectly in the cup holder slot, along with recharge cables for that and my portable camping light. Don't miss not having a useful cupholder now...

I have finally discovered something about our T6 Beach which displeases me. Being one of advancing years my eyesight in gloomy environments could be better. I discovered that this can present a problem if you need to use the hazard lights in a hurry and can't remember where the switch is. I went through that WTF is it moment whilst searching the expanse of black plastic dash in the gloom of a winters evening. In that light the little red symbol just doesn't stick out at all. All my previous cars have had some form of large red button or switch which stood out like a sore thumb. The one on our Beach looks to me like an apologetic after thought.
Totally agree - it wasn't the hazard lights I was looking for, but was having trying to control the vents / heating controls when van was quite damp due to dogs / weather / wet clothes recently and the way the dashboard is designed that area is totally in the dark...

No one in the passenger seat? The seatbelt buckle will tap annoyingly on the plastic covering of the door pillar... so I HAVE to reach across and tuck it behind the armrest.
Now where's that other little clicking coming from? Can't quite pinpoint it... Beginning to get obsessive?

Last edited:
if you need to use the hazard lights in a hurry and can't remember where the switch is... searching the expanse of black plastic dash... All my previous cars have had some form of large red button or switch which stood out like a sore thumb.
Yes - I had several "moments" when I wanted the warning lights in a hurry & couldn't find the switch.
As a temporary improvement, I stuck a couple of bright yellow stickers on the switch (not covering the illuminated triangle):
mAwDKm.jpg

Not very pretty but reasonably effective...

Another niggle is that the lock & unlock buttons on the remote are too similar & I can never remember which is which (maybe this should be in the "Senior moments" thread?) - other cars have had distinctive shapes/feels for these buttons.
And, of course, the buttons should be sunken to prevent accidental activation in pockets.

Last edited:
Yes - I had several "moments" when I wanted the warning lights in a hurry & couldn't find the switch.
As a temporary improvement, I stuck a couple of bright yellow stickers on the switch (not covering the illuminated triangle):
yellow_zpsq3dg22wu.jpg

Not very pretty but reasonably effective...

Another niggle is that the lock & unlock buttons on the remote are too similar & I can never remember which is which (maybe this should be in the "Senior moments" thread?) - other cars have had distinctive shapes/feels for these buttons.
And, of course, the buttons should be sunken to prevent accidental activation in pockets.
Brilliant! The ears have it.

Was a bit concerned about the glass tops of cooker and fridge but fitted the clubs stainless steel worktops and have to say brilliant. Lost little daylight when up but well worth it. Just wish the fabric on the roof could be designed to fold inwards as I am sure it would be an easy mod, especially if they made the roof from carbon fibre.
Apart from that nothing to hate and love it!

It would be nice to pick which side the sliding door and kitchen etc. is fitted. We don't turn the drivers seat much as it is a faff, so would prefer the kitchen behind the drivers side like it is in mainland Europe. Also the sliding door would then be on the nearside, easier and safer access.

Also the sliding door would then be on the nearside, easier and safer access.
Only in the U.K.
I think if you do a lot of touring in Europe then it is probably safer where it is.

Anyway, if it was on the other side you couldn't upset the C&C wardens by ignoring their pitch rules.

It would be nice to pick which side the sliding door and kitchen etc. is fitted. We don't turn the drivers seat much as it is a faff, so would prefer the kitchen behind the drivers side like it is in mainland Europe. Also the sliding door would then be on the nearside, easier and safer access.
Think of the plus points.....RHD in Europe means you can gauge how close you are to the ditch.......

Only in the U.K.
I think if you do a lot of touring in Europe then it is probably safer where it is.

Anyway, if it was on the other side you couldn't upset the C&C wardens by ignoring their pitch rules.
True, be nice to have the choice though.

YES Thank you.

Didn't mess with anything but saw second battery. Is there something useful there?

IMG_3029.JPG The one thing I find poorly designed is the fact on a T6 the California badge is obscured by the bike rack when fitted. Considering how well designed it is I think this is a bit of an oversight!

Like your Reg no :thumb

View attachment 18069 The one thing I find poorly designed is the fact on a T6 the California badge is obscured by the bike rack when fitted. Considering how well designed it is I think this is a bit of an oversight!
Not a problem on the T5 so obviously the Designers don't talk to each other.

So far there is nothing I hate, but one thing I'd like to be able to do with the manual selector. If we get any winter conditions I'd like to be able to select 2nd gear manually when pulling away rather than 1st but the selector will not allow 2nd to be selected. Still not read the whole manual yet so, are there any settings to enable this?
May be the winter tyres or am I being optimistic.

...message ends...

So far there is nothing I hate, but one thing I'd like to be able to do with the manual selector. If we get any winter conditions I'd like to be able to select 2nd gear manually when pulling away rather than 1st but the selector will not allow 2nd to be selected. Still not read the whole manual yet so, are there any settings to enable this?
May be the winter tyres or am I being optimistic.

...message ends...
Unlikely as the mechatronics takes its que from throttle position and wheel speed (calculating torque) so with a light touch it's difficult to convince it to shift.

I've tried to get my Stronic to do the same, it's not easy.

1. No cup holders to be seen (apart from the one under the bench seat that you can't use)
2. Getting stuff in and out of the wardrobe
3. The upstairs has no heating
4. The front seats aren't electric with memory for different drivers
5. The third seat option is a complete waste of time unless you're under 2' tall
6. The beds, particularly the downstairs require additional support for comfort
7. The EHU doesn't have a built in lead like the vacuum cleaner with an auto wind up function
8. Constantly telling people 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs can be easily accommodated
9. Having to rely on the forum as the manuals and dealers "could be better"
10. Packing up to go home.

The Cali is a great vehicle but I'm sure everyone has their pet hates. Here's mine.
  1. The (SE) table rattles if not located properly, and Mrs can't locate it properly
  2. Fuel filler flap is easily caught and can get damaged on handbag when Mrs gets out
  3. Water drips on the window switches if a front window is opened in the rain
  4. Things disappear down the gap between the dash and windscreen
  5. Getting out in the cold to turn the gas on/off
  6. ..... I'll have to come back when I think of the rest! 5 things are enough to start!
I realise that No 1 & 2 could be fixed by dumping the Mrs, but I need her to go out to turn the gas on/off :D
re #4 martin kinsey on facebook t5 forum sells a rubber strip for £15 that is perfect for filling the gaps

Back