Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas fail. Help in France!

Simon Kelly

Simon Kelly

Peebs
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
A day into a fortnight in France and my gas has failed. I changed the bottle before I left as I though it was empty (which surprised me as it wasn‘t that old) and when I checked the new bottle the hob pressure was fine. A day in and the pressure is varying between very low and zero flame. Im clearly not going to be able to order a replacement on line and the VW regulator is bespoke. Anyone changed their regulator on road before? Any advice for france? I’ve looked through the threads and guess I could make the change to the standard regulator? For which I’m guessing a decent french camping shop will have all the parts? A bit tricky on the road with no access to more than the basic tools. Any advice out there?
......regretting only bringing a single portable hob and not the double.

Are you talking the build in gas hobs ?
Have you cleaned the gas hobs , there might be ubstructing something where the gas comes out at the hob itself ?
Have you detached and putted whole system (botlle and regulator )together again the check seals are ok ?
Are you sure the botlle itself is full and ok ?

Initially I'd look for a VW Commercial Garage for help or one of the many Motorhome dealer sites (Campingcar in France).
Some years ago when I had a 'Great White' with a gas leak I called into a Campingcar dealer site, they sorted it out and refused any payment, mid Brittany.

Why not go to a nearby Decathlon, buy another cheap gas stove and worry about this when you get back.

This does have the potential to take up your holiday in trailing round dealers etc - what is the fun in that?.

(Suggest disconnect the gas & seal it with the little cap so no dangers of leaks)

Have you cleaned the gas hobs , there might be ubstructing something where the gas comes out at the hob itself ?
Have you detached and putted whole system (botlle and regulator )together again the check seals are ok ?

He's talking about the regulator, which is the part between the gas tank itself and the gas hose.
Gas-Regulator.jpg

From a safety point, I'd buy another portable stove and use them instead. They will always be handy in the future.
It may be a leak somewhere downstream of your regulator and can get it fully checked out when back home.
Thankfully I have a single portable hob.

Could it be outside temperature related?
It’s about 10 degrees. Worked to boil the kettle for breakfast then failed again an hour or two later! It seems to be hit and miss so temperature doesn’t seem to be a factor.

All done. Haven’t disconnected the hose at all points from the van though.

I had exactly the same issue you speak of, turned out to be faulty regulator. Forum shop sells this specific regulator for c£30; perhaps you could get it posted out if in France long enough?
Not staying in one place for long enough!

Just in case you are passing this way.
VW California dealer/workshop SW France :
ETS LAVILLAUROY
2 Boulevard Benjamin Franklin
64230 LESCAR

Te: +33 (0)5 59 77 71 97

I wish we were a bit closer. I think the turbo has just gone. power seems to have gone and now the engine management light on......makes the regulator problem a little less concerning. ☹️ (Can we drive on a dead turbo). Just had the dam thing serviced, can belt changed etc

I wish we were a bit closer. I think the turbo has just gone. power seems to have gone and now the engine management light on......makes the regulator problem a little less concerning. ☹ (Can we drive on a dead turbo). Just had the dam thing serviced, can belt changed etc
You won't be driving far if the turbo has gone but its probably just
one of the sensors that is faulty.
Which light has flashed up?

You won't be driving far if the turbo has gone but its probably just
one of the sensors that is faulty.
Which light has flashed up?
Engine management light.

It may just be going into a limp mode, which there are many reasons for. Sometimes an ignition off / on may reset the system, otherwise, get a code read for the faults from any decent garage or VW assist if you have access to them.

It may just be going into a limp mode, which there are many reasons for. Sometimes an ignition off / on may reset the system, otherwise, get a code read for the faults from any decent garage or VW assist if you have access to them.
I think i was a bit early with turbo. Yes to limp to mode. Now i need to find a garage in France.....

Sounds like you are having a 'comes in threes' session so break something minor for the third.:Depressed

Good luck.

I think i was a bit early with turbo. Yes to limp to mode. Now i need to find a garage in France.....
Had this happen on 2 VW vehicles, typical EPC I think called, anyway bloody sensors ! not cheap too

Well it turned out not to be a defective turbo or EPC. It had just come from a service and the UK dealer had not correctly reattached the turbo....... the french dealer who we took it to, expecting it to be a pain to repair, was a bit embarrassed to give the van back to us after 20minutes and charging us for reattaching a couple of inlets/outlets........

Wow that is pretty bad on the UK dealers part, basic stuff. At least it was an easy fix in this instance.