Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Goodbye Brussels, hello Burnley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, I'm safe behind our dykes - what happens in the UK is not directly of my concern. Nevertheless I try to follow the news about the Brexit referendum (and the aftermath).

Now I lost completely what is happening at the other side of the canal. Even House of Cards seems to have a more realistic storyline than what is happening in reality in the UK at the moment.

I don't think the discussion about percentages is very useful (although interesting) since the country is split up in more or less 50% winners and 50% losers who fundamentally disagree with each other about what is needed to administer the nation. Democracy is in the end also about taking responsibility for your actions. Running away is just not that.

I hope Scotland will still be a possible holiday destination in October

Is this an admission that a leave supporter acted fraudulently?
Read the words: "has been hacked"
Have a look on the Internet, and that will explain what hacked means.
Ridiculous question anyway.

Is this an admission that a leave supporter acted fraudulently?
Read the words: "has been hacked"
Have a look on the Internet, and that will explain what hacked means.
Ridiculous question anyway.

Having said that, the precise poll figures were that 5 percent of Leave voters would change their vote now, versus 2 percent of Remainers. A three percent swing would of course not quite have nudged the result to Remain,

If I understand what you are saying correctly, yes it would.

48% + 5% - 2% = 51% remain
52% - 5% + 3% = 49% leave

Oh for heavens sake - give it a break or at least go and get a life.:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

No, in the theorised example Remain would still lose, although only just.

I know I said 'three percent swing' - I was trying to simplify and not imply an unreasonable precision from a single survey. But you really want to be that precise, the putative 'second vote remainers' would be calculated thus (based on a sample of 1,000 voters):

481 (first voters remainers @48.1%)
Less: 481 x 0.02 (switchers from remain to leave) = 10
Plus: 519 x 0.05 (switchers from leave to remain) = 26
= 497 (49.7%)

But the point I was trying to make wasn't about the precise maths based on a survey with a significant margin of error. It was that any reasonable person would conclude that the country's positions were and still are split evenly, for all practical purposes (other than that of who 'won' the referendum).

He decided to stay in and was rewarded with a treat and a cooling swim just around the bend.image.jpeg If only politics were that simple!

Statistics :headbang Alan if we go off the numbers on your chart only 32% or so of British people voted to leave, so clearly there is no mandate to leave.
I can't disagree with that. Was better than a general election though.

Alan

I'm really impressed by the stamina of the frequent posters on this thread.
Will it be a case of "last man standing"
Got to keep checking the thread to see who it will be:)

I see the much vaunted "getting our democracy back" from the EU has taken a back seat as we are almost certainly going to get another new Prime Minister forced on us without a vote. Never heard of her either, just looks like an over ambitious opportunist with little practical experience.

I see the much vaunted "getting our democracy back" from the EU has taken a back seat as we are almost certainly going to get another new Prime Minister forced on us without a vote. Never heard of her either, just looks like an over ambitious opportunist with little practical experience.

I assume you mean you haven't heard of Andrea Leadsom, not Theresa May? (Although May kept a cannily low profile throughout the campaign). ;)

Leadsom may well be a fine and honourable politician, but I nearly choked yesterday when I heard her proudly proclaim, without irony, her "real world experience"... which appears to consist entirely of a 20-year career in City banking! Sorry love, that's still a very long way from the real world that most of the electorate inhabit.

(Apologies to any forum members who work in financial services, no personal slight intended! :happy)

Hopefully after a period of calm we will get an election and have the opportunity to endorse or otherwise our new PM.
Interesting point on democracy is that anyone who voted conservative at the last election did so on the basis of a manifesto pledge to hold a referendum. You therefore wished to give the country a choice of leaving and they took you up on that choice.

Mike

It is interesting and I'm sure there will not be a shortage of our legal profession willing to make money out of the situation.
I have a fair degree of experience in the practical implementation of laws and one thing was for certain. It was always pretty clear what the spirit of the law was and whenever there was an attempt to shoehorn a set of circumstances to fit, it would end in tears.
The spirit on this occasion I would maintain is that we went in as the result of a referendum so a referendum to leave is valid in its own right.

Very good explanation on why the Remain campaign failed. I can't post it as it swears a little but it is funny........so it's PG and carries a warning.

Look up " What's that coming over the hill? The Tories"

My SIPS is down on UK stock. Property fund is down 10% and UK small companies about 9% from April's value. However my global / US stock is up about 12%.

We've put recruitment on hold. But have sufficient projects for the next 12months.

Very good explanation on why the Remain campaign failed. I can't post it as it swears a little but it is funny........so it's PG and carries a warning.

Look up " What's that coming over the hill? The Tories"

My SIPS is down on UK stock. Property fund is down 10% and UK small companies about 9% from April's value. However my global / US stock is up about 12%.

We've put recruitment on hold. But have sufficient projects for the next 12months.
Quite brilliant!

I have it bookmarked and will it save me having to endlessly explain my position. Thank you

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back