Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Google Maps via App Connect using IPhone

Mart123blue

Mart123blue

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am sure that when we first used our van with my wife's IPhone, Google Maps functioned correctly and was displayed on the vans screen. I think that I then pressed something (from memory the VW icon) and since then we cannot use Google Maps etc.

I've had a read through search results and it appears that you can only use Apple Maps with an iPhone which I am not at all keen on.

Please could someone clarify the situation I thought it would be simple to sort? :headbang

I am sure that when we first used our van with my wife's IPhone, Google Maps functioned correctly and was displayed on the vans screen. I think that I then pressed something (from memory the VW icon) and since then we cannot use Google Maps etc.

I've had a read through search results and it appears that you can only use Apple Maps with an iPhone which I am not at all keen on.

Please could someone clarify the situation I thought it would be simple to sort? :headbang
As Matt has suggested Google maps will become available next week but it has not ever been available before.(only ever apple maps)

Thanks I must have been imagining it working.

For the first time ever I will look forward to updating my phone

In the mean time I think its worth giving apple maps a go.
It's better than you may think. I'm not a lover of it on my Mac and always use google maps instead but forced down the road on the iphone through car play and it really is good.
For example, It will learn your regular journey if you commute the same route and know where home is from anywhere if you have these features enabled on the phone.
So everytime you plug in to carplay from a destination you don't even have to have route guidance on it will just keep updating your ETA and suggest quicker routes if there is a hold up somewhere. It also colours orange or red where the traffic jams are depending on severity of delays. If you use it as sat nav and key in a post code it more than rivalled my tom tom (i had them both set up) except no speed camera's.
have a play with using it.

Exactly, Apple maps is actually quite good. Its first next friday iOS 12 and third party navigation apps are supported on Carplay. We dont know when they will be ready. Waze (owned by google/alphabet) have starter beta testing their app with carplay support.

Exciting to see Waze in beta, I haven't seen the same for google maps yet so we probably need to expect a) a few days/ weeks for some apps to appear (IOS 12 just enables them to be present in CarPlay but as said above developers still need to develop the CarPlay capabilities within the apps for them to appear) and b) a bit buggy at first as they have not been through the same number of development / beta cycles as the OS yet.

I tried apple maps yesterday and it didn't seem to adjust once I left the prescribed route and then it just froze.

Tried again this morning totally via the touchscreen. Worked fine but slow as soon as I took a different turn it froze and showed ‘proceed to route’

Tried again this morning totally via the touchscreen. Worked fine but slow as soon as I took a different turn it froze and showed ‘proceed to route’
I don't know what to say about that, mine is as reliable as anything else I've had.

I know it’s weird, i’ve been using sarnavs since we used to download onto palm pilots and they all work in a similar way.

Then again my phone still has some corporate software remaining from 3 years working for a plc. I know it doesn’t recognise as many WiFi networks as my wife’s. perhaps that’s the issue. Will try again with my wife’s phone.

Which model iPhone are you using?

Back