Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Google Maps via App Connect using IPhone

I know that but some others promised that they will be available day 1 :)
Sorry to disappoint - the way Apple sold it - it looked like it was all sorted. Just dowloaded Waze - it looks like it could be a big improvement

I’ll give it a week or so in case of any issues with iOS 12

Mike

Have been playing with Waze today (Via Test Flight). Seems very good and includes the ability to report traffic or incidents via the touchscreen. Will give Google Maps a try tomorrow.

I've always been one of those 'hold out for as long as humanly possible' until updating iOS due to the usual worries - changes in look/way of working, battery life killed, phone slows to a crawl etc...

...but yesterday I took the leap (on my 6S) to go from 10 to 12 and for once - wow what an improvement. As so many reviewers have said, for once Apple have listened and yes, there are some small changes and additions (mostly to be applauded) but the main benefit is how much slicker and faster it seems - apps and the camera especially opening noticeably quicker and just a better user experience for sure.

Not seen any of the usual iOS complaints following updates so I'd say go for it right away.

I've always been one of those 'hold out for as long as humanly possible' until updating iOS due to the usual worries - changes in look/way of working, battery life killed, phone slows to a crawl etc...

...but yesterday I took the leap (on my 6S) to go from 10 to 12 and for once - wow what an improvement. As so many reviewers have said, for once Apple have listened and yes, there are some small changes and additions (mostly to be applauded) but the main benefit is how much slicker and faster it seems - apps and the camera especially opening noticeably quicker and just a better user experience for sure.

Not seen any of the usual iOS complaints following updates so I'd say go for it right away.

Yep I had a hunt around first and was then quite happy. Like you said it appears it’s mainly an upgrade of backend stuff.

Mike

I have an iphone 6 and haven't installed yet, waze support may be enough to convince me to change my RNS315 to a carplay equivalent (but I'll test in V's car first).

My only concern for io12, is that the iphone 6 already has an awful battery life, will I just make it even worse?

I have an iphone 6 and haven't installed yet, waze support may be enough to convince me to change my RNS315 to a carplay equivalent (but I'll test in V's car first).

My only concern for io12, is that the iphone 6 already has an awful battery life, will I just make it even worse?
apparently not...

My only concern for io12, is that the iphone 6 already has an awful battery life
Apple will replace your battery for £22 plus VAT & postage if applicable. Easiest way is to arrange it online, they send a box with prepaid postage, pop your phone in it and two days later it comes back with new battery. Just done it with my wife's 6s. :thumb

My battery isn't in bad condition I think at least according to the test anyway. I replaced it a couple of times myself. Must admit it is tempting to get apple to do it. :)

Ok I spent this afternoon restoring my phone to factory settings and updated to iOS 12, latest version of Apps etc. I thought everything would everything would be sorted, and went outside to check google maps.

The clean up means Strava now works with Garmin Connect, but now my phone won't connect to CarPlay when I plug the cable in. Also when I connect to my wireless headphones the sound still comes out of the phone.

is there something simple I can try?

Sorry to be a pain

I’m guessing you’ve gone into CarPlay in settings.?

On your phone.

Mike

Yeah go into CarPlay in settings, remove your vehicle, then plug it in again.

Re headphones, you can select the sound destination from Control Centre.

I hadn't, but everything seemed fine and i put google maps in main menu. Decided maybe I needed to use a genuine Apple cable (I'd had to switch during the restore once it loaded iOS 12).

Tried Apple cable and everything works fine including Google Maps, plugged in copy cable which I used 30 mins ago and it still works. :headbang

I've left the proper cable in just in case and I'm looking forward to using the new system on my way to the Dorset meet.

:thanks

ps Headphones now working fine.

Last edited:
All this talk of IOS 12 made me upgrade too. I haven't tried it in the Cali yet and I am unlikely to because I found that 2 of the (somewhat childish and somewhat fun) apps forIOS 12 don't work with the iphone 6.
So 1 month before being out of contract I sucked up the final payment and today I ordered an 8 Plus which should be with me tomorrow :thumb

Reactions: Loz
Yep, completely agree.
Just installed IOS12. Using google maps via CarPlay it is brilliant!
What do you find better about it than Apple maps?

I have it as well now and will of course try it out but i'm interested to hear why it feels brilliant in comparison.

What do you find better about it than Apple maps?

I have it as well now and will of course try it out but i'm interested to hear why it feels brilliant in comparison.

Hi 2020,
I don’t think I mentioned Apple maps?

I mearly agreed with a previous post and how the new release of IOS12 in conjunction with CarPlay has created such a brilliant navigation system.

Hi 2020,
I don’t think I mentioned Apple maps?

I mearly agreed with a previous post and how the new release of IOS12 in conjunction with CarPlay has created such a brilliant navigation system.

No you didn't....
But didn't you try apple maps with carplay before google maps was available?
I naturally assumed you were comparing apple maps (pre IOS 12) to google maps now IOS 12 has arrived.
Didn't you use navigation pre IOS 12 in carplay?

I’ve used Apple Maps with CarPlay for a few years.

Now tried Google Maps, looks better in my opinion, the satellite overlay looks fantastic.

The only thing missing is that Apple Map displays the current speed limit, something I find really useful. Hopefully Google Maps will add that soon.

Back